SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-20-24, 12:11 PM   #181
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184
Uploads: 0

TENSE WAIT Japan’s space agency gives update on Moon mission as spacecraft encounters problems following landing

JAPAN'S SLIM moon lander has successfully touched down on the lunar surface - but officials fear all is not well.
Although the craft is in communication with earth it has encountered a technical problem that could jeopardise the mission.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tech/254181...hen-peregrine/
Old 01-20-24, 01:50 PM   #182
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Clam makes comeback from extinction off shores of Croatia

Quote:
PULA, Croatia Dec 8 (Reuters) - A huge clam that was on the verge of extinction has made a comeback, with a surge in numbers in waters off Croatia, marine biologists say.
The clam, known as the noble pen shell or pinna nobilis, started dying out as a deadly pathogen spread in parts of the Mediterranean around 2016.
Numbers plummeted across the region and, until recently, scientists in Croatia only knew of around 10 surviving in their corner of the Adriatic.
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe...ia-2023-12-08/

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-24, 08:07 AM   #183
Moonlight
Admiral

I'm a childless man - I respect stay-at-home-mothers, but it's not a real job, it's easy and a privilege

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...a-outrage.html

What a daft bat this currant is, doesn't he know that cleaning a house and bringing up a child is the hardest job in the world to do, he needs to keep his bleeding mouth shut or he'll have the knickerati howling for his blood.
When I came home from school my tea was cooked and if the old man had got in early and had interrupted mothers routine he would be in the dog house for a couple of days, he spent a lot of time looking after his garden flowers. Girl Power was as active in the 60's and 70's as it is now.
Old 01-21-24, 11:40 AM   #184
Moonlight
Admiral

Rule Britannia should not be played at Proms, says Nottingham cellist Sheku Kanneh-Mason

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainm...4bdf778c&ei=46

I don't remember the British public asking for your opinion on this matter, so STFU you currant.
Old 01-21-24, 02:30 PM   #185
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

6-legged spaniel undergoes surgery to remove extra limbs and adjusts to life on 4 paws

Quote:
LONDON (AP) — A spaniel born with six legs that was found abandoned in a supermarket parking lot is now like other dogs after having her extra limbs surgically removed.

Ariel, who was named for “The Little Mermaid” character because the additional appendage with two paws on the end looked like a flipper, ran through the grass outside a veterinary hospital Saturday as she adjusted to life on four legs.

“She is doing brilliantly,” said Vicki Black, director of the Langford Vets Small Animal Referral Hospital, where she was operated on Thursday.

The dog, who had multiple birth defects, was found in the center of Pembroke, Wales, in September. Greenacres Rescue took her in and raised funds for her surgery.

Black said the hospital, which is part of the University of Bristol, had never seen a six-legged dog or performed such an operation.

“Ariel was a complicated little dog,” Black said. “We are a center committed to career-long learning and are proud to innovate and treat pets like Ariel.”

The extra legs extended from the right hindquarter and appeared to be of no use, dangling beside her wagging tail, as she walked a bit awkwardly in a video shot before the operation.

On Saturday as she was discharged, she took to the lawn outside the hospital with the determination of a bird dog, nose to the ground and pulling on her leash. Just like any other dog.
https://apnews.com/article/sixlegged...dca6f0eb4c7c8b

Old 01-21-24, 02:39 PM   #186
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
Rule Britannia should not be played at Proms, says Nottingham cellist Sheku Kanneh-Mason

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainm...4bdf778c&ei=46

I don't remember the British public asking for your opinion on this matter, so STFU you currant.
The Proms - that's a pop classical event isn't it? I wouldn't pay much heed to a pop musician - he's probably only trying to advance his 'celebrity' status
Old 01-21-24, 02:40 PM   #187
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

^ Not very successfully in my estimation.

Old 01-22-24, 06:29 AM   #188
Moonlight
Admiral

EXCLUSIVERochdale grooming gang ringleader, 54, is STILL living in Britain nearly nine years after he was meant to have been deported to Pakistan over sickening child sex offences

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-offences.html

This is the Tories idea of taking control of our borders is it?, whereas the Labour Parties idea would be to invite the scum of the world to come and live here rent free. Rishi Sunak and Keir Starmer are not worth voting for, one's a Wanker and the other one's a Tosser, its not a choice I'll be making.
Old 01-22-24, 01:00 PM   #189
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Deadly brain-attacking dolphin virus found in animal poo - and humans can catch it

Quote:
Top boffins have found traces of a deadly disease in the poo of one of the world's most loved animals.

Expert researchers from the University of Hawaiʻi Health and Stranding Lab have announced that they managed to find traces of a disease called Fraser's Morbillivirus in the faeces of dolphins. The virus – which is a strain of human measles – has a significant impact on dolphins, and other marine animals, causing issues with breathing and the brain.

It is normally found in Fraser's dolphins, which are usually found in the Pacific Ocean, but are seen in the Indian and Atlantic oceans, too. And the experts are worried about the new findings leading to an outbreak in the disease in those areas which would have a “devastating” effect.

