SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

View Poll Results: What time period would you like the Cold War Mod to encompass?
Early Cold War: 1947 to the early 1960s 148 14.23%
Mid Cold War: 1960s to 1980s 194 18.65%
Late Cold War: 1980's to 1991 147 14.13%
I want the whole thing! 1947 to 1991 551 52.98%
Voters: 1040. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-25-08, 06:26 PM   #76
Snakeeyes
Captain

Location: trailing 1400 yards behind an Oscar-II with my outer doors open
Downloads: 54
Uploads: 0

Phone cable Missions

I just want to walk the deck of a Delta I or II or see the command room of an Alfa.
Old 02-25-08, 06:33 PM   #77
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Downloads: 68
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakeeyes
Phone cable Missions

I just want to walk the deck of a Delta I or II or see the command room of an Alfa.
Havnt been on the deltas but the alfas are very very small if your 6ft+ its not nice being inside, i went on K123 at gremikha she was gutted inside but even with bits missing its still a small uncomftable boat.

Find out about Museum Ships here: https://www.museumships.us/

Flickr for all my pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131313936@N03/

Navy general board articles: https://www.navygeneralboard.com/author/aegis/
Kapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-08, 10:32 PM   #78
gimpy117
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 108

we should partner with them

I think we should come up with a fictional sea war in wich the russians are backing a faction and we are fighting for another and "advising them" we could have two versions one for people whom are keen on the soviet side and another who want to play as the americans.

it would be like a naval korea or vietnam
Old 02-26-08, 04:58 AM   #79
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 18
Default november/foxtrott

Could you email a copy of that sub to me as you said you could on request ? my email is either fred.heller@swing.be (max 5 mb) or fred.heller@hotmail.com if larger in size.

For ur intel, we have a foxtrot class russian sub in zeebrugge, at the belgian coast, which is there on display. I've been in it twice, I should be able to get pictures for anyone who'd like to mod one of those.

fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Jack Harkness
This is a continuation of my request thread, created because now there is actual work being done on the project. The idea is for a 1960's or 1970's Cold War total conversion mod involving American and Russian submarines, both nuclear and diesel-electric, as well as period correct surface fleets. No idea for a plot as of yet...

So far, we have a functional Project 627A November class nuclear submarine that was discovered on Sukhoi.ru and created by Dagon. He is also working on an Oscar II class (possibly others as well). USS Trigger has been working on both a Hotel II class, K-19 specifically, as well as a Los Angeles class, and one of his friends is at work on a Guppy/Tang class boat.

We hope to get at least one nuclear and one diesel boat per side for starters and would greatly appreciate the help of any and all experienced modders!

Original Sukhoi.ru thread:

http://www.sukhoi.ru/forum/showthread.php?t=50322

Now on the subject of the November: It is currently in an alpha stage of development and as such is not yet available for public download. It lacks all sounds other than crew announcements (this is still a mystery to me) and needs much more to be a complete submarine, such as a proper interior. I can email the current version to anyone willing to experiment or improve upon it, just pm me with your address.
keltos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-08, 09:09 AM   #80
tonibamestre
中国水兵

Downloads: 82
Default Surface units available?

I am wondering if this great mod is successful,on further developments could be possible to implement controllable destroyers,FFGs,cruisers or Carriers? Or this is the result of my hot imagination?
The best would be that Ubi start the development of such addons,but what in the event they never do it?
tonibamestre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-08, 11:16 AM   #81
Linton
Sea Lord

Downloads: 0

Oberons,mmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Linton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-08, 04:08 PM   #82
tonibamestre
中国水兵

Downloads: 82

Yeah!! Oberon class why not? Its an early 60s submarine perfectly adjustable into a project like this.
I think the oportunities are really a lot.An amazing cold age enviroment can be developed and introduced,with several types of platforms from 2 or 3 different navies,and if it goes well more complex units can be built.
About the multiplayer,do you think some kind of dedicated server could be used in order to develop long term sea missions (days)?
tonibamestre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-08, 05:38 PM   #83
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Betcha couldn't guess that an Oberon would get my vote!
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-08, 06:00 PM   #84
Linton
Sea Lord

Downloads: 0

Sneakies up North.That is what I have always wanted!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Linton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-08, 07:00 PM   #85
scrag
Medic

Downloads: 6
Default Oh nooooo not again!!!!!

