SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-28-07, 05:56 PM   #211
d@rk51d3
Sea Lord

Downloads: 193
Uploads: 0

The Last Patrol. Documents the final patrols and last moments of all US subs lost in the Pacific.

Seems that reefs were almost as big a killer of the sub as the IJN was.

Last edited by d@rk51d3; 06-29-07 at 06:43 AM.
d@rk51d3 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-07, 10:32 PM   #212
flintlock
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 0
Default The Rising Sun: the Decline and Fall of the Japanese Empire, 1936-1945

Currently really enjoying John Toland's The Rising Sun: the Decline and Fall of the Japanese Empire, 1936-1945.

Fascinating book!
flintlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-07, 12:52 AM   #213
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Downloads: 68
Uploads: 7

Just finnished reading the man they couldnt kill a story about a submarineer who has more luck than red rum a very good book cost nothing as i found it in the rubbish at work, but a good read.

Find out about Museum Ships here: https://www.museumships.us/

Flickr for all my pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131313936@N03/

Navy general board articles: https://www.navygeneralboard.com/author/aegis/
Kapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-07, 10:48 PM   #214
XLjedi
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 53
Uploads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronblood
I've had two on my list for a long time...
On my next trip to the local Barnes & Noble (maybe tonight) :hmm:

Blind Mans Bluff
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Blind Man's Bluff is interesting. Account of peacetime "secret" stuff going on in the deep. I would be interested in your review or comments on this book, if you were so inclined.

Yeah OK... I did pick em both up last week and now I'm halfway thru 20k Leagues. I'll post back with a paragraph summary on Blind Man's Bluff in a week or two.

I never read Verne's book before and a few things standout...

1) If you're into animal conservation and such you probably won't appreciate what shows up on Nemo's menu.

2) "Nemo" means "Nothing" in Latin... He was basically tellin the professor you don't need to know my real name.

3) A "League" is equivalent to 3 nautical miles. I always had it in my head that "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" was referring to some great depth... It's the horizontal distance they travelled underwater, not the depth! :rotfl:
Old 07-06-07, 06:13 PM   #215
Iron Budokan
Sea Lord

Downloads: 32

Right now I'm reading The Deerslayer by James Fenimore Cooper. Not too bad.

About to finish Les Miserables by Victor Hugo. (I often read more than one book at a time.)

Finished in the last two weeks:

The Secret History of the CIA by Joseph J. Trento. Sucked. Propagandistic garbage that dwelled too much on conspiracy theories and not enough on fact.

Loyal Comrades, Ruthless Killers: The Secret Services of the USSR 1917-1991
by Slava Katamidze. Not too bad, could have used more depth but the author attempted to be fair to all parties involved.

The Parsifal Mosaic by Robert Ludlum. Not bad, enjoyable time waster. Ludlum was always a much better writer than he allowed himself to be.

I also picked up a copy of the new Weird Tales Magazine. Don't waste your time with this once great magazine. They've shucked their past and now want to be hip and street-wise. Sucked to high heaven. Lovecraft and Howard are rolling over in their graves.

Also read H.P. Lovecraft's Magazine of Horror. I highly recommend this magazine for horror afficionados. Not bad at all.

http://kennethmarkhoover.com
Iron Budokan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-07, 06:18 PM   #216
Iron Budokan
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintlock
Currently really enjoying John Toland's The Rising Sun: the Decline and Fall of the Japanese Empire, 1936-1945.

Fascinating book!
I read that, too, when I was in college. Fascinating read. Toland is a good historian, imo.

Old 07-07-07, 11:22 AM   #217
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee-V
Long ago I borrowed Roscoe's Sub Ops book & Blair's Silent Victory from the local library. My recollections of these is no doubt a conflation of the information from one book to the other. But I do remember my amazement at Silent Victory, blow by blow through the pacific. Good time to permanently add them to the shelf.

Anyway - GREAT books in this list!
Roscoe's books were written right after the war, and contain errors that had no time to be corrected, such as the U.S. submarine claim of sinking a Japanese carrier at Midway. Blair's work is much more recent, and has the benefit of newer information, especially the Japanese accounts of events.

@Yankee-V: I've never heard of the war patrol books, but I'll be looking at getting them now.
http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sear...ts=t&y=10&x=56
Old 07-07-07, 02:06 PM   #218
Subnuts
The Old Man

Downloads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve
Roscoe's books were written right after the war, and contain errors that had no time to be corrected, such as the U.S. submarine claim of sinking a Japanese carrier at Midway. Blair's work is much more recent, and has the benefit of newer information, especially the Japanese accounts of events.
The Price Of Admiralty, written by the usually well-regarded, said that the Kaga was hit by three torpedoes from Nautilus, which all exploded and broke the carrier in half.

The bizarre thing is, the book was written in 1989, years after everyone already knew the true fate of the Kaga and that Nautilus's attack was a failure. I don't know how that little blunder got in there!
Subnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-07, 05:27 PM   #219
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subnuts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve
The Price Of Admiralty, written by the usually well-regarded, said that the Kaga was hit by three torpedoes from Nautilus, which all exploded and broke the carrier in half.

The bizarre thing is, the book was written in 1989, years after everyone already knew the true fate of the Kaga and that Nautilus's attack was a failure. I don't know how that little blunder got in there!
Shouldn't John Keegan's name be in there somewhere?:rotfl:

I agree; it's funny how myths get perpetuated. When 'someone' misapplied the famous Edmund Burke quote on evil and responsibility to Hitler, I looked it up, and found a site which lists a great many variations on the quote, all showing how things get screwed up especially on the web, but also in supposedly 'researched' books.
Old 07-08-07, 12:17 PM   #220
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

U-Boats in the Mediterranean 1941-44 by Lawrence Patterson. Recommend it heartly to anyone interested
Old 07-08-07, 12:37 PM   #221
Bohemond
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 16

Operation Drumbeat By Michael Gannon
Bohemond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-07, 06:48 PM   #222
Iron Budokan
Sea Lord

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand.

Old 07-26-07, 03:57 AM   #223
Prof
Medic

Downloads: 2

I've just finished reading through both volumes of Blair's 'Hitler's U-Boat War' (I read 'Silent Victory' about a year ago). The detail in these books is quite staggering, though I often found it dry and repetitive as a result. I did find his attitude towards the U-boat campaign rather patronising and insulting. Regardless of the results in terms of tonnage, the psychological effect of the u-boats and the resources they tied up were very significant. Of course, Blair simply uses these facts to ridicule the British Admiralty.
He doesn't seem to understand that he was writing this book with the benefit of 50 years of hindsight and that the situation on the ground for both the Axis and the Allies was very different.

Now I'm starting 'Shattered Sword'...50 pages in and it's good so far!
Prof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-07, 10:11 PM   #224
SSBN629ERS
Swabbie

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintlock
Currently enjoying Antony Beevor's Stalingrad.
I enjoyed reading his "The Fall of Berlin, 1945"

Recently finished reading "Flyboys" by James Bradley. I highly recommend it.
SSBN629ERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-07, 01:50 AM   #225
LukeFF
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 5

Black Cross / Red Star Vol. 3 by Christer Bergstrom.
LukeFF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books