SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-18-14, 08:34 PM   #16
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

When I was just starting in SHCE, I often engaged destroyers, and usually sank them. But when I started playing a career and using manual targeting, it was very much the opposite. I didn't see the sense in risking a good career for the dubious victory sinking a small but dangerous ship, like a destroyer.

IMO, it is very easy to take on ASW ships (and be brave generally), when you are using map-contacts and auto-targeting. The game seems to fall short in some of these aspects.

I did sink two Momi class patrol boats in a career not too long ago. I was in an area of sparse shipping and decided to make an approach on one patrolling. It was at night and I dived when I was close. He was hit by 1 of a spread of 3 without being aware of my presence. I had actually miscalculated the firing solution, but the spread covered my mistake. The second started like the first, but saw me as I was tracking it. I had to dive to escape shell fire, and intended to sneak away, but after awhile he had stopped to listen. I had to slowly turn the boat around (at low speed), to fire a single torpedo at ~3,000 yds., aimed near the bow. They saw it about 2 sec. before impact, but still took a fatal hit 2/3 towards the stern. All of this is with a S-class sub, btw.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-14, 09:32 PM   #17
anotherdemon
Swabbie

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 0

6 fish for 1 DD is probably good as far as historical accounts go.

Sure, it's not a huge tanker or transport, but it's a serious warship.

Anyway, the only way I attack a DD is down the throat with 1 fish, then another fish either side of him (a couple of degrees or so for each); that way when he sees the one coming straight on, he'll turn p or s and catch one of the others. 3 fish for one DD is good.

Though I'm not surfaced when I do this. I head for the DD at flank and get his attention, then I'll go to PD and make a heap of noise so he'll still be coming at me. When you think he's in the no escape zone of the 3 fish, let em' go (shallow depth).
anotherdemon is offline   Reply With Quote