Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-14-13, 05:26 AM   #136
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernherVonTrapp View Post
Ah, so, I'll have to watch that one. I don't recall having seen it before.
And, yes, the Det. (Prince Of The City) leaves the room after saying, "You're thee Det. Ciello? I don't have anything to learn from you." (or something to that effect).
Yes, the film is a Hong-Kong film: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infernal_Affairs

And yes, I saw the film once, very good and like it. I also like Serpico, but I saw that after seeing a documentary about the person and the history and felt that the movie lack something.
Well, will try go to (re) see the Prince Of The City!
Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-13, 06:52 AM   #137
BossMark
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 278

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybermat47 View Post
Was William Hartnell in that?
Yes he was
Old 06-14-13, 10:01 AM   #138
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

I ended up only watching Saints and Soldiers and Crash Dive yesterday.

I really enjoyed Crash Dive. For all of it's inaccuracies, it was a great movie. It was made during the war so the inaccuracies are forgivable.

Saints and Soldiers was decent. I liked it. It's not on par with Band of Brothers, Enemy At The Gates, etc...but it's a good war movie.

The rest I'll watch this week.
Old 06-14-13, 11:30 AM   #139
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Watched Star Wars I-III last weekend, this weekend IV-VI tweaked by George.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-13, 12:00 PM   #140
WernherVonTrapp
Admiral

Downloads: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red October1984 View Post
Saints and Soldiers was decent. I liked it. It's not on par with Band of Brothers, Enemy At The Gates, etc...but it's a good war movie.

The rest I'll watch this week.
Saints And Soldiers is actually based on a true story. How accurate? I don't know. I do know it was an Independent Film on a limited budget and won just about every award (16 in total, I think) the Independent Film Organization has, including their equivalent of the Oscar. Most of their limited budget went to the same film company (if I remember correctly) that was used in Saving Private Ryan in order to get that same, washed-out, color, effect.
"What is truth?"
-Pontius Pilate
WernherVonTrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-13, 12:15 PM   #141
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernherVonTrapp View Post
Saints And Soldiers is actually based on a true story. How accurate? I don't know. I do know it was an Independent Film on a limited budget and won just about every award (16 in total, I think) the Independent Film Organization has, including their equivalent of the Oscar. Most of their limited budget went to the same film company (if I remember correctly) that was used in Saving Private Ryan in order to get that same, washed-out, color, effect.
The second one is based on a true story too.

They're both good films. Not the best....but I couldn't pick a best war film if I tried.
Old 06-16-13, 05:41 PM   #142
STEED
Lucky Jack

Watched Ghost busters on TV...Man those special effects were bad back then.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 06-16-13, 06:01 PM   #143
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEED View Post
Try watching Poltergeist.
Old 06-16-13, 06:53 PM   #144
WernherVonTrapp
Admiral

Downloads: 105

Quote:
Hah, you think those effects are bad. Try watching some of the old 50s episodes of Buck Rogers. I swear I thought I saw the actual wire that the rocketship glides along on, and those sparks trailing off downward as the ship moves laterally.
Back then, it was pretty hot stuff, but I guess you actually had to see it on B&W TV to appreciate it.
"What is truth?"
-Pontius Pilate
WernherVonTrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-13, 09:33 PM   #145
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red October1984 View Post
Try watching Poltergeist.
True - the fx don't hold up well, but I think both of those movies are still great fun to watch because they don't rely on fx only for their impact, unlike a lot of movies of that sort which, when they fx become dated, will be utter crap because that's all they've got going for them.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-13, 09:53 PM   #146
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by frau kaleun View Post
True - the fx don't hold up well, but I think both of those movies are still great fun to watch because they don't rely on fx only for their impact, unlike a lot of movies of that sort which, when they fx become dated, will be utter crap because that's all they've got going for them.
*cough* BATTLESHIP! *cough*

*whispers* and a lot of other movies...
Old 06-17-13, 07:01 AM   #147
STEED
Lucky Jack

The worst fx was those demon hounds in Ghostbusters one minute they were big and the next small. It was bad back then as I recall, apart from that true to say a better film than the rubbish they pump out now.

Old 06-17-13, 11:34 AM   #148
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

I think the ease of CGI actually hinders creativity and causes films to loose depth.Now a movie like the up coming "Pacific Rim" will likely have a lot of CGI but it is a throw back to Godzilla movies which are about some monsters fighting each other.The problem is that many movies use all CGI but have no "soul" when they need soul for example "Avatar" that movie was just a bunch of CGI.

"Enemy at the Gates" is one of my least favorite war films because it is loaded with inaccuracies for starters Vasily Zatsev did not have a pampered pretty boy face like Jude Law he had a very square jaw and was not a particularity handsome man in any way.He never had a sniper girlfriend there was a female sniper mentioned in the book "Enemy at the Gates" but it has be so long since I read that book I do not recall her name but I do recall that she had nothing to do with Zatsev.The female sniper played by Rachael Wiess is most likely loosely based on Roza Shanina(54 kills a believable number given her time in combat 44-45) and Lyudmila Pavlichenko (who had 309 confirmed kills most likely exaggerated by Soviet propaganda as where Zatsev's). There also was no "Major Konig".

Sorry it just irritates me when movies make the based on true story or that claim to be historically accurate when they are far from it.Only "Band of Brothers" can make such a claim and be honest and they did add some things here and there to that for dramatic effect."The Pacific" was probably around 70% accurate with a bit more story added to it."Enemy at the Gates" is about 15% accurate being generous.

Based on a true story is a gimmick to get people interested in certain types of films.Not to say that some films using this claim are all poor films but many are using a truck load of creative license and not telling you so unless you know the actual facts you do not know that you are being lied to and walk away believing something that is not in fact true.That for me is a problem because most people do not take the time to actually learn the true story and walk away believing a lie.

Last edited by Stealhead; 06-17-13 at 12:10 PM.
Stealhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-13, 12:41 PM   #149
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealhead View Post
Only "Band of Brothers" can make such a claim and be honest and they did add some things here and there to that for dramatic effect."The Pacific" was probably around 70% accurate with a bit more story added to it."Enemy at the Gates" is about 15% accurate being generous.
I think Band of Brothers and The Pacific can be excused. Those are great. I wouldn't change either one much.

We've also got another miniseries coming about the ETO Air War....so we'll see how that one goes.
Old 06-17-13, 04:09 PM   #150
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

Quote:
Watched Star Wars I-III last weekend, this weekend IV-VI tweaked by George.

I am keeping my original Starwars recordings in a safe place. I want to be able to show the grand kids the way it was supposed to be.

Tags
films, movie, movies