SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-14-09, 02:13 PM   #241
Cambaz
Gunner

Downloads: 300
Uploads: 0

Hi,

I just installed SH III to my laptop, now its time to patch it to 1.4b but I have a problem, patches doesn't works! I don't know why but it gives a error message like that "C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII\data\Menu\de_help.tx t: unknown version.

C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII\data\Menu\en_help.tx t: unknown version.

my operating system is not Vista, is anybody know about this type of errors

(I downloaded patches from ubi.com)
Old 07-14-09, 02:30 PM   #242
Murr44
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 16

Newer version of SH3 come pre-patched. Check your Main Menu screen in the game, you'll probably see a 1.4 in the bottom right corner of the screen. If it reads 1.4 then you have the latest & last patch: 1.4b.
Murr44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-09, 02:42 PM   #243
Cambaz
Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murr44 View Post
Newer version of SH3 come pre-patched. Check your Main Menu screen in the game, you'll probably see a 1.4 in the bottom right corner of the screen. If it reads 1.4 then you have the latest & last patch: 1.4b.
I think my copy is not a newer version because there is no 1.4 or any other thing or sign in the bottom right corner of the screen...
Old 07-15-09, 12:08 PM   #244
Murr44
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 16

Then try looking in the main SH3 folder & see if you can find a .txt file that says Readme. If it's present this file should tell you which version that you have.
Murr44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-09, 12:40 PM   #245
irish1958
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 320
Uploads: 11

Find this file (C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII\data\Menu\en_help.tx t: unknown version.) in your install and delete it; then the patch will run.
Old 07-16-09, 03:30 PM   #246
Cambaz
Gunner

Thanks for your help, ideas and attention dear Skippers but problem is solved, I tried to load a USA retail DVD patch but mine is Australia-Asia copy () I find the correct patches for my copy and I loaded them, Thank you again
Old 07-17-09, 04:10 PM   #247
Piggy
Ensign

Downloads: 147

So no one can help with the Win7 problem?

I really really want to play, especially the GWX gold! Im seriously considering going back to XP just because of this.

Argh, this is quite frustrating, like I said Ive had no problems getting older games to run on Win7.
Piggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-09, 04:25 PM   #248
irish1958
Ocean Warrior

Piggy,
You have a PM.
Old 07-21-09, 05:22 PM   #249
lilpyrro
Watch

Downloads: 39

It wont let me play once.
lilpyrro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-09, 06:42 AM   #250
UKDP
Swabbie

Downloads: 88

Dual boot windows 7 and XP, that was my solution.
UKDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-09, 11:47 PM   #251
gdogghenrikson
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvadoreno View Post
Okay not working.

Ive been away for some time now and i just bought a new HP Firebird comp! I was so excited to reinstall SH3 and tried following the rules posted above but to no avail. I cant even run SH3 directly after install. this is wat comes up. Its the protection system error stating "This application can be launched with a release of Microsoft Windows 95 OSR. 1/98/ME NT 4.0/2000/XP Server 2003 only."

Ive downloaded Starforce update but it does not detect anything. I also tried installing on my c/drive rather than program files but it also failed. Im not too computer savvvy, so simple english would be nice! THANKS!!!!
yea, same here
Old 08-23-09, 08:11 AM   #252
irish1958
Ocean Warrior

When all else fails, the best course is to buy a new DVD of the game, patched to 1.4b and starforce free. I go for $9.99
It also does not require the DVD to be in the drive for the game to operate.
Old 08-23-09, 07:54 PM   #253
Phoenix The Taffer
Watch

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murr44 View Post

Yeah I have 1.4 showing up inside the game, so that's pretty much what I thought based on an ubi.com post located here:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/t...2/m/7261080164

I recently bought the SH2/SH3 Encore DVD combo version from Newegg (edited out link -- didnt realize it was taboo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish1958 View Post
Find this file (C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII\data\Menu\en_help.tx t: unknown version.) in your install and delete it; then the patch will run.
That sounds a bit dangerous for my situation. As you can see above I probably have the $9.99 game that you mentioned in your last post, irish. I'm guessing I already have 1.4b on the DVD, based on what I see inside game (1.4) and the file version comes out to 1.4.0.1 in File Properties.

Image of error:

Last edited by Phoenix The Taffer; 08-23-09 at 08:48 PM.
Phoenix The Taffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-09, 06:52 PM   #254
trojanfoe
Watch

Downloads: 3
Default Fixed with Windows x64 (RC1)

I have SH3 working with Windows 7 x64...

I've spent several hours trying to get SH3 to work under Windows 7 x64 (Ultimate - build 7100). I'm not sure which version of the DVD I have; I bought it in June 2006 in the UK. It has the serial number on the disk, rather than the back of the manual, but installation hasn't asked for it.

I have been getting a getting a crash in msvcr71.dll right after the red progress bar completed and before the main menu.

I have tried both updating and removing the starforce drivers, but the programs tell me no SF drivers are installed.

Anyway this is what I did:

1) Install the game by running setup.exe on the DVD normally (not as admin). I installed into D:\Games\SilentHunterIII; not sure if that's significant. I told it to also install the 'Direct X 9 codecs', which previously I had not; also not sure if that was significant. I cancelled when it was time to install the ubisoft updater utility (I forget its name now).

2) Install silent_hunter_3_dvd_1.4b_emea.exe as admin (right click > Run as Administrator). If you don't run as admin you will get the common complaint about de_menu.txt (and en_menu.txt) being an unknown version.

3) Install the No-CD patch. I saved the 5 files it replaced to a sub-folder of SH3, so I could restore in case I needed to.

4) Ran the game as admin. I have exited the game and I can also run it as 'me' (not admin) as well

5) Also: No need to use 'compatibility mode' on the shortcut or program properties - run it straight and not as admin.

I hope this helps some others with similar systems and problems!

Cheers,
Andy
Old 09-03-09, 07:06 AM   #255
Otto Von Larnie
Swabbie

Downloads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medico View Post
Wolfen U-64,

To answer your questions and VonKnopfke knows that is not a joke and can be resolved, yes, I did contact Ubisoft by phone. Yes, they sent the files directly to me. As I said, they did not guarantee that would resolve my problem. They said that is the solution for Windows XP 64 bit systems. I have Windows Vista 64 bit. I used to have the same situation that VonKnopfke has now. I posted a message, no help. I did a research and found solutions and applied them, no help. I contacted StarForce people and they told me that the game maker is the one to solve that. I had the same situation with Lock on, an update to the game Lock 1.1 and patch on the website solved my problem. However, I could not find a solution that worked for SH3. I knew that SH3 files needed to be updated by either patch or other means. That why I contacted Ubisoft to see they can produce another patch as they did with Lock on. I hope that helps VonKnopfke. I am glad you resolved your problem. It looked It was not the same problem VonKnopfke and I did have.

Medico
I am in the same boat at the moment, I played SH3 since release and had scores of MODS etc. got a brand new PC, top of the line all the latest tech set me back £3,200 and it wont play SH3!!!! I am suffering with Major Withdrawl symptoms and would really like to feed my addiction! can you give me a name for the file so that I know exactly what to ask for? thanks