Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-11-17, 08:57 PM   #1
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

cool Challenger Demon

840 HP

Wow. My buddy has a Hell Cat with 707HP, it got up to 140 so quick my reflect was "OK, Ok, slow down!" before I could think.

Oh, to be a rich man, this would be a sweet toy. Thing will pull the front tires of the ground.
Old 04-11-17, 09:27 PM   #2
GT182
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 658
Uploads: 0

LOL.... I'd rather have my 66 GTO. These new retro classics with all of this horse power will only get their owners in a big heap of trouble. Besides that, how can anyone afford the insurance for these thing?

No Borders, No Language, No Culture =s No Country

I'm a Deplorable, and proud of it.
GT182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-17, 10:02 PM   #3
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
Besides that, how can anyone afford the insurance for these thing?
Once upon a time in a tire shop I noticed that 'Z'-rated tires were $300 each. When I pointed them out the salesman asked how anyone could afford those.

My reply: For someone who can afford the car they go on, $1200 for a set of tires is probably a drop in the bucket. Same probably goes for insurance.

Neal, did he let you drive it?
Old 04-12-17, 04:33 AM   #4
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Certainly looks like a speed monster and relating to what Steve posted, I remember when I was seventeen my father purchased a Jaguar XJ6 4.2 litre (approx 16 mpg) which was quite heavy consumption for a UK car.

From time to time someone would ask how he could afford the petrol bills and his answer was along the lines of "If petrol bills worry you, then you can't afford the car in the first place".

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-17, 05:36 AM   #5
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

" ... 770 lb-ft of torque ..."

http://www.convertunits.com/from/pou...o/newton-meter

More than thousand newtonmeters of torque?! This is more impressive than the sheer horsepower
Maybe it does not make sense but to hell with it, I would really like to try this out

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-17, 06:05 AM   #6
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
Once upon a time in a tire shop I noticed that 'Z'-rated tires were $300 each. When I pointed them out the salesman asked how anyone could afford those.

My reply: For someone who can afford the car they go on, $1200 for a set of tires is probably a drop in the bucket. Same probably goes for insurance.

No, he did not offer, and I did not ask. My goal is to live to 80.

It's an amazing machine, one that I would not really have any good use for, but for what it is, it's pretty cool.

There's an hour long video of the staged event unveiling and the cheesy PR hype is as impressive as the car itself.
Old 04-12-17, 06:24 AM   #7
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Assetto Corsa. The closest you can get to driving a real car without actually buying a real car. And I think in its early days there was a mod for the Dodge Challenger. AC, plus VR, plus some good pedals and wheel rims by Fanatec...

Old 04-12-17, 06:52 AM   #8
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

^ well it's not quite the real thing, but then you can virtually race it w/o having to fear for your or other's lives

What no Farrari Lusso from 1962 in this sim?

I somehow like the Alfa MiTo http://www.assettocorsa.net/wp-conte.../preview-6.jpg, but it is small and it looks terrible from behind

If i had money, i would get:
Ferrari Lusso 1962 okok.. they are not even close in technology to what you have to pay for, but this form...
Jaguar 60ies E-type (helping a friend of mine to restore his, currently 4,2 litre engine and carbs rebuild)
Spitfire Mk.III (don't laugh, for me one of the most beautiful cars in the world, and affordable)
Maybe an MG TC..

Any ideas of becoming a millionaire in 5 years? Please write.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-17, 07:05 AM   #9
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Downloads: 81

One article I read said it's capped at 140 mph?

And I kinda of snickered when it said "fastest US production car in the World".

No wonder them Euros laugh at us when we try to make a car.

Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-17, 07:50 AM   #10
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Last year, the sales number of originally imported US brand cars like Dodge and so forth, were below 600 (not counting Ford producing European designs in Europe). They are so exotic and rare on German streets over here that all heads are turning if their is one, like black GIs turned heads in Germany in the fifties.

Trump lies when saying that is just due to "unfairness". He should know better, its simply is market in action. The cars of design for American consumer desires (or tolerance) simply are not wanted over here, they do not match what German and European car customers want and look for in car design. I have no idea whether these cars are better or worse. i only say they are of a kind and look and design and technical specs that are not wanted by customers over here, not more, not less. Thjats why many American car importing car traders in the past 20 years have given up the import branch of their business. That is no active boycott by us - it simply is a reaction to non-existent consumer interest.

That simple it is, Donny.
Old 04-12-17, 10:09 AM   #11
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Certainly looks like a speed monster and relating to what Steve posted, I remember when I was seventeen my father purchased a Jaguar XJ6 4.2 litre (approx 16 mpg) which was quite heavy consumption for a UK car.

From time to time someone would ask how he could afford the petrol bills and his answer was along the lines of "If petrol bills worry you, then you can't afford the car in the first place".

I heard the same thing here when I asked people who built Hot Rods, some of which were pretty radical. " If you have to ask what it costs to build, maintain or run something like this car, you can't afford it anyhow. I always thought the Jaguar XJ6 was fairly well fuel efficient. They are beautiful cars regardless. A friend has a number of Jaguar XKE's, some of which have the 12 cylinder engine. Certainly, one of the most beautiful cars ever made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargamel View Post
One article I read said it's capped at 140 mph?

And I kinda of snickered when it said "fastest US production car in the World".

No wonder them Euros laugh at us when we try to make a car.
That may well just be for insurance purposes. If you can afford the car but insurance companies won't insure it or you driving it, what good is it ? There are certainly American made cars that can easily reach 140 MPH and well beyond. Reality being what it is, why would anyone want to drive that fast anyway. Racing Motorcycle's or as they are called, " crouch rockets " are even faster.

One time, years ago, my car was blocked in and a friend offered to give me the relatively short ride to college for classes on his racing motorcycle. I accepted and he proceeded to drive as fast as he could, well over 100 mph, with my head buried in his shoulder, eyes closed, screaming the whole way. He on the other hand was laughing like a loon. I lost my voice for a few days and never got on his or any other motorcycle like that racing bike. He still laughs about it when I see him. With friends like that, who needs nightmares ?

If on the other hand you live in Germany, You can easily obtain quality made German cars built to drive on the Autobahn which in certain areas, have unrestricted speed limits and are generally a " leadfoot's " dream.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-17, 10:32 AM   #12
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
LOL.... I'd rather have my 66 GTO. These new retro classics with all of this horse power will only get their owners in a big heap of trouble. Besides that, how can anyone afford the insurance for these thing?
Haggerty will cover the car. Not sure if anyone else will.
Old 04-12-17, 10:33 AM   #13
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

So, last month when I was in Austin. The rental car place asked me if I wanted to "upgrade" to a Dodge Challenger?

Yes.
Yes I would like that.

It was a fun drive to Fredericksburg.
Old 04-12-17, 10:36 AM   #14
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post

You would be surprised, Steve. I worked at Goodyear 11 years. Many purchased cars without thinking ahead to cost of maintenance. Many showed up for a new set of Gator Back tires for their IROC Chevy. When the 4 figure quote for the tires was presented many walked out of the door not realizing tires for the IROC were costly and not affordable. However, the car owner could pay the month to month on the loan because the finance folks made it "work" for the buyer. It "worked" up to the point the vehicle needed tires or other general maintenance.
Old 04-12-17, 10:40 AM   #15
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
840 HP

Wow. My buddy has a Hell Cat with 707HP, it got up to 140 so quick my reflect was "OK, Ok, slow down!" before I could think.

Oh, to be a rich man, this would be a sweet toy. Thing will pull the front tires of the ground.
Left a lasting impression on your arse as it accelerated to light speed!