Mixed feelings on yet another broke Cold War Sim. To be clear. Dangerous Waters, 688I, SEAWOLF attempts are nice games but as a sim goes they are lacking in accuracy and realism. They make decent games. To achieve a cold war goes hot situation you no longer have a sim byt a game (that is fine as it becomes more liberal in it's application and ability to 'interpet" the data regarding capabilities of Modern SSN combat - I especially love the comments by those who have never actually been involved in any "Cold War Action" weighing in on "it is boring". Those comments are based on ignorance and are totally inaccurate. I am dubious about ANY Cold War Submarine game because of the lack of data and necessity keeping it that way. Since this has been already written about in the past I will past what I wrote regarding 1946-49 time frame.
US Submarine development:
The US (and UK) examined and did extensive testing on a few XXI boats as well as some of the Hydrogen Peroxide Walther designs attempting to adopt some of the technology for use. The Hydrogen Peroxide boats developed by all navies resulted in some form of casualty which resulted in at least heavy damage or loss of the boat itself. Essentially in this time frame the Guppy I conversions took place and in 47-48 the Guppy II conversions (and in 5 new boats while they were being built) of the Balao and Gato class boats. The German Balkon Sonar system was being tested (NATO/USSR) and in the 49 the first attempted Sub Vs Sub ASW exercise took place in the Greenland Norwegian Sea as well as the fringes of the Barents Sea. A new design of Sonar called the BQR-2 which later incorporated more BALKON technology would spin off the first ASW capable Sonar System called the BQR-4 with a reported range of 20k against a Snorkeling Submarine. The plan during this time was to attack and sink the enemy submarine on the Surface or Snorting. Submerged attack against a sub on the Batt was still not feasible due to limitations in the sonar systems. (BTW - this holds true somewhat today as well - a front line SS on the Batt is a real bitch to find under the right circumstance). Weapon technology showed some experimentation in improving homing torpedo seekers from both the captured stuff and what was already in place. We also see the first Radar Picket Subs and the design of a new SSK class which incorporates the larger array of the BQR-4 sonar system.
Russia - same stuff with regards to XXI testing, though the Soviets suffered a setback when the German Carrier Graff Zeppelin was overloaded with captured materials (including tooling for some of the German equipment for advanced underwater designs) and subsequently capsized in the Baltic. The Soviets boats for this period included S/Shch ; K classes with the Whiskey Zulu and Quebec classes following in the early 50's. The Soviet Navy really was a coastal force with extremely limited capabilities - patrolling areas primarily in the Barents and Baltic Seas. They also were working on there version of the BALKON system which would be known in the west as Pike Jaw and Trout Cheek aka Feniks.

Good luck on the new game endeavor - be pretty cool to see modern stuff or semi modern stuff in a SHIV game format.
Old 02-26-08, 08:14 PM   #86
miner1436
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 3

I cant find any download links at all, can someone post a link to them?
miner1436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-08, 11:19 AM   #87
Yoram777
A-ganger

Downloads: 60
Uploads: 2

When this is finished this will be one awesome mod!
But for now, please tell me where can I download those cold war subs shown in that Russian thread and how to install them??

Last edited by Yoram777; 02-27-08 at 12:06 PM.
Yoram777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-08, 12:15 PM   #88
tomagabriel
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 110
Uploads: 3

To Captain Jack Harkness,

Just wanted to say that when other subs are available, please give us a tip here. The Redoutable and project 627 are a dream to ride even in this early stage .

Regards!
tomagabriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-08, 12:52 PM   #89
Yoram777
A-ganger

Downloads: 60
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomagabriel
The Redoutable and project 627 are a dream to ride even in this early stage.
so you 'can' download them? but iv'e looked at that forum and there's no download link at all
Yoram777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-08, 01:22 PM   #90
badaboom
Weps

Downloads: 46

Reminds me of "The Hunt for Red October"