SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-25-14, 07:18 AM   #16
hocking
Sparky

Downloads: 156
Uploads: 0

That makes sense Steibler. In my current testing, I have the Van1920x1080 widescreen mod installed and really like it. I have not installed the Hsie and Stiebler hardcode fixes yet. Here are two observations:

1) In order to use the Van1920x1080 widescreen you must use the older version "Hitman_GUI_NYGM3_1.0" rather than the more recent "Hitman Optics NYGM 3.6 (Fixed)" version that is located in the Documentation folder of the "NYGM3_6D" folder which is apart of the NYGM install. Is this correct? What is the difference between these two version of Hitman's GUI?

2) When I look at my current "menu_1024_768.ini" file after installing both Hitman's GUI and vanjast's widescreen mod I notice that the Steibler changes from his hardcode fixes are not there. I also noticed, as Steibler warned, that the numbering system has changed as well. This means I will have to apply Stiebler's hardcode fix manual changes to my final "menu_1024)768.ini" file after installing all other mods paying particular attention to the code titles rather than numbers since they have changed. Is this correct?

Thanks again for continued help on getting me up and running. I guess I have been away from SH3 since about 2009 which seems an eternity with all these new mods and updates that are available.
hocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-14, 11:29 AM   #17
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

Quote:
Originally Posted by hocking View Post
That makes sense Steibler. In my current testing, I have the Van1920x1080 widescreen mod installed and really like it. I have not installed the Hsie and Stiebler hardcode fixes yet. Here are two observations:

1) In order to use the Van1920x1080 widescreen you must use the older version "Hitman_GUI_NYGM3_1.0" rather than the more recent "Hitman Optics NYGM 3.6 (Fixed)" version that is located in the Documentation folder of the "NYGM3_6D" folder which is apart of the NYGM install. Is this correct? What is the difference between these two version of Hitman's GUI?

2) When I look at my current "menu_1024_768.ini" file after installing both Hitman's GUI and vanjast's widescreen mod I notice that the Steibler changes from his hardcode fixes are not there. I also noticed, as Steibler warned, that the numbering system has changed as well. This means I will have to apply Stiebler's hardcode fix manual changes to my final "menu_1024)768.ini" file after installing all other mods paying particular attention to the code titles rather than numbers since they have changed. Is this correct?

Thanks again for continued help on getting me up and running. I guess I have been away from SH3 since about 2009 which seems an eternity with all these new mods and updates that are available.
1) I am not the expert here, but I will try to answer your question based on what I know and have inferred about the two mods. I apologize to all if my interpretation is wrong, and I invite anyone who has better information (Hitman, especially!) to post here and set me straight.

Hitmans' Optics is just what the name implies. It is a mod which alters the optics of NYGM, with the goal of increasing the historical accuracy of the optics screens only. It changes cameras.dat to make the FoV and magnification historically more appropriate, and to make the proportions of images in the scopes more useful for determining target range and aspect when using scope graticles only (as was done historically). It removes the stadimeter and RAOBF, and uses graticles modeled on surviving examples from actual U-boats. It removes the notepad interface with the WE. That, as I understand, is all it does. It is not a GUI or a replacement for a GUI.

Hitman's GUI is a (partial) change to the NYGM GUI. It incorporates a change to the NYGM optics. Not exactly the same change as Hitman's Optics but very similar. It also adds a new TVR panel (TVR was the German functional equivalent of the TDC), large pop-up gauges for 260m and heading gauges, new images for the officer buttons, and a new target bearing angle calculator. None of this additional functionality appears in Hitman's Optics.

Van1920x1080 is based on NYGM and Hitman's GUI. It might work with Hitman's Optics, but it isn't meant to. If you don't want the additional functionality of Hitman's GUI. you will have to edit it out of Van1920x1080. (BTW, that is the approach I have taken.)

Hitman's Optics is absolutely not a follow-on version of Hitman's GUI. They serve different purposes, should not be used together, and should not be substituted for one another.

