SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-03-10, 04:40 AM   #1
Cpt-Maxim
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 62
Uploads: 0
Default [REL] New Release- ALive-Action-Interior-Sound-Mod 1.0

Release Date: June 3, 2010- only available between now, and when the internet is disconnected, nuked, or self-destructs.

This file re-uploaded 1/1/2011
File Link: http://www.filefront.com/17735931/AL...und-Mod1.0.rar
Size: 27.73 meg - use winrar to extract.

Cpt-Maxim's "ALive-Action-Interior-Sound-Mod 1.0" for "Silent Hunter, Wolves of the Pacific, and U-boat Mission 1.5 version".
Earlier versions of SH4 or SH3 may work, but not tested.
This mod will give you a variety of sounds to make life in the submarine come Alive!
The overall effect is being inside a submarine (basically a large steel tube) with others moving around operating equipment.. and also the flowing water pressing against the hull on the outside.
In order to give the entire atmosphere of tense, spooky, uncertainty of life beneath the waves, the core sound effect is a "heavy heaving & breathing sound", which almost makes you feel as if the submarine is breathing, or alive by itself.. (not intended for the faint of heart, or die-hard realism fans!)
This mod may give you nightmares, if you havent already spent too much time in your game before now, you will..

You will hear all these things listed below, if you sit still on the surface or underwater, (take no actions, just crank the volumn) for a full 7:30 minutes with minimal repeats.
Dont try to pay attention to where the sound file starts and ends, just let it breathe & flow.. other sounds will be added automatically by the system under different circumstances, such as creaking when you have taken damage.. which adds to the overall scary effect really nice.
The periscope sound file is here simply because I felt the original periscope was weak, and not "heavy" enough sounding to me. I especially like the part where the handles snap up/down into place, listen carefully, and make sure you fully extend the periscope to hear the entire sound file. To each his own. Some people have very specific preferences and all mods are not going to be universally accepted for personal taste reasons. Easy to remove if you arent absolutely thrilled, and you get all your money back, guaranteed.

JSGME ready! Make sure you have the latest JSGME version
(alternate manual install very simple, just copy my data folder to your C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific folder, but make sure you backup "your original folder" first.)
This version of the mod contains two files:
ALive-Action-Interior-Sound-Mod1.0\Data\Sound\amb_SubmarineInterior.wav
ALive-Action-Interior-Sound-Mod1.0\Data\Sound\periscope_UpDown.wav
Sounds:
Sailors moving around, footsteps, hatches, doors, cabinets, and equipment panels opening and closing.
Galley cook, chief bottle washer, delivering and pouring coffee for the XO and crew to sip.
Nav Officer shuffling and rolling/ unrolling maps and papers, plotting course with pencil, and erasing changes.
Helmsmen opening and closing valves, moving levers, releasing steam, controlling hydraulics pressure.
Weapons officer rotating dials of the onboard targeting solver computer (analog) while it buzzes and makes spinning and whirring noises internally.
Sailors ascending or descending the metal footrungs of the ladders to the conning tower and hydrophones control room.
Cook banging pots and pans preparing the crew's meal. (first ever mod to include food services!).
Handcranks adjusting the dive planes, raising or lowering of the radio, radar antennae.
Nervous sailors cracking their knuckles, fingers tapping to relieve stress.
Buttons being pushed on intercom systems, microphones giving announcement tones.
Communication systems being dialed into various bandwidths and squealing with white noise between channels.
Chief engineer performing system check on the electrical control panel while it hums with high voltage.
Radio officer practicing his morse code or recieving a signal while on the surface..
If you try to decode this morse code message it will say something like this, likely in german, I interpreted it about 99% accurate, but I dont understand german, so if anyone wants to comment on it, here it is, reproduced in dots and dashes followed by alphabet:
..- -. - . .-. .-- .- ... ... . .-. .... --- .-. -.-. .... .- -. .-.. .- --. . -. ... -.-- ... - . -- -. ....- -- .--. --- -.. . -. - . -. -.. . ... ..-. ...
UNTERWASSERHORCHANLAGENSYSTEMN4MPODENTENDESFS

youtube video with sound mod included.

You may find me on one of these teamspeak servers:
Subsim.com - subsim.teamspeak3.com
WWII Battleground Europe, Allied, - ts.wwiionline.com:9988
Elite Dangerous, Gamers Cove - 82.21.87.49

Last edited by Cpt-Maxim; 01-01-11 at 03:55 PM.
Cpt-Maxim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-10, 08:45 AM   #2
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Wow very interesting

Downloading now and will give it a try, excellent work
Old 06-03-10, 10:52 AM   #3
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Sounds pretty cool! Too bad there's no way to do an in-game on-the-fly swap with the one I'm using now. It's a mod done a long time ago for SH3. There are lots of sounds, but they are all quiet with whispers, because a lot of noise doesn't sound right when you're in combat, especially silent running. If we could make them switch for SR it would be awesome.
Old 06-03-10, 11:01 AM   #4
Chubster
Beach Leaf

Downloads: 162

Cool....will give this a go tonight...Cheers Capn
Chubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-10, 11:54 AM   #5
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Very interested in trying it out.
Old 06-03-10, 11:55 AM   #6
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Nice

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-10, 12:23 PM   #7
danurve
The Old Man

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 3

Sounds interesting, will check this out.
Old 06-03-10, 01:08 PM   #8
McHibbins
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 80

Good soundmods are always welcome
Old 06-03-10, 04:55 PM   #9
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

That is truly an amazing mix; I can't wait to try it! This could be to SH4 what the Pacific Aces interior sound files were to SH2. When that mod came out, for the first time I felt like there were people on my boat, even though SH2 of course didn't have crew models.