The discovery was made after they collected the poo from stranded dolphins, and found that it was present in the samples. They also found that they could even detect it in seawater – without having to extract poo from dolphins.

The report, published in Marine Mammal science stated: “We report on the successful detection of Fraser's dolphin Morbillivirus in the faeces of an infected animal where (the virus) was amplified . . . up to a simulated seawater dilution of 1:1,000. This demonstrates the potential for disease screening of wild cetacean faecal samples that could be used to study the spread of pathogens and serve as an important diagnostic tool to assess cetacean health.”

And Kristi West, lead author and an associate researcher explained: “This is the first time that a pathogen responsible for mass mortalities of dolphins and whales, and that affects multiple organ systems other than the digestive tract, has been demonstrated in the faeces of whales and dolphins.

“Morbilliviruses have been responsible for mass mortalities of dolphins and whales during outbreak events. This study recommends that permitted research vessels studying dolphins and whales collect faecal samples using flasks and nets to test for disease.”

Despite morbiliviruses being found in humans, there have been no cases of animal to human infection so far.
https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/wor...virus-31941636

Old 01-23-24, 08:54 AM   #190
Moonlight
Admiral

EXCLUSIVEIs YOUR data safe? As the 'Mother of all Breaches' sees 26billion records leaked online, experts reveal how to check if your emails or passwords have been compromised

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...mpromised.html

Quote:
Mantas Sasnauskas, head of security research at Cybernews, told MailOnline the team are working to ensure that the tool includes all the records from this new breach.

Mr Sasnauskas says that more than 70 per cent of records leaked by the MOAB breach have already been registered on the tool.

Because the MOAB is a combination of historic breaches and new material, only around a third of the leaked data has not been previously released.

This means that the data leak checker will still probably show whether your data was included in this latest breach.
These online companies are not keeping your data safe and they should be punished for being so lackadaisical with your information, what ever fines they get (if any) is clearly not enough, its time they were given a smack in the mouth instead of a slap on the wrist.

Your personal data was found in the following data leaks: Twcenter.net, Exploit.in, Collection #4, Anti Public Combo List, Collection #2, Collection #1, Breach Compilation

It was detected 7 times in leaked databases

Twcenter.net was at least 10 years ago so that's an historical breach, only other concern would be Adobe and even then it was back in 2019, I bought one thing and haven't been on it since. No twitter, Facebook, Instagram or any other Social Media sites either.
If their are any strange posts from me on this site it means I've finally been taken over by the Zombies, beware the Zombies people.
Old 01-23-24, 09:29 AM   #191
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

A soccer fan plucked from the crowd to officiate an FA Cup match couldn’t cheer when his team scored

Quote:
A fan of English soccer club Wolverhampton was unable to celebrate his team’s late winner in an FA Cup replay — because he’d been plucked from the crowd to stand in as a match official.

Ross Bennett attended the Wolves-Brentford game on Tuesday with his 11-year-old son and volunteered to fill in as the fourth official in the technical area near the dugouts following an injury to one of the assistant referees in extra time.

Bennett, a qualified referee at youth level, said he was given a “crash course” on how to work the substitutes’ board and dealt with questions from members of the Brentford staff in a tense end to the match at Molineux.

The hardest part of his new job might have been when Matheus Cunha converted the penalty that ultimately sealed a 3-2 win for Wolves and an eagerly anticipated fourth-round match against local rival West Bromwich Albion.

“I was just gutted that I couldn’t celebrate our goal,” Bennett told the BBC. “I had to stay neutral.

“Inside I’m screaming, thinking, ‘I’m off to the Hawthorns in less than two weeks.’ I thought, ‘I’m the only Wolves fan in here not celebrating.’”

Bennett had to be up early for work on Wednesday but still spent time in the referees’ room after the match.

“It’s a once-in-a-lifetime thing and it’s never going to come about again,” he said, adding: “It still doesn’t feel real that it happened.”
https://apnews.com/article/fa-cup-wo...37d7c98985158a

Old 01-24-24, 01:43 PM   #192
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Man who spent £12,000 turning himself into a dog is 'sad' at fetish 'misconception'

Quote:
A man who forked out £12,000 to transform himself into a dog has opened up about being "sad" about the "misconception" around him becoming a dog.

It's hard to not love dogs, but one man loves them so much he decided to make himself into a huge furry pooch. Toco, from Japan has spent a staggering two million Yen on a human-sized collie costume so he could look like his favourite breed of canine and fulfil his lifelong ambition.

However Toco has shared the reality behind his journey, admitting he gets upset when trolls judge him. He previously told The Mirror that he feared 'coming out' in real life because of the reaction he gets and said: "I rarely tell my friends because I am afraid they will think I am weird. My friends and family seemed very surprised to learn I became an animal.

"Since childhood, I have had this unspecific fantasy of becoming an animal. I wonder whether it was a desire for transformation," he added. Despite forking out thousands of pounds on a hyperrealistic collie costume, Toco still struggles with people's perceptions of his hobby.

When asked about the negative remarks he gets around fetish, Toco told The New York Post: "I'm just sad that people can think that. I love animals and enjoy play-acting like a collie. This is my hobby, so I will carry on. It makes me happy and other people happy, too."

