SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-04-16, 05:56 PM   #1
Greystone
Sparky

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 0
Default Crew can't man deck gun

I did a search, but nothing addresses the particular problem here.
I'm playing vanilla, and regardless of what the weather is, I can't get the crew to man the deck or flak gun. When I click on the Deck Officer & choose the "Crew on Deck" option, the resulting icon choices are all greyed out except for the "Watch Crew" option, even with the weather report indicating Clear skies, no precipitation, no fog, and wind at zero meters per second.
When I drag a crew member onto one of the deck gun slots on the crew screen, a dialog box opens up saying "Can not man the guns when in rough waters", even with zero wind speed.
I tried modifying the NSS_Uboat7b.cfg file to up the limit on wind speed, etc, as outlined in several posts here, but this had no affect; ie: still all options greyed out except "Watch Crew".
I have not attempted to man the gun(s) myself yet, but even if that works, it still doesn't address the problem of getting the crew to man the gun(s).
Anyone had this problem & found a solution to it? Thanks.
Greystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-16, 09:14 PM   #2
Greystone
Sparky

Default Addendum

Turns out I can't personally man the guns either..
Guess the only solution is to live with it or reinstall & cross my fingers.
Old 03-06-16, 10:01 PM   #3
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Of course you can't man the gun if the crew aren't already doing so, just like you can't lock the UZO onto a target if the crew don't see it. it's a mistake, but there's not much we can do about it now.

I would say reinstall. I've never had that happen, but I can see where it's possible.

You might also try Jimbuna's All Weather Fix.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...do=file&id=391
Old 03-07-16, 09:49 PM   #4
Greystone
Sparky

Sorry there.. I made a kind of unconscious assumption that the reader was aware that not being able to man the guns - crew or myself - took place in sight of an enemy vessel within gun range. I know I can't man the guns when there's no target. I'll reinstall. Thanks for the All weather fix link.
Old 03-07-16, 10:57 PM   #5
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Probably my misunderstanding. I didn't mean "of course" as dismissive, but a feeble attempt at humor. I realize you're having a problem I've never encountered. It's just that stupid conundrum: If it won't let you put a crewman there, it won't let you man the gun yourself either. I hope you get it sorted out.
Old 03-08-16, 01:54 AM   #6
ivanov.ruslan
The Old Man

Downloads: 901

But is it possible that this problem is due to the fatigue of the crew and need to be adjusted in basic.cfg

Although the message was for the weather
ivanov.ruslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-16, 06:21 AM   #7
Zenia_M
Nub

Downloads: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greystone View Post
I did a search, but nothing addresses the particular problem here.
I'm playing vanilla, and regardless of what the weather is, I can't get the crew to man the deck or flak gun. When I click on the Deck Officer & choose the "Crew on Deck" option, the resulting icon choices are all greyed out except for the "Watch Crew" option, even with the weather report indicating Clear skies, no precipitation, no fog, and wind at zero meters per second.
When I drag a crew member onto one of the deck gun slots on the crew screen, a dialog box opens up saying "Can not man the guns when in rough waters", even with zero wind speed.
I tried modifying the NSS_Uboat7b.cfg file to up the limit on wind speed, etc, as outlined in several posts here, but this had no affect; ie: still all options greyed out except "Watch Crew".
I have not attempted to man the gun(s) myself yet, but even if that works, it still doesn't address the problem of getting the crew to man the gun(s).
Anyone had this problem & found a solution to it? Thanks.
Hello!
You have found a solution to this problem, I encountered the same problem and looking for its solution
Zenia_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-16, 01:45 PM   #8
Greystone
Sparky

Zenia M & everyone else; Yes, I found a solution. sort of...
I reinstalled and began a new career. When flak guns became available, the weather was almost always touted as the reason I, or the crew, couldn't use the gun. When weather permitted, it could be accessed, but the crewmember just stood there doing nothing, however I could jump in and fire at incoming aircraft. After upgrading from type IID to type VIIB, when in extremely calm weather, aircraft were spotted and I sent a crewman to the flak gun and, low and behold, he came through, firing at the incoming aircraft. However, this only occurred when the surface of the sea was calm with zero wind. I can't begin to fathom what's at work here; maybe it's fixed, maybe it only works sporadically. It'll be awhile before I can determine whether I or the crew can reliably man flak & deck guns.
Also, I'm going to have a look at weather mods that allow access to guns in any weather; I'm growing weary of denied access in any but the calmest of seas.
So, Zenia M, my suggestion is to reinstall & start over, get a flak gun and wait for calm seas and an attacking aircraft to see if the reinstall solved it; good luck..
Old 03-20-16, 02:09 AM   #9
Zenia_M
Nub

Downloads: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greystone View Post
Zenia M & everyone else; Yes, I found a solution. sort of...
I reinstalled and began a new career. When flak guns became available, the weather was almost always touted as the reason I, or the crew, couldn't use the gun. When weather permitted, it could be accessed, but the crewmember just stood there doing nothing, however I could jump in and fire at incoming aircraft. After upgrading from type IID to type VIIB, when in extremely calm weather, aircraft were spotted and I sent a crewman to the flak gun and, low and behold, he came through, firing at the incoming aircraft. However, this only occurred when the surface of the sea was calm with zero wind. I can't begin to fathom what's at work here; maybe it's fixed, maybe it only works sporadically. It'll be awhile before I can determine whether I or the crew can reliably man flak & deck guns.
Also, I'm going to have a look at weather mods that allow access to guns in any weather; I'm growing weary of denied access in any but the calmest of seas.
So, Zenia M, my suggestion is to reinstall & start over, get a flak gun and wait for calm seas and an attacking aircraft to see if the reinstall solved it; good luck..
Try disabling "Decks Awash" in Generic Patcher and OptionsFileEditorViewer.

I helped.

Sorry for this english
Zenia_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-16, 08:07 PM   #10
Greystone
Sparky

I finally threw up my hands and installed Jimbuna's All Weather Fix. Problem solved.
There is a downside though; the lookouts no longer wear rain gear during storms.