SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-06-08, 01:59 PM   #526
KapiteinP
Watch

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelifecrisis
Even in calm weather you should not get spotted first unless you're going quite fast... but you said your speed made no difference?
Indeed, I was spotted even at 1/3 fahrt. But like you wrote this is most probably due to GWX and has nothing to do with this mod. If the same situation appears again I will make a post of it in the GWX 2.1 thread.
KapiteinP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-08, 02:49 PM   #527
rik007
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 117

Hi OnelifeCrises, I just started to use the supermod and I checked the threads because I'm affraid my question will be asked before but I cannot find it so I have to ask.

I noticed that me scope is being spotted earlier than in GWX. For example now the auxiliar cruiser in Happy Times finds my scope at a distance of 1,7 Km (my speed is 0 knots). Which for 1940 is a little too uber. As I checked the documentation it states that during daytime enemy ships can see the same as in GWX, give or take a tiny bit. So what can or should I expect in daylight and can I adapt this so I get GWX behavior?
rik007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-08, 03:03 PM   #528
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 3
Default Visual Sensors

Well I guess there's no getting around this: I'll have to look into them in more detail. One thing I can say for sure is: OLC Ubermod sensors will never be identical to GWX 2.1 sensors. I changed colours, and colours affect sensors, so getting things identical to GWX is simply not possible. I can test for differences and if I find any I can try to "rebalance" things, but it will take time and I don't have much of that at the moment... so to those experiencing problems, all I can say for now is "like it or lump it".

What time I do have has recently been spent playing the game, for the most part, instead of modding it. I started playing with GHX 2.1 + OLC Ubermod in 9/39 and I'm now in 12/40. So far, visual sensors seem a little different to GWX but that's expected. For the most part I'm experiencing the same sort of daytime spotting as I'm used to, but controlled testing of daytime sensors isn't something I've done yet.

That's it, folks.
Old 05-06-08, 03:23 PM   #529
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rik007
Hi OnelifeCrises, I just started to use the supermod and I checked the threads because I'm affraid my question will be asked before but I cannot find it so I have to ask.

I noticed that me scope is being spotted earlier than in GWX. For example now the auxiliar cruiser in Happy Times finds my scope at a distance of 1,7 Km (my speed is 0 knots). Which for 1940 is a little too uber. As I checked the documentation it states that during daytime enemy ships can see the same as in GWX, give or take a tiny bit. So what can or should I expect in daylight and can I adapt this so I get GWX behavior?
When I start up Happy Times in GWX 2.1 + OLC Ubermod, I'm already well inside visual range of the enemy (and already being fired upon) when "Not so long ago..." vanishes. So I'm not sure how you managed to get to 1.7km before being spotted!
Old 05-06-08, 04:38 PM   #530
Philipp_Thomsen
Old Gang

Downloads: 146

The problem with those clawns is that they...

... oops... my bad... I thought that this was the "aaaaaaaaaah" thread...
Old 05-06-08, 05:09 PM   #531
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

It's time for me to eat humble pie and apologise.

It didn't take too many controlled tests to establish that there's definitely a significant difference between GWX 2.1 (16km) sensors and OLCE2 sensors during the daytime.

I'll see what I can do to fix it.
In the meantime I'm pulling the DL from filefront.
Sorry about all of this.
OLC
Old 05-06-08, 05:30 PM   #532
Steiner88
Watch

Downloads: 0
mmmm and the zoom ? ther is missing in the periscope and guns etc.
Edit: but is a nice mod at all
Old 05-06-08, 06:03 PM   #533
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Just a further note, FYI, on visual sensors:
Removing sensors.cfg and sim.cfg from OLCE2 results in the same thing as I had in earlier versions of the Ubermod - daytime sensors being the same as GWX 2.1 (at least that's now confirmed with some controlled tests) and enemy ships being totally blind in "night proper" (at least until they light you up with spotlights and/or flares - then they can see you - but they won't do that until you fire at them).

Last edited by onelifecrisis; 05-06-08 at 06:49 PM.
onelifecrisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-08, 10:55 PM   #534
rik007
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 117

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rik007

When I start up Happy Times in GWX 2.1 + OLC Ubermod, I'm already well inside visual range of the enemy (and already being fired upon) when "Not so long ago..." vanishes. So I'm not sure how you managed to get to 1.7km before being spotted!
I adapted the mission with SH3edit to start at periscope depth

Last edited by rik007; 05-06-08 at 11:12 PM.
rik007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-08, 01:05 PM   #535
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Default Ubermod 2.1.0 released.