He regularly shares 'day in the life' videos on his YouTube channel as he learns how to eat, play and train like a pooch - with thousands of viewers watching. In one video titled "I want to be an animal" Tocco can be seen on a walk along the street, sniffing other dogs in the park as well as having a roll around on the floor.

Channeling his canine alter-ego is an ongoing process for Tocco, as he enjoys "doing things that only dogs do" as it makes him feel like a real pet. He also enjoys tummy rubs and mimicks the movements of a collie.

Toco eats fake dog food, lays in a hammock and even has his own cage. However it's the human activities where he still needs his hands that prove to be more of a struggle, as his paws get in his way.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-...rning-31948120

Old 01-25-24, 02:08 PM   #193
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Person who ate too much kebab called for ambulance, service in Wales reveals

Quote:
A person called for an ambulance after eating too much kebab, a service has revealed.

Further 999 calls were made in Wales because someone had misplaced their false teeth, and another had their hand stuck in a letterbox.

A lost voice and a ring stuck on a finger prompted other inappropriate calls to the Welsh Ambulance Service.

The service had 414,149 calls last year and of those, 68,416 were not a life-or-death emergency, it said.

That's an average of 188 calls a day which has prompted the trust to remind people only to dial 999 if someone is seriously ill or injured.

Andy Swinburn, executive director of paramedicine, said "inappropriate calls put additional strain on an already over-stretched service".

"Our plea to the public is to apply your common sense - most people know the difference between a real emergency and something that is uncomfortable, painful or irritating but not life-threatening," he said.

Executive director of operations, Lee Brooks, said the service needed the public "to take some ownership and accountability for their health and wellbeing" and that NHS services were "stretched beyond measure".
https://news.sky.com/story/person-wh...veals-13054587

Old 01-26-24, 09:10 AM   #194
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Klopp leaves Liverpool at the end of this season.

Old 01-26-24, 12:08 PM   #195
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

In wintry Minnesota, there’s a belief that every snowplow deserves a name

Quote:
Snowplows are essential to enduring winter in Minnesota, so maybe it’s not surprising that every year thousands of people vote on names for the giant machines that clear the state’s roads, such as Plowy McPlowFace and Darth Blader.

The often-icy state began naming its 800 plows in 2020 and is expected to announce winners of its 2023-2024 Name a Snowplow contest early next week, adding eight selections to more than three dozen names that already grace trucks scraping snow off Minnesota highways.

“We definitely know snow in Minnesota, and anyone who lives up here knows the challenges of those conditions and the challenges of trying to keep roads safe for folks to travel during the winter,” said Anne Meyer, a spokesperson for the Minnesota Department of Transportation, which hosts the contest.

The agency knew officials in Scotland had named snowplows for years and decided a similar effort in Minnesota might draw attention to their winter work, Meyer said.

The response in the first year of the contest was overwhelming, with about 24,000 submissions and 122,000 votes cast. Participation has dropped over the years but remains strong, with about 8,000 submissions for the latest contest.

Besides Plowy McPlowFace and Darth Blader, winners over the years include Blizzard of Oz, Scoop Dogg and Han Snolo. Top names often have Minnesota connections. F. Salt Fitzgerald was a nod to St. Paul-born author F. Scott Fitzgerald, while The Truck Formerly Known As Plow recognized musician Prince, who for a time famously declined to be recognized by a spoken name.

The response in Minnesota has prompted states and cities across the country to hold similar contests to name snowplows, from Alaska and California to Ohio and Massachusetts.

New Mexico launched its first name-a-snowplow contest this winter, drawing more than 1,500 submissions and 23,000 votes to name 12 of the state’s 400 plows. Winners included Sleetwood Mac, Mr. Snow it All and Billy the Skid, acknowledging the New Mexico roots of the gunslinger Billy the Kid.

“There’s a natural infatuation with (snowplows),” said Kristine Bustos-Mihelcic, a spokesperson for the New Mexico Department of Transportation. “They’re big, huge trucks. They look great on the road, and they are such a visual statement to the core of DOT, which is helping people get to their destination safely.”

Lincoln, Nebraska, also held its first snowplow-naming contest this year. More than 2,300 people voted to name eight city plows, with Clearopathra taking honors as the top selection.

“We hope this helps develop a closer relationship with people, and we can show them that we are human, too,” said Erika Hill, a spokesperson for Lincoln’s Transportation and Utilities department. “We’re laughing along with them about some of these great names.”

Plowy McPlowFace is a favorite in many of the contests, in part because it harkens back to a rejected online vote in 2016 to name a British polar research vessel Boaty McBoatface. Although that choice garnered more than three times the votes of its closest competitor, officials opted to name the ship after naturalist Sir David Attenborough.

Minnesota plans to keep its contest going in coming years and Meyer noted each plow keeps its name, which is displayed along the side of the vehicle.

“We’ve got 800 snowplows statewide for the Minnesota Department of Transportation, so we have a lot of snowplows to name,” Meyer said.
https://apnews.com/article/minnesota...568233ee8b1dad