SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-25-18, 01:13 PM   #1
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Default Honestly! Would you trust this airline?

https://jalopnik.com/a-new-ultra-lon...est-1829268502

Quote:
A huge Airbus A350-900ULR is being delivered to Singapore Airlines today where, once in service, it will make the longest continuous flight in the world, from Singapore to Newark airport—a flying time of just under 19 hours.

The ULR in the name of the craft stands for “Ultra Long Range,” which is an apt name, considering this beast can cruise for 9,000 nautical miles (or 9,537 miles). The A350-900 is capable of flying further than any other commercial aircraft, with a maximum flying time of around 20 hours.
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-18, 01:33 PM   #2
Bleiente
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Airbus is extremely competent, probably the most competent manufacturer.
Nevertheless, today I would not get into any computer-controlled aircraft anymore.

Rather, I would like to fly in an old Messerschmitt, F o c k e Wolf or magnificent Dornier.
Old 09-25-18, 02:07 PM   #3
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Ehem, there is Boeing still...
Old 09-25-18, 06:13 PM   #4
stork100
Weps

Downloads: 92

Higher, further, faster... It's the name of the game. Although these days for various reasons we're getting there more slowly! Yeah I'd trust it, despite me possibly thinking of "if it ain't Boeing, I ain't going". I mean, how many aircraft fly every day all over the world without incident? Past problems aside concerning their automatic pilots, I think it's in their interests to build a safe and reliable product. If they would trust it, then so would I.

Having said that, the concept of being on an aircraft for 19 hours doesn't exactly excite me. A longer range Concorde on the other hand, now we're talking!

And Bleiente, I must agree with your preference for a Messerschmitt. A BF108 Taifun would be at the very top of my list for a personal aircraft. That or a T-33.
stork100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-18, 02:30 AM   #5
Sean C
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 2

If it ain't Boeing, I ain't going.

Seriously, though: I was on a flight from Dallas/Ft. Worth to Tokyo once that lasted about 14 hours. I was so ready to get off that plane ... I can't even imagine flying for any longer than that. And the food was worse than what you'd get in a U.S. jailhouse. Don't ask me how I know that.
Old 09-26-18, 03:48 AM   #6
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

I was thinking more along the lines of Singapore Airlines still having one plane missing for years now and no clue to where it is or why it is missing.

unless there is a cover up of the pilot leaving a suicide note that is
or achievement

Old 09-26-18, 04:44 AM   #7
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
I was thinking more along the lines of Singapore Airlines still having one plane missing for years now and no clue to where it is or why it is missing.

I wouldn't have thought it all that possible to keep something of that nature a secret from the world for so long.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-18, 05:02 AM   #8
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

I would trust the plane, though only two engines might be a problem if one fails.. but the low fuel consumption has to come from somewhere.

Trust the airline? I think yes. I suppose the missing plane was either hijacked ot the pilot suicidal. Singapore airlines has had not much losses otherwise.

Airbus industries is aggressively trying to get a big share in the world's markets, and also within the US of course. But since good old capitalism and greed are still seen as the main motive in life and development, they should not complain too much

Regarding only flying Boeings.. Boeing is meanwhile also controlled by electrical steering and electronic controls, from the effort of quality control Boeing and Airbus are equal. Problem is apart from the manufacturer's control and airframe invention and building, that each airline company can order its planes with an own configuration, from jet engines to computers, to black boxes, backup systems and so on. A Boeing can have Pratt&Whitney, MTU, Rolls Royce or whatever engines. Controls and computers can be ordered by other companies than the plane manufacturer.

Countries or national airlines can also sometimes demand wing profiles and details when it comes to big deals, so parts can be copied.. with varying results.

Also, maintenance is ordered by the airline(s), not the manufacturer. The latter can give recommendations and advice, but...
Aftermarket spare parts are often of lesser quality, and produced in China with "original" manufacturer's numbers, and logo

Crichton's 'Airframe' is a very good book on that matter, still today.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-18, 01:19 PM   #9
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

In before GR.
Old 09-26-18, 01:25 PM   #10
Schroeder
Navy Seal

Downloads: 62

Quote:

Are you sure you're not confusing that with Malaysian airlines? Singapore Airlines has no missing plane from what I know and only one crash in 2000 when a plane entered the wrong runway and struck construction equipment. Besides they have the reputation of being among the best airlines in the world. I once flew with them from Frankfurt to Singapore all the way back in 1998 and it was the best flight I've ever had. Extremely competent and caring crew and a (back then) modern aircraft. I would fly with them in a heartbeat if I still could afford traveling.
Old 09-26-18, 04:02 PM   #11
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder View Post
Are you sure you're not confusing that with Malaysian airlines? Singapore Airlines has no missing plane from what I know and only one crash in 2000 when a plane entered the wrong runway and struck construction equipment. Besides they have the reputation of being among the best airlines in the world. I once flew with them from Frankfurt to Singapore all the way back in 1998 and it was the best flight I've ever had. Extremely competent and caring crew and a (back then) modern aircraft. I would fly with them in a heartbeat if I still could afford traveling.
Yep! I messed up again ... I'll have to get a new brain or new glasses or both
or achievement

Old 09-27-18, 06:51 AM   #12
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Yep! I messed up again ... I'll have to get a new brain or new glasses or both
Just don't go trying to fly any planes

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-18, 10:18 AM   #13
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

At least flying has never been as safe as today. There are twice as many planes in the air than 25 years ago - but there are signficantly less accident nevertheless. On TV some days ago somebody called the present the golden age of flying: safe, common, affordable. From here on it only can get worse again, he said.