SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Classic Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-29-06, 01:42 PM   #1
SPQR
Nub

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Help! Got SH1 Running on XP...BUT....

Hi there!

Can anyone please help with this problem? I finally got SH1 to run on XP by following the advice in another thread and removing some of the movie files. The game loads and works fine BUT the mouse drags like it has half a ton of lead strapped to it. It takes literally 5 slides of the thing down the table to move a couple of inches.

I've been trying to get SH1 to run on XP for the past couple of years with no luck, now I get this far and this happens! Please help!

Thanks!

Last edited by SPQR; 07-29-06 at 01:53 PM.
SPQR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-06, 06:53 PM   #2
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPQR
Hi there!

Can anyone please help with this problem? I finally got SH1 to run on XP by following the advice in another thread and removing some of the movie files. The game loads and works fine BUT the mouse drags like it has half a ton of lead strapped to it. It takes literally 5 slides of the thing down the table to move a couple of inches.

I've been trying to get SH1 to run on XP for the past couple of years with no luck, now I get this far and this happens! Please help!

Thanks!
Hi SPQR. Follow the link below, it will give you a couple of different options for getting SH1 to work under XP.

http://www.subsowespac.org/sh_tech.shtml

If you should get stuck in trying either of the two methods listed in the link I've given you, PM me, I'll be more than happy to help.

cdrsubron7
cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-06, 05:25 AM   #3
SPQR
Nub

Downloads: 0

Thanks for that, but I think I'm going to give up. It's just not worth the hassle. I uninstalled the game (which was working fine apart from the mouse problem) and tried reinstalling it using the Dosbox info you linked to. At the very first step I tried to follow, creating a new shortcut, I'm told the target destination does not exist.

I've been 2 years trying to get this thing to work on XP, and I've now had enough. That's me finished with Silent Hunter.
SPQR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-06, 11:52 AM   #4
flyingdane
Weps

Downloads: 33

Quote:
Thanks for that, but I think I'm going to give up. It's just not worth the hassle. I uninstalled the game (which was working fine apart from the mouse problem) and tried reinstalling it using the Dosbox info you linked to. At the very first step I tried to follow, creating a new shortcut, I'm told the target destination does not exist.

I've been 2 years trying to get this thing to work on XP, and I've now had enough. That's me finished with Silent Hunter.

I had the same problem after I got Silent Hunter to run on xp, Heres how I fixed it.
Go to Start\Control panel\Printers and other hardware\Mouse\Pointer options Then select pointer speed and set it to fast, "Thats it happy hunting".
It denos't mtater waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, it's olny iprmoatnt taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae.The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelms.Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
flyingdane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-06, 08:30 PM   #5
MarkShot
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 93

The SH.BAT file I use which launches SH1 under VDMS.

Quote:
LH util\NoLFB.com
LH util\mousectl.com 3,4,5,7,9,10,11,12
sh
exit
I am using a utility for DOS that adjusts the mouse response curve. If you PM me an email address, I will send it to you (under 2k).
Old 07-30-06, 08:34 PM   #6
MarkShot
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 93

BTW no need to mess with your mouse behavior under XP. The above just tweaks it for SH1 only.
Old 07-31-06, 02:05 AM   #7
Drebbel
Dutch Sea Lord

Downloads: 1

I used DOSbox+D-fend, after downloading the software it took me just 10 minutes to set up.

I basically did what was listed on: http://www.subsim.com/ssr/tipdos.html

So no need for all the complicated tweak listed on the subsowespac website. I was amazed how easy this was to set up !
Drebbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-06, 01:17 PM   #8
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

The slow mouse is solved with a program that run s only with SH1. I have setup the game to work as explained in subsowespac and never had a problem :hmm:
Old 08-08-06, 03:27 PM   #9
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Quote:
I finally got SH1 to run on XP by following the advice in another thread and removing some of the movie files.
Using that method the best solution is to use the Keyboard shortcuts instead of the mouse:
http://www.valoratsea.com/Shcuts.htm

I use the method cdrsubron7 referred to: http://www.subsowespac.org/sh_tech.shtml and would be happy to help as well.

Art Anker
aanker is offline   Reply With Quote