SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-06-13, 12:39 AM   #1
acofm89
Watch

Downloads: 11
Uploads: 0
Default Surface radar not working

So, after my last patrol I got a message saying my submarine was to be refitted and stuff removed from the conning tower. Afterwards I noticed I had to purchase all of my upgrades all over again, including for some reason the deckgun. Ok, I thought, no biggie. After I while though I noticed I wasn't picking up any radar contacts anymore. I checked and saw that I couldn't even swith the radar on. The icon was dark as if the surface radar wasn't even there. I thought I've might have forgotten to purchase the surface radar when I had to get all of the upgrades again, but when I checked the equipment list and sure enought it said the surface radar was installed on the boat. Just to be sure I loaded the autosave from before I set out and made sure I got everything to see if it would help, but to no avail; I still can't pick up ships on the radar or even switch the radar on. Any thoughts? Have anyone else experienced this or know of a fix? FYI, since people tend to ask about it, I'm running TMO 2.5.
acofm89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-13, 09:10 AM   #2
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

Sparky is sleeping in the aft torpedo room ... wake his fish tail up and tell him to fix it.
merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-13, 01:28 PM   #3
fireftr18
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77

I think it's a stock bug. I had the same thing happen also.
Old 04-06-13, 07:16 PM   #4
acofm89
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireftr18 View Post
I think it's a stock bug. I had the same thing happen also.
Did you find a workaround? I wonder if getting a new command or something like that would sort it out. So I guess it doesn't happen every time the boat is refitted right?
Old 04-06-13, 08:00 PM   #5
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by acofm89 View Post
Did you find a workaround? I wonder if getting a new command or something like that would sort it out. So I guess it doesn't happen every time the boat is refitted right?
Are you talking about surface search or air search radar?

In any case, a new command would be a new boat; the equipment isn't portable.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-13, 12:15 AM   #6
acofm89
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpX View Post
Are you talking about surface search or air search radar?

In any case, a new command would be a new boat; the equipment isn't portable.
Like the title of the thread says it's the surface radar At least as far as I know. I havn't come across any planes so I don't know if they show up. All I know is that the game treats it as if the surface radar isn't on the boat even though it is.

I thought that since the propblem started when my current porpoise had it's conning tower refitted maybe getting a new boat and installing new upgrades might make a difference. I'm just speculating
Old 04-07-13, 10:43 AM   #7
fireftr18
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77

Quote:
I think the next time I was in port between patrols, it fixed itself. Don't remember exactly.
Old 04-07-13, 12:49 PM   #8
raymond6751
Admirable Mike

Downloads: 421
Default Image not changed

The radar equipment still appears in the sub even if there is no radar installed. It just doesn't turn on. They even man the thing.

Check the name of your boat. It may not be the same one from last patrol.

It is best to know ahead of time that you don't have the radar. It would be a bad thing to think you have it and find an enemy unit coming fast.

Count your blessings.
Old 04-07-13, 05:48 PM   #9
acofm89
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond6751 View Post
The radar equipment still appears in the sub even if there is no radar installed. It just doesn't turn on. They even man the thing.

Check the name of your boat. It may not be the same one from last patrol.

It is best to know ahead of time that you don't have the radar. It would be a bad thing to think you have it and find an enemy unit coming fast.

Count your blessings.
It is the same boat as before, it's just had the aft fairweather of the conning tower cut down. Even if it was another boat there's no reason the radar wouldn't work since I've installed a new one anyway
Old 04-07-13, 07:11 PM   #10
acofm89
Watch

Found this;

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php...upgrade-Forums

I think it has the answer. I'm not great at understanding what Ducimus is proposing the solution is though since I'm seriously technically inept :p
Anyway, seems like the issue affects older boats, i.e porpiose, salmon and sargo
Old 04-07-13, 10:27 PM   #11
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Well, I looked at the thread and it seems like Ducimus couldn't nail down the problem (or he forgot to post any answer). Put it in the Unresolved Mysterious Game Bug bin.

I was thinking it might be advisable to do a conning tower upgrade first, then get your radars and such on the next patrol, lest your newly purchased radar gets scrapped along with your old tower. That probably wouldn't help, though.
Old 04-07-13, 11:46 PM   #12
acofm89
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpX View Post
Well, I looked at the thread and it seems like Ducimus couldn't nail down the problem (or he forgot to post any answer). Put it in the Unresolved Mysterious Game Bug bin.

