Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-11-15, 09:02 AM   #1486
VipertheSniper
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly View Post
Also, started watching the British series "Black Mirror". Only have seen the first two episodes, but especially the 2nd ep was great. 1st one was good too, but not that "futuristic".
That first episode was quite bizarre...
VipertheSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-15, 03:37 PM   #1487
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 109

Saw The Martian, great movie and great performance by Matt Damon. Enjoyed all the 2,5 hours!
Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-15, 09:13 PM   #1488
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes View Post
Saw The Martian, great movie and great performance by Matt Damon. Enjoyed all the 2,5 hours!
I feel like this movie is going to win a lot of awards...
Old 10-13-15, 04:36 AM   #1489
darius359au
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red October1984 View Post
It deserves them if it doe's ,it's one of the best movies I've seen in awhile!
Old 10-13-15, 11:42 AM   #1490
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

The Martian is on my "to watch"-list, which mean when it hits the store or my streaming service I'm going to see it.

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-15, 08:40 AM   #1491
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Just happened across this one on one of those Roku 7 day trial movie channels. 'Zatoichi The Blind Swordsman' a most excellent movie.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/zatoichi_2003/

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-15, 03:22 PM   #1492
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Not sure I really want to see the 'new' Zatoichi'; still a big fan of the old films from the 60s and 70s starring Shintaro Katsu. I'm not really fond of remakes, revivals, or updates of older, genre classic films...

BTW, the Rutger Hauer film "Blind Fury" was an adaptation of the original Zatoichi series of films. Not too bad, really...

<O>
Old 10-15-15, 03:32 PM   #1493
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
Rutger Hauer
That reminds me must dig out Split Second over the weekend to watch not forgetting strong coffee with lots of sugar and donuts and big bleeping guns.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-15, 04:18 PM   #1494
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red October1984 View Post
And I fully agree, it really impressed me. What a crazy ride!
I liked that Scott broke the silly unwritten Hollywood rules that usually apply for some typical scenes or conversations.

For example,

during the docking maneuver (powered by the Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS ) everything in the scene implied "uh oh, something's gonna happen", like the too-happy music, the warning signal that made the viewer think somethings wrong, the controllers reaction that looked alarmed for a second... but then everything's just...dandy!?
How dare you Ridley, someone had to die in that scene! Tzz!

And that is what I loved about it. The movie had some "standard scenes" we've all seen before - but it didn't follow the rules.

Thank you Ridley!
I'm tempted to give this a 10/10, because I can't think of anything that would justify a 9/10.

Edit: WAIT! I found something that - unfortunately - forces me to give it a 9/10, instead of a full deck.
The unnecessary censoring of "bad words". Like when they exchanged transmissions, his text said "Are you f____ng kidding me?" instead of, well, the real word.
This made me roll my eyes, I am sick of these hypocritical moral standards in the media and that really ruined a little bit of the movie for me.

Last edited by Nippelspanner; 10-15-15 at 04:45 PM.
Old 10-15-15, 04:56 PM   #1495
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nippelspanner View Post
The unnecessary censoring of "bad words". Like when they exchanged transmissions, his text said "Are you f____ng kidding me?" instead of, well, the real word.
This made me roll my eyes, I am sick of these hypocritical moral standards in the media and that really ruined a little bit of the movie for me.
Why, you knew exactly what he said so communication occurred. What would actually hearing the word add to the communication?

Were you really in doubt of what he said? Was his communication not understood? There are a lot of things that people do in real life that we don't need to see in a movie.
Old 10-15-15, 06:27 PM   #1496
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus View Post
Why, you knew exactly what he said so communication occurred. What would actually hearing the word add to the communication?
Realism, authenticity, making it believable?

I wasn't even talking about hearing, I was referring to the texts when he communicated using the hacked rover to communicate via Pathfinder.
I somehow struggle to believe that NASA scientists actually added a profanity filter just in case someone would use this thing someday and omgdarestodropanfbomb!

The purpose of this was to move along with questionable and in my opinion hypocritical moral standards.
Why hypocritical?
even by masking a word, or beeping out a word partially, you still project the 'real' word into someones head, so you basically said or wrote it anyways. This means that the whole idea of this censorship is BS to begin with. Ridley, or whoever, simply could have chosen a sentence that expresses the characters feelings/situation without the use of profanity, because using profanity but then censoring is... well I won't repeat myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus View Post
There are a lot of things that people do in real life that we don't need to see in a movie.
Speak for yourself.
I prefer authenticity over hypersensitivity any day and I guess I explained why this actually matters to me.
Old 10-15-15, 06:51 PM   #1497
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

San Andreas has premier on Oct 19 on my streaming service. Are thinking of hiring this movie and watch it on my TV.

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-15, 06:55 PM   #1498
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
San Andreas has premier on Oct 19 on my streaming service. Are thinking of hiring this movie and watch it on my TV.

Markus
A well meant advice?
Don't!

Instead do this:
1. Take the money.
2. Put it on Grill.
3. Ignite Grill.
4. Watch money burn.

And I can almost ensure you that this will be...
a) less of a waste of money and
b) more entertaining as well as
c) less painful to witness

And while I wrote that in a rather dramatic way - I still mean it.
Old 10-15-15, 07:14 PM   #1499
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nippelspanner View Post
If you really want a laugh, it is common practice for English language films and TV series dubbed for Spanish-speaking audiences to censor "bad language"; what is interesting is how they do the censoring. A very broad range of offensive language in native Spanish is proscribed by law in many Spanish speaking countries (a concession to the heavily Catholic citizenry), so merely substituting a Spanish word won't do; instead, they just dub in the word "maldición" which literally translates to "curse" or "bad word". So when they show "Snakes on a Plane" to Spanish speaking audiences, they get to hear Samuel L. Jackson proclaim, in Spanish, "I HAVE HAD IT WITH THESE BAD WORD SNAKES ON THIS BAD WORD PLANE!"...

<O>
Old 10-19-15, 01:20 PM   #1500
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Had a James (Daniel Craig) Bond day yesterday watching his first three films and was left wondering this secret organization runs thought these films leading up to his new one?

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
films, movie, movies