SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop > DW Mission Designers' Forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-16-06, 09:38 AM   #1
SeaQueen
Naval Royalty

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Sonobuoy Search

I'm trying to get an AI P-3C to search an area for submarines. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to actually drop any sonobuoys if given the tactic "sonobuoy search." Am I doing something wrong? Should I manually place the sonobuoy field?
SeaQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-06, 11:50 AM   #2
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 2

In my opinion, the only way to get a good prosecution from an AI platform is to place the buoy field in the mission design.

I believe you can use create object triggers for them so they don't start there from the beginning.

The good news is that the AI is very good using a sonobuoy field that has already been laid.
Old 01-16-06, 03:28 PM   #3
Miika
A-ganger

Downloads: 21
Default Sonobuoys

I might be wrong, but it seems that at least with LwAmimod 3.00 the airborne AI platforms will quite easily cease using the sonobuoy tactic once they have a linked target. For instance in my mission "Into the night" there are three helos (if I remember right) using this tactic. If the Chinese are far away (=no linked targets) they will place the buoys. Once the first linked sub or surface unit appears, the helos will move to intercept the targets.

I agree with Luftwolf that the best way of doing it would be to have the buoys created by a randomly patrolling P-3. (=if P-3 enters the destination goal area, a buoy will be created.) It requires some work, but will be quite easily done with a little copy/paste of goals and buoys.

Miika
Old 01-16-06, 07:08 PM   #4
HydroShok
Watch

Downloads: 0

I've seen AI surface ships launch helos that drop buoys in box like fashion, 4 sonobouys. Not sure if its normal for the AI or if it was "scripted".

i've tried a script to "engage" with VLAD on the p3. Didn't work.

Helicopter is the only AI I've ever seen actually drop a buoy. Not sure how it was done tho.