Anyway, enough reminiscing. It seems like these sounds could be used on a World War I sub as well, so may I use it in my mod if/when I finish it?

Thanks.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-10, 06:03 PM   #10
raymond6751
Admirable Mike

Downloads: 421
Default Shhh!

So what happens when running silent? That damn cook going to be banging pans around while the enemy is above us?
Old 06-03-10, 06:30 PM   #11
Cpt-Maxim
Electrician's Mate

Glad you all seem somewhat approving so far. The sound of the enemy above will usually drown out the ambient sounds within the sub.. they were not recorded so loud as to be overbearing. Just assume that after the enemy passes you, and the cook makes a mistake within too short a time, well accidents happen and so you need to make like a seagull, and get the flock outta there!

Old 06-03-10, 08:22 PM   #12
MADLOU
Gunner

Downloads: 1208
Default Cant hear the periscope sounds

I installed using jcsme but cant hear the periscope sounds. I guess I did something wrong..
MADLOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-10, 09:54 PM   #13
Cpt-Maxim
Electrician's Mate

There are some basic rules you need to follow for any mod. Assuming you have basic knowledge of running your computer, making folders, copying files and using windows to look around.. you should:

0. (all programmers know to start counting at zero) Have a clean working installation of the game, patched to the latest version you can afford.

1. Read instructions for both the JSGME and the mod. Read any and all instructions before beginning any actions anywhere in the entire instruction sequence so you know whats coming before you screw it up.

2. Analyse your collection of mods descriptions and know if you are using two sound or two graphic mods together, which will cause your first set of troubles and conflicts. One mod might be erased by the next mod being installed if they reference the same sound or graphic file - and JSGME will alert you to this mistake, and will also give you an "undo" feature which is nice. Best testing procedure is to unload all mods and test only the new mod by itself. Adding a few mods at a time afterwards as long as you can take notes on the conflict alerts JSGME is giving you.

3. Proceed to the forums to ask any and all questions before taking any actions anywhere in the sequence of instructions so you dont screw it up without reading all the previous support suggestions of others who can help you screw it up faster. Then send messages to the original modder and get it straight from the old salt himself. Try not to clog up the thread with needless "I need help!" messages, because a private message keeps your specific needs sorted in the PM message box without everyone else laughing at your mistakes knowingly. If the modder is unwilling or unable to help, return to whining publicly in the event some other kind soul will step in and help stop the thread from clogging further.

4. Make backups while game is shut down. (the wisest thing I've seen written in these forums is to copy your entire stock "data" folder to a safe place, once you install gold or uboat missions, which means you are at a perfect 1.5 version starting point for mods. The reason to copy it entirely, is, so you can revert back just as if you did a clean reinstall of the game, but it is much faster than a full install in the event your hard drive starts listing, or worse, sinks beneath the waves.

5. Install the files with JGSME. Wait. Dont. First, get the latest version of JSGME and then recursively start again at the beginning of this instruction. If you already have the latest version, jump to next line.

6. Start the game and load your previous position/save game which places you in the naval office, not out to sea on patrol.

7. Then click mission map on the wall, to start mission and go to the sub on the water (which loads additional files unkown to some people). If this doesnt work, you can shut down the game completely, undo with JSGME, then redo with JSGME, and restart game.

8. For a sound mod, carefully check all your volumn controls on your headset, wires, speakers, windows control panel, etc.. this is important. Set volumn to mid-low and increase slowly to save your ears if the modder made a volumn mistake Especially when firing gun sound mods. The dried blood coming out of my ears speaks to experience on this. I know what Im talking about, but I cant hear what youre saying right now.

9. Did you read the part about reading all instructions before taking any action? Did you take note of the part where I said take notes? If JSGME gives you any clues or error messages, tell the modder (take a screenshot, or cut 'n paste the notes) before taking any further action. These will greatly speed up the process of getting you back into "the action" you really are interested in.

PM me if you have done your homework, read every similar problem and solution you could find, and you know for a fact your virus definitions are up to date. You never know.. a gremlin might be causing your trouble.

Old 06-03-10, 11:41 PM   #14
kiwi_2005
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 223
Uploads: 1

This sounds cool, going to download this later tonight

Those who can't laugh at themselves leave the job to others.

kiwi_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-10, 05:34 AM   #15
ichso
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 57

This sounds really good, very atmospheric.
But it could be a bit more generic perhaps. Because when you hear somebody sipping tea during silent running when being persued, it might be a bit irritating.
But nice work overall.
ichso is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sh4 sound alive interior