This is the same as 2.0.3 except that I've removed sensors.cfg and sim.cfg which contained my changes to visual sensor settings.

This time I've done some controlled tests and, so far, the results show OLCE2 daytime visual sensors to be more or less identical to GWX 2.1 (16km) daytime visual sensors. At night, as with earlier versions of the Ubermod which didn't change those cfg files, the enemy ships can see much worse than they can in GWX 2.1 (16km). This I've not tested as much, but initial tests suggest that in 1939 and early 1940 enemy ships are totally blind at the darkest time of night until they become aware of you (e.g. by you attacking) at which point they will illuminate you with spotlights and flares, and see you quite easily at short/medium range. In late 1940 they will start to be able to spot you at night (without the aid of spotlights and flares) in favourable conditions, and currently I'm assuming that this is due to an increase in crew veterancy.

I'm inclined to leave it at that, rather than play with sensors again and risk another sensor ******* up.

Again, I apologise for not checking this sooner.

Last edited by onelifecrisis; 05-07-08 at 01:19 PM.
onelifecrisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-08, 01:47 PM   #536
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Quote:
It's time for me to eat humble pie and apologise.
It takes a big person OLC to share this ^^^, hats off to you for that
Folks should take heed to this, you have put together a fine mod and have taken some criticism along the way, but have handled it well.

If folks don't appreciate your Ubermod after all of this, then they just don't get it.

RDP

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-08, 01:51 PM   #537
Samwolf
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 37

No apologies necessary. OLCE2 is a great mod and I've been able to live with any minor incompatibilities that may have cropped up. So far the only one that is "distracting" is the night of the living dead crew faces at night, but that's probably because I don't want to give up my "Fubars Crew Uniform" mod. The better sky and sea (especially the God's night light fix) far outweigh any "problems"

GWX 3, JSGME 2.3, Sh3 Commander 3.2 SH3 Gen 8.1, Water Stream for U-boats, LRT LITE 2.0, Lifeboats for SH3

Samwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-08, 02:24 PM   #538
Wilcke
The Old Man

Downloads: 234

Hi OLC,

Just got caught up on the latest "sensor" issues. Got a question, do we need to enable GWX 16km mod with OLC2? Yes or No is fine, I don't need to waste your time with all the details.

Thanks much! Great work!

Thanks for your answer, it was a real dumb a$$ question, but the "sensors" issue threw me for a loop, there.

Thanks!

For the best in Fleet Boats go to: Submarine Sim Central. http://forum.kickinbak.com/index.php
Check out: A Brief Introduction to the Pacific Submarine War by Ducimus
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=128185
Operation Monsun plus OMEGU, the #1 ATO Solution for SH4!

Signature Art by Gunfighter

Last edited by Wilcke; 05-07-08 at 04:11 PM.
Wilcke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-08, 02:26 PM   #539
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Thanks RDP
Wilcke, this is from post #1

Quote:
  • OLCE2 is not compatible with any other atmosphere/environment/colour mods. OLCE2 is a complete 16km atmosphere and should be enabled instead of the GWX -16km Atmopshere mod, not as an addition to it.
Old 05-07-08, 03:02 PM   #540
LMD
Cap'n

Downloads: 340

First of all I want to say Thank you for your GREAT mods. I like them very much and hope to see your future mods
Now I have 2 little questions which I want you to help me with.
1. When i downloaded OLC Ubermod 2.1 and unpacked it well there are 4 folders. 3 of them are the parts of your mod. But the 4th is U-boat folder and I don't know what to do with it. In the ReadMe it says only about 3 folders to activate via JSGME. What should I do with the folder "U-boat"?
2. If I understand correct this version has no double mast values? I wanted to know if you remade your manual for targeting to match this new feature or there is no necessity? Why am I asking - I decided to start using manual targeting and I read your manual for the version with double mast values. But now we don't have doubled values. So I want to know what have changed in the targeting process and is there a new manual?
Thanks a lot
LMD is offline   Reply With Quote