SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-21-11, 04:45 PM   #691
seaniam81
Commodore

Downloads: 87
Uploads: 0

My Skyrim guide just showed up today after being back ordered twice. I actually ordered the guide a day after I got Skyrim on launch day. The book is 2kg of goodness! I might have to put down SWTOR tonight and go hunt dragons.

seaniam81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-11, 05:31 PM   #692
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaniam81 View Post
My Skyrim guide just showed up today after being back ordered twice. I actually ordered the guide a day after I got Skyrim on launch day. The book is 2kg of goodness! I might have to put down SWTOR tonight and go hunt dragons.
I ordered mine from Amazon on Saturday after picking up the game. Initially they said it might take longer than normal to ship but I got it yesterday. It's huge!
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-11, 11:37 AM   #693
Lead Slinger

Downloads: 74

Just got the game yesterday, will not be loading it until the 26th. Is it better than the earlier versions?

1480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-11, 09:48 PM   #694
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Okay... forget the "arrow in the knee" thing. I want a t-shirt that says "My cousin went out to fight dragons and all I got was this lousy guard duty."

Have been playing almost continuously since Wednesday evening (except for sleep break and short breaks to shut down, cool off, and reboot the rig. This game rocks SO FREAKIN' HARD.
Old 12-23-11, 10:13 PM   #695
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8

Yes...you all know who this is!

HunterICX
Old 12-23-11, 10:49 PM   #696
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by frau kaleun View Post
Have been playing almost continuously since Wednesday evening (except for sleep break and short breaks to shut down, cool off, and reboot the rig. This game rocks SO FREAKIN' HARD.
Glad to hear that you are loving it. Having a great time as well.
Takeda Shingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-11, 07:41 PM   #697
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeda Shingen View Post
Glad to hear that you are loving it. Having a great time as well.
Yeah, it's... uh... er.... I think perhaps some type of intervention may be necessary.

I've been off work since last Wednesday afternoon, combo of holiday and vacation time... and aside from the stuff I absolutely had to do, I've pretty much been spending all my time in Skyrim. *That* life is starting to feel more real to me than my real one, lol.

And it just keeps getting better and better, especially in the main quest line, it really is far more complicated than just "you're the hero, here's the villain(s), get it done." There's a lot more decision-making than simply identifying a target and planning the attack, seems like every other person you encounter has some personal axe to grind and wants you to take a side. And the great thing is, you can do that - or not - and the game still continues on, just like life. And there's a lot of grey area where you can see both sides of a conflict and don't have enough information to know who's right and who's wrong or if there even is any objective "right" and "wrong" to the situation.

And you don't really know what all the consequences of some decisions might be. I've had a variety of assassins after me for a while now, partly because I did something that I know *really* pissed off the Thalmor but the first contract on me was taken out before that, and I still have no idea why.

Anyway, faithful housecarl Lydia was killed somewhere near the end of the first act of the main quest, and I hired some magician dude to take her place as my questing buddy. To tell you the truth Lydia's tone of voice every time I needed her to carry something for me was really getting on my nerves - I could almost *see* her eyes rolling every time. The magician guy was much more entertaining.

But I'd joined the Companions at some point and started hanging around more with them and, long story short, now I'm running the joint. Which was nice, cuz it meant Vilkas was honored to become my betrothed once I showed up there looking all available and stuff. We had a quiet ceremony in Riften - a couple other Companions attended, including the groom's brother Farkas. He didn't say much, except to wish us well, but I'm not convinced he was very happy about the whole thing.

(Please don't ever tell Vilkas this, but I'd actually started the ball rolling on the wedding plans on a much earlier chance visit to Riften. I had my eye on him early on, doncha know - the first time we hung out, he asked me to attack him and I knocked him on his butt and he liked it. Ever since then, I just knew he was The One. )

But the marital bliss thing lasted about one day back in Whiterun, because having this badass warrior hovering about Breezehome like a hausfrau was just... too... weird. So I asked him to tag along on my next job and he got a little huffy and said it looked like I already had someone. Well, yeah, the snarky magician dude, so I had to dismiss him which gave me a bit of a sad but it was either that or have Vilkas back at Whiterun selling bits and pieces out of our front room and asking me about my day every time I came home which - WRONG. That is not the man I married, dammit!

He's a great quest buddy though, far more skilled and lots less annoying than Lydia ever was. The way he yells "VICTORY OR SOVNGARD" when he draws his sword in battle just makes my little heart go pitterpat. And would you believe he still manages to fix me a homecooked meal every single day when we're out on the road? All I have to do is ask. Honestly, I don't know how he does it - sometimes we don't even have a pot or fire, much less any food on hand. Now if only they'd programmed foot massages into the spousal duty business, my Skyrim life would be complete.

I swear I'm gonna have withdrawal symptoms when I go back to work tomorrow.

P.S. No lolly-gaggin'!
Old 12-26-11, 08:49 PM   #698
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

You need a break.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-11, 08:55 PM   #699
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

No, I need to do the Fus Ro Dance:

Old 12-26-11, 10:05 PM   #700
Krauter
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 102
Uploads: 1

Glad to see you're all enjoying the game. Just a question, are any of you running this on console? How is it compared to the PC version. I plan on buying this for PS3 so wanted to know any flaws it had on console. Obviously I know I'll miss out on console commands and such, but I really don't have the cash to buy a rig that can run this so my ps3 will have to do.
Old 12-26-11, 10:08 PM   #701
Dowly
Lucky Jack

If you have plans on upgrading your PC at some point, I say wait for that.

The thousands of mods that will come when the Creation Kit is released in January
will make it worth it.

Meanwhile, get Oblivion and the Nehrim total conversion mod for it, it's awesome!
Old 12-26-11, 10:10 PM   #702
Krauter
Ocean Warrior

Well the main thing is I'm a university student with little to no disposable cash and the only computer I have is a Mac. I can juuuust run Oblivion so I know I'm missing out on amazing mods. However I don't want to wait 7 years til I'm done my degree to get this game
Old 12-26-11, 10:23 PM   #703
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Well, Oblivion was released in... err.. 2007? I'm still playing it, the last I checked
there was ~23k files for Oblivion at tesnexus.com On average a mod has 2-3 files,
so that's ~7700 mods for Oblivion.

And that's why it's worth it to get it for PC. Even if you get it late.
Old 12-26-11, 10:24 PM   #704
Krauter
Ocean Warrior

Very true, I may have the opportunity to get a new PC in the next year, but I'd have to work a bit to get it running at a level to run BF3 or Skyrim. (If it can run SH5 could it run these?)
Old 12-26-11, 10:32 PM   #705
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krauter View Post
Very true, I may have the opportunity to get a new PC in the next year, but I'd have to work a bit to get it running at a level to run BF3 or Skyrim. (If it can run SH5 could it run these?)
I can't run my BF3 all that well on my rig (Click to see my rig),
but Skyrim runs pretty well on Med/high. In some dungeons it even goes to upper
140s.