SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-13-13, 10:41 PM   #1
Airborne101
Swabbie

Downloads: 26
Uploads: 0
Default h.sie V16B1 & SH3 Commander comparability issue?

I am currently running SH3 on Steam with GWX3, SH3 Commander, and most reacently h.sie's V16B1 hardcode fixes.

However I have noticed an issue, and I am not sure if it only happening to me. I appended the en_menu.txt and de_menu.txt files with the additional text that h.sie provided. Both save fine, and upon restarting my computer, the appended text is as it should be. Starting the game through the SH3 shortcut I have on my desktop, everything works fine. I see the addition replys from the CE such as oxygen reports from 21 to 17%

The issue arises when I try and start a new campaign or continue a campaign through SH3 Commander. Should I start the game through Commander, I lose the additional text I appended to the en_menu.txt file. de_menu.txt is unaffected though. So now when I go on patrol, sometimes the CE says something, but there is no text.

Anybody else having this issue with V16B1 and SH3 Commander? Any ideas on fixes? Or do I just have to start patrols through the SH3 shortcut?
Airborne101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-13, 12:29 AM   #2
sublynx
Sea Lord

Location: In the conning tower of my VIIC scanning the sea through the periscope
Downloads: 173
Uploads: 7

v16 and SH3cmdr combination works with me, so it is possible to have them both. Unfortunately I have no idea why commander messes your game, though. My guess is that somewhere in your SH3commander files there could be an alternative txt file. Maybe you can try finding all the en_menu.txt files on your computer with the search function of your Windows
sublynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-13, 03:55 AM   #3
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

I don't have that H.Sie mod so don't know exactly how it works. (well, it's been a while since I looked at it) But the game uses en_menu.txt or de_menu.txt depending on a configuration setting in the game options. Do you normally see the English language or German language presented in text in the game? The appropriate file would have to have been edited with the H.Sie modifications. I guess you made changes to the file that the game is not using.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-13, 07:21 AM   #4
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

AFAIK, there is no compatibility issue between V16B1 and SH3 Commander. Many people on this forum use both successfully.

It sounds like you may have SH3 Commander set up to overwrite menu_en.txt. Uninstall Commander completely and reinstall it. Do not make any changes to Commander (except to add the .cfg file changes if you are using GWX or NYGM). That should get you to a clean baseline and eliminate the problem.
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-13, 11:16 AM   #5
Airborne101
Swabbie

Downloads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
Do you normally see the English language or German language presented in text in the game? The appropriate file would have to have been edited with the H.Sie modifications. I guess you made changes to the file that the game is not using.
H.Sie's instructions are to modify both de and en menu.txt files. I normally see English language (I use English text and German voices), however it is always the en_menu.txt that SH3cmdr reverts back to stock forum.

BigWallace, I will give that a try and report back.

EDIT: That indeed seemed to do the trick. Odd through, as I don't recall telling SH3cmdr to overwrite the files. I suspect is might have been the fact that I have been forgetting to Rollback before making changes in JSGME and installing the V16B1 patch kit.

Last edited by Airborne101; 09-14-13 at 11:35 AM.
Airborne101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-13, 11:28 AM   #6
desertstriker
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 998

there is a very quick fix and it was made by WB. pretty easy to install just follow the instructions in the mod.
username Maik
Password Woelfe

ftp://hartmuthaas.no-ip.org/public/S...nu%20patch.rar
desertstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-13, 03:37 AM   #7
Tinman764
Chief

Downloads: 177

I'm also getting this - though I haven't tested SH3 by starting it without Cmdr, I have double checked the text files and they should be fine. Strangely, I have used this combo in a previous installation without any issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertstriker View Post
there is a very quick fix and it was made by WB. pretty easy to install just follow the instructions in the mod.
username Maik
Password Woelfe

ftp://hartmuthaas.no-ip.org/public/S...nu%20patch.rar
Unfortunately, when I try to unzip this file I get a broken file error
Tinman764 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-13, 03:56 PM   #8
desertstriker
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 998

try this one http://www.mediafire.com/download/5i...menu_patch.rar
desertstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-13, 04:19 PM   #9
Tinman764
Chief

Downloads: 177

The download worked, I'll try it out tomorrow. Thanks!
Tinman764 is offline   Reply With Quote