2) That is correct. You can also use the .tga files in an item entry (in menu_1024_768.ini) to help identify the item's function. As Stiebler notes, the ItemIDs shown will only match the ItemIDs in from the menu_1024_768.ini from unmodded NYGM.

h.sie has a very nifty little tool for resequencing groups in menu_1024_768,ini. You can find it here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=152823 Don't leave home without it!
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-14, 12:59 PM   #18
hocking
Sparky

Thank you very much BigWalleye. I was definitely confused thinking those two files were substitutes.

To summarize for anyone else following my attempt to get things straight, Hitman has two versions of his GUI: "Hitman_GUI_NYGM3_1.0" and a newer version "Hitman_GUI_NYGM3_1.1". The version that should be used with vanjast's 1920x1080 widescreen fix for NYGM is the older version "Hitman_GUI_NYGM3_1.0" (keeping in mind that vanjast makes some alterations to this in his widescreen mod). Hitman's "Optics" mod should not be used if your goal is to use vanjast's widescreen mod.

Please correct me if anything above is not true. I am slowing getting to where I want to be to start my first patrol. Hopefully this weekend.
Old 07-25-14, 03:35 PM   #19
hocking
Sparky

Is "FM_NewInterior v2.1D" interior mod compatible with NYGM, Hitman's NYGM3_1.0, and vanjast's 1920x1080 widescreen mod?

In getting to the end of my install order, this is what order I have installed in:

NYGM Tonnage War V2.5 – Stand Alone Version
NYGM3_New
NYGM3_6D
IABLShipsforNYGM_New
3rd Flotilla Mod
NYGM HiRes Submarines
NYGM 3.6D zigzag campaign layer
Hitman_GUI_NYGM3_1.0
Sh3_volumetric_clouds&fog_V2.2
TheDarkWraith_DC_Water_Disturbance_v4_0_SH3

Planning to install these next in this order:

FM_NewInterior v2.1D
Supplement to V16B1 (from Hsie's hardcode fixes)
Stiebler4B_Addon_for_B16B1 (from Stiebler's hardcode fixes addon)
Vanjast's 1920x1080 Widescreen

Then I will make the manual changes to files (i.e., menu_1024_768) from Stiebler's hardcode fixes.

The only other mod I would want to add to this list later is the MEP v4 environment mod. I want to try the base NYGM environment first.
Old 07-25-14, 06:35 PM   #20
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Quote:
To summarize for anyone else following my attempt to get things straight, Hitman has two versions of his GUI: "Hitman_GUI_NYGM3_1.0" and a newer version "Hitman_GUI_NYGM3_1.1". The version that should be used with vanjast's 1920x1080 widescreen fix for NYGM is the older version "Hitman_GUI_NYGM3_1.0"
I made a fairly thorough comparison of the contents of Hitman_GUI_NYGM3_1.0 and Hitman_GUI_NYGM3_1.1. The only substantive difference that I was able to identify was that Hitman_GUI_NYGM3_1.1 contains all the changes necessary to implement h.sie's Colored Hull Integrity Indicator, while Hitman_GUI_NYGM3_1.0 does not. Most of the files in V1.1 show a different timestamp from the same-named files in v1.0, but an examination shows the same file contents. I did not view and compare all the graphics files, but a sampling showed the same contents for them also. I did not review all of cameras.dat parameters, but the UZO, peri, and obs peri entries all show the same parameter values in v1.0 and v1.1. I conclude from these results that Hitman_GUI_NYGM3_1.1 can be used interchangeably with Hitman_GUI_NYGM3_1.0 and that vanjast's widescreen mod will work equally well with either.

And I am relieved, as I didn't notice the call-out for v1.0 in vanjast's documentation. I used v1.1, which I already had in my JSGME Mods folder. I can report that I have not encountered any problems with the combination of Hitman_GUI_NYGM3_1.1 and Van1920X1080, although truthfully I haven't had much operational experience with it yet.

Quote:
Is "FM_NewInterior v2.1D" interior mod compatible with NYGM, Hitman's NYGM3_1.0, and vanjast's 1920x1080 widescreen mod?
Yes, it works fine and the sub interior looks great in widescreen. You will probably have to edit your commands.cfg file to get the hatches to open and close. (I always use my own custom commands.cfg, so I don't know for sure.) That edit shouldn't be a show-stopper.

A caution: Some, but not all, players who have used TheDarkWraith_DC_Water_Disturbance_v4_0_SH3 have reported experiencing corrupt, unrecoverable saves. This problem doesn't seem to be an inherent flaw in the mod, but the result of an interaction between it and something else in the program environment, probably another mod. To date, no one has succeeded in chasing this problem down. I wouldn't discourage anyone from using this mod, but you might get the rest of your install up and running and gain some operational experience before you load TheDarkWraith_DC_Water_Disturbance_v4_0_SH3. Then try it for a patrol or two without making a heavy emotional investment in a career.

Last edited by BigWalleye; 07-25-14 at 06:45 PM.
Old 07-25-14, 11:18 PM   #21
hocking
Sparky

Thank you so much for the clarification on this, and for the warning about the TDW_DC_Water_Dist possible bug. I will hold off on that mod for now and make sure I have everything else working for at least one patrol before trying it out.

I went ahead and installed FM_NewInterior v2.1D before I installed Hitman's GUI v 1.1 and the Van1920x1080 widescreen mod. As you mention, I have the excellent looking interiors but the only way I can get around them is to press SHIFT+F2 (free camera) and float around the sub moving through closed hatches and things like that. The SHIFT+E (dynamic free camera) simply transports me to the engine room, and SHIFT+H and CTRL+H do not open and close hatches. I didn't even try the SHIFT+O or CTRL+0 commands as I am using vanjast's mod for the observation scope. My guess is that when I install Hitman's GUI and Vanjast's widescreen fix after installing the FM_Interiors the commands_en.cfg files are changed removing the FM_Interior functions.

I looked up the code for Shift+E, Ctrl+H, and Shift+H in the commands_en.cfg file that is included with the FM_NewInterior mod and put those lines into the command_en.cfg file in the data/cfg folder (after backing up this file and making sure nothing else was assigned to those keys). This did not work at all. Should I install these three mods in another order? Or, could you let me know what I need to add to the command_en.cfg file to get the full FM_NewInterior functionality?

Really appreciate all your help. After getting this squared away all I have left to do is apply the hardcode fixes and I am ready for my first patrol.
Old 07-26-14, 07:02 AM   #22
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Quote:
Thank you so much for the clarification on this, and for the warning about the TDW_DC_Water_Dist possible bug. I will hold off on that mod for now and make sure I have everything else working for at least one patrol before trying it out.

I went ahead and installed FM_NewInterior v2.1D before I installed Hitman's GUI v 1.1 and the Van1920x1080 widescreen mod. As you mention, I have the excellent looking interiors but the only way I can get around them is to press SHIFT+F2 (free camera) and float around the sub moving through closed hatches and things like that. The SHIFT+E (dynamic free camera) simply transports me to the engine room, and SHIFT+H and CTRL+H do not open and close hatches. I didn't even try the SHIFT+O or CTRL+0 commands as I am using vanjast's mod for the observation scope. My guess is that when I install Hitman's GUI and Vanjast's widescreen fix after installing the FM_Interiors the commands_en.cfg files are changed removing the FM_Interior functions.

I looked up the code for Shift+E, Ctrl+H, and Shift+H in the commands_en.cfg file that is included with the FM_NewInterior mod and put those lines into the command_en.cfg file in the data/cfg folder (after backing up this file and making sure nothing else was assigned to those keys). This did not work at all. Should I install these three mods in another order? Or, could you let me know what I need to add to the command_en.cfg file to get the full FM_NewInterior functionality?

Really appreciate all your help. After getting this squared away all I have left to do is apply the hardcode fixes and I am ready for my first patrol.
The open/close hatches action of FM_NewInterior v2.1D is linked to the WE. Find the command in commands.cfg for Name=Weapons_officer. Use that key to cycle the hatches. If there is no key bound to that command, assign one. In Hitman's GUI, "SHIFT ;" is unassigned. I use it. BTW, in the commands.cfg for Hitman's GUI, the command Name=Weapons_officer has no key binding.

Then check to see that the WE is on station. I have spent hours (literally!) trying to get the hatch to open, only to realize that I was using the academy missions for my test case - and the WE is not on station when the academy missions load. You must drag the lazy slug off his bunk and into the Command Room (on the crew status page, natch). Then try the hatches.

I don't know about the dynamic free cam. Never used it. But "SHIFT F2" gets me the free cam and that is what I use.

I use a home-brew commands.cfg, which I activate last, along with all other changes I make to the mods I am using. That way, all the rest of my mods are copied into JSGME exactly as downloaded. I call it my "On-top Mod". So when I merge menu_1024_768.ini files from Van1920x1080 and Stiebler's patcher, I leave the mod folders alone and put the merged file into the On-top folder. I found it saves a lot of hair-pulling!
Old 07-26-14, 09:04 AM   #23
hocking
Sparky

Yes, I also use the Academy "Navigation" mission to test things so I also would have had the issue of the WO being in the bunk! Thanks for the warning.

I have applied the Commands.cfg changes following along with the Commands.cfg file that came with the FM Interior mod. I assigned both the Shift+E and Shift+H (neither were assigned in my original Commands.cfg file) so I will go test things out making sure the WO is on duty. Thanks for your instructions on this.

I think I am done applying mods for now and am ready to start learning NYGM in actual patrols/training missions. Here is my final install order:

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[G:\SH3-NYGM\MODS]

NYGM3_New
NYGM3_6D
IABLShipsforNYGM_New
3rd Flotilla Mod
NYGM HiRes Submarines
FM_NewInterior v2.1D
Hitman_GUI_NYGM3_1.1
Harbor Traffic Add-In
Supplement to V16B1
Stiebler4B_Addon_for_V16B1
Van1920x1080_also install d3d9 files manually
NON-JSGME: Make manual file changes found in Steibler's V16B1 update

Thanks again for all your help in getting me set up correctly.
Old 07-26-14, 11:28 AM   #24
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Quote:
Yes, I also use the Academy "Navigation" mission to test things so I also would have had the issue of the WO being in the bunk! Thanks for the warning.

I have applied the Commands.cfg changes following along with the Commands.cfg file that came with the FM Interior mod. I assigned both the Shift+E and Shift+H (neither were assigned in my original Commands.cfg file) so I will go test things out making sure the WO is on duty. Thanks for your instructions on this.

I think I am done applying mods for now and am ready to start learning NYGM in actual patrols/training missions. Here is my final install order:

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[G:\SH3-NYGM\MODS]

NYGM3_New
NYGM3_6D
IABLShipsforNYGM_New
3rd Flotilla Mod
NYGM HiRes Submarines
FM_NewInterior v2.1D
Hitman_GUI_NYGM3_1.1
Harbor Traffic Add-In
Supplement to V16B1
Stiebler4B_Addon_for_V16B1
Van1920x1080_also install d3d9 files manually
NON-JSGME: Make manual file changes found in Steibler's V16B1 update

Thanks again for all your help in getting me set up correctly.
Lookin' good! Hope everything works well for you.

Good luck and good hunting!
Old 07-27-14, 05:38 AM   #25
vanjast
Sea Lord

Downloads: 801
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWalleye View Post
..Don't leave home without it!
That's funny..
Yes.. this is a very important utility when fiddling the Menu file - saves a lot of headaches
What I did when using this, is keep every backup file created, in another folder - helps if you need to go back a few steps

Quote:
I haven't tried this as I last remember that there there were some problems... but thanks BigWallEye.. I'll install when I return to the 'Bordello'
vanjast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-14, 06:32 AM   #26
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanjast View Post
That's funny..
Yes.. this is a very important utility when fiddling the Menu file - saves a lot of headaches
What I did when using this, is keep every backup file created, in another folder - helps if you need to go back a few steps
YES! When you are editing the game files, there is no such thing as too many back-ups.

Quote:
I haven't tried this as I last remember that there there were some problems... but thanks BigWallEye.. I'll install when I return to the 'Bordello'

Yes, there is a (minor) problem. Hitman's GUI includes a commands.cfg the does not have a keybinding for the Weapons Officer. FM_NewInterior v2.1D uses the Weapons Officer key as the command to cycle the hatches. So you have to edit the commands.cfg and assign the Weapons Officer command to an unused key combination. . No biggie, but it won't work out-of-the-box. But it does work, and looks great at 1920x1080. Thank you!

I have a custom commands.cfg that I always load last, so I never noticed this.