I was thinking it might be advisable to do a conning tower upgrade first, then get your radars and such on the next patrol, lest your newly purchased radar gets scrapped along with your old tower. That probably wouldn't help, though.
Could be worth a try. Anyway, since the issue seems to only be affecting the pre-Tambor boats taking command of a newer boat should sort it out. I think the reason more people don't seem to have come across this bug is that often you'll probably be offered a new boat before the one you start with is due for a refit. At least that's always been the case for me. This time around though I passed when I was offered a new boat because I wanted to keep my Porpoise for whatever reason :p
Old 04-08-13, 11:58 PM   #13
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Quote:
I think the reason more people don't seem to have come across this bug is that often you'll probably be offered a new boat before the one you start with is due for a refit.
That would be my guess.
Old 07-23-15, 02:45 AM   #14
granite00
Torpedoman

Downloads: 162

I was offered a new boat and turned it down. The conning tower upgrade was forced on my Sargo class. I had to use renown to repurchase surface and air radar. The surface radar was installed, but the boat acted as if it wasn't installed. I left port, turned around and ended my patrol. Radar still showed as installed. Left for another patrol and the radar still won't work. Any suggestions or do I have to scrap the entire war career?

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific\MODS]
1_TriggerMaru_Overhaul_2-5
RSRDC_TMO_V502
RSRDC_V5xx_Patch1
1.5_Optical Targeting Correction 031312 for RSRDCv502
1.5_OTC for 5 to 4 Aspect Ratio RSRDCv502
Improved Ship Physics 2.6_TMO_RSRDC_OTC
OTC_ISP_Crew Mod
TMO_Visuals_for_RSRDC
Fixed_CD_sonar_RSRDC
IJN_Radar_Fix_2
Easier AI for TMO 2.5 by Orpheus
Old 07-23-15, 07:49 AM   #15
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by granite00 View Post
I was offered a new boat and turned it down. The conning tower upgrade was forced on my Sargo class. I had to use renown to repurchase surface and air radar. The surface radar was installed, but the boat acted as if it wasn't installed. I left port, turned around and ended my patrol. Radar still showed as installed. Left for another patrol and the radar still won't work. Any suggestions or do I have to scrap the entire war career?

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific\MODS]
1_TriggerMaru_Overhaul_2-5
RSRDC_TMO_V502
RSRDC_V5xx_Patch1
1.5_Optical Targeting Correction 031312 for RSRDCv502
1.5_OTC for 5 to 4 Aspect Ratio RSRDCv502
Improved Ship Physics 2.6_TMO_RSRDC_OTC
OTC_ISP_Crew Mod
TMO_Visuals_for_RSRDC
Fixed_CD_sonar_RSRDC
IJN_Radar_Fix_2
Easier AI for TMO 2.5 by Orpheus
You've got some good information here:

*Using a Sargo sub.
*Was offered to repurchase Radar (meaning you had working Radar with other conning tower?).
*Showed you had SJ (Surface Search) Radar installed, yet it wasn't able to be turned "on" when on patrol.

I've got a few more questions.

-What year/month did you start your game?
-What year/month did the conning tower upgrade take place?
-From where (which port)?
-Was this the first conning tower change made to your Sargo? I can post a few pictures of the Sargo conning towers to have you tell me which conning tower you had, and which one you received.

==========

One of the issues with the game is understanding what they didn't do with the radar. For all of us, the two different radar screens (A-Scope and the PPI) both are only for "Surface" radar (SJ) use. Not "Air" radar (SD) use. The SD Air Radar is on all boats at the start of the war, yet there is no "screen" to use to actually see it in action. You are notified by your Radar man that planes are approaching by reading the Message text, or you CAN see the planes on your Navigation Map screen if a mod hasn't removed the icons (like TMO does). But, your two Radar Stations won't show air planes UNLESS you have a mod that puts them on your screen (which OTC does).

To make it even more confusing, just because you have the ability to go to the two different radar stations and actually see them on your boat......doesn't mean they are actually there!! No sub at the war beginning (December 7, 1941) has a working SJ radar (even though the units are physically installed on your boats). You can go to their stations, see them turned off, yet you can't turn them on. The point is the dev's forgot to enable "covers" for the units (which by the way, are modeled in the files) to cover the units when you don't have them actually installed on the boat. But, this function doesn't work, they didn't write the proper script to make it happen, and we can't modify it.

So, you've got the two surface search radar units showing on the boat in the conning tower (or in the command room if its an S-Class sub) yet they won't turn "on" until the magic date of around mid 1942. Which is historically when all boats were given a chance to install the SJ units.....the A-Scope and PPI stations. Remember, the SD air search radar is already installed on the game's subs at the start of the war....it just doesn't use the two stations to inform you of an approaching plane. The Message text is all we get, or the Navigation Map would if a mod hasn't changed the stock function.

More to the point, I'm suspecting there's some dates being out of wack with the conning tower upgrades, or the tower unit equipment files are messed up. Either way, there may or may not be a way of fixing the problem of keeping radar after a new tower upgrade. It could be like the two radar station "covers" that were never scripted to be placed over the units when you shouldn't have SJ radar installed......can't be modified to work as expected.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 07-23-15 at 08:39 AM.
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote