SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-13-07, 11:01 AM   #106
donw
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 25
Uploads: 0

Well...thats what I thought too. So my next question is...At what point does the described method become invalid? If AOB of exactly 90deg gives 100% accurate speed, at what angle does it become unusable?
donw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-07, 11:09 AM   #107
Slang
Mate

Downloads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by donw
Let me jump in here with a question that I'm sure somebody can answer...
When determining speed, it would seem that the ideal orientation would be 90deg AOB from the target.

As this angle increases or decreases, meaning the target is approaching a path either directly away or toward you....how does that effect this method of speed calc?

In other words...if your target is directly ahead of you...going the same direction...how do you get their speed?
As long as the target isn't heading directly toward/away from you the speed calculation should work. The AOB doesn't really affect the calculation. In other words a ship at 90 AOB will take the same amount of time to cross the line as a ship at 35 AOB.

If the ship is heading directly toward/away from you then you need a different way to determine speed. I would suggest taking a range and bearing reading, then immediately start the chrono. At 3:15 take another range/bearing reading. Then measure the distance between the two points. That distance will be his speed in knots. ie.. 0.7km is 7 knots, 0.9km is 9 knots etc.

You should also think about getting the nomograph mod. It will let you determine speed for any given time value, rather then always waiting exactly 3:15.
Slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-07, 11:57 AM   #108
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 3

Slang is correct.

My advice:

When you're almost directly ahead of a target, just stop and wait for it to pass (obviously, move out of the way first if it is heading straight for you) and time it as it goes past you, then flank.

When behind a target which you can keep up with it at PD, just lock the scope and keep pressing the CE's Heading to View command. You will end up perfectly positioned behind the target. Then speed doesn't matter.

When behind a target which you can't keep up with at PD, you're gonna have to flank anyway...
Old 11-13-07, 11:58 AM   #109
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turm
On the regular part of the GUI along the bottom, does the clock show your local time or GMT?
Same time it always says, in stock, GWX, whatever... I don't think any mods change it. I assume it's GMT but I've never tested it :hmm:
Old 11-13-07, 04:22 PM   #110
U-Cass
Mate

Downloads: 37

What is the DiD that I can see in your Sig as a mod. I have seen it mentioned in a few other posts?
Edit: Doh ! Dead is Dead. Just came to me.

p.s. any chance of 1.3/1.4 having WO call out Neutral/Enemy as well as Range/Bearing...

Just a fervent prayer for us blind people fumbling in the dark. This is the only thing bugging me about playing 100% dead german merchant
PLOP!
U-Cass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-07, 04:42 PM   #111
BzT
Swabbie

Downloads: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelifecrisis
Quote:
On the regular part of the GUI along the bottom, does the clock show your local time or GMT?
Same time it always says, in stock, GWX, whatever... I don't think any mods change it. I assume it's GMT but I've never tested it :hmm:
As far as I know its Berlin time... in stock/GWX, there's a rollover tooltip that shows local time in addition to the date.
Old 11-13-07, 06:13 PM   #112
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzT
... in stock/GWX, there's a rollover tooltip that shows local time in addition to the date.
There is?

I'll check and if you're right I'll see if I can put it back in...

@U-Cass, yeah, dead is dead. I find that when I don't play DiD, I just reload at the first hint of real danger, or sometimes just because a shot misses a really juicy target. Playing DiD makes me try to get through that nasty depth charge attack and take better care next time I shoot at a major target. It also stops me taking wreckless risks - something I did a lot at the beginning. I enjoy the game more this way.

Dev News
1.1.3 is nearly ready. The Flaggen chart has been added to the binocular view and a depth tool has been added to the navmap (pretty much identical to the one which used to be attached to the GWX pencil tool, except this one is draggable). Also a bit of minor graphical polish has been added here and there... just fixes to tiny cosmetic things that I've noticed while playing.
Old 11-13-07, 06:22 PM   #113
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by U-Cass
p.s. any chance of 1.3/1.4 having WO call out Neutral/Enemy as well as Range/Bearing...

Just a fervent prayer for us blind people fumbling in the dark. This is the only thing bugging me about playing 100% dead german merchant
No, sorry. I'm not sure it's even possible :hmm: but at any rate I wouldn't want to add it.

I assume you're using GWX? In which case I suggest you do this: backup your data\sound\music\music.cfg file somewhere, then overwrite it with the stock version of the file. This restores the stock music, which will tell you whether the ship is friendly or not
Old 11-13-07, 06:37 PM   #114
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelifecrisis
Quote:
Originally Posted by BzT
... in stock/GWX, there's a rollover tooltip that shows local time in addition to the date.
There is?

I'll check and if you're right I'll see if I can put it back in...
Yup, there it is. Strange, I never noticed it before. Well I'll have to dig out the old menu ini and find out what I removed...
Old 11-13-07, 06:55 PM   #115
Turm
Engineer

Downloads: 17

Yep, that's exactly why I asked - I was used to checking my local time in stock 1.4b, but in your mod I could only see the one time so wondered where you'd moved the other one to!

I prefer to use local time out at sea as it makes more sense with the day/night cycles, but always handy to have GMT too (which I'm sure the main clock shows, since when starting at, say, Wilhelmshaven, your local time is 1 hour ahead of the main time shown in the GUI). Not sure daylight-savings time is included in the game.

Hope it's easy to put the local time back in! Good luck

As for measuring ship speeds at angles far away from 90°, I think that the shape of the ship has a small effect. Ideally, you should start & stop the measurement when the bow & stern of the ship along its centreline cross the vertical mark. The bow is no problem as it's usually pointy, but the stern is normally rather round and this could cause you to get a slower speed reading. For example, if you're at 10° AOB the aft-centre of the ship will have already gone past the vertical mark (though you can't see it) by the time the port/stbd aft 'corner' (depending on which side of the ship you are) crosses the vertical mark. It might only add a second or two at worst, but could slightly reduce speed readings.

Hard to explain without a diagram, but hope you see what I mean. Not a big problem but something to consider when stopping the stopwatch in certain circumstances.
Turm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-07, 07:30 PM   #116
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
As for measuring ship speeds at angles far away from 90°, I think that the shape of the ship has a small effect. Ideally, you should start & stop the measurement when the bow & stern of the ship along its centreline cross the vertical mark. The bow is no problem as it's usually pointy, but the stern is normally rather round and this could cause you to get a slower speed reading. For example, if you're at 10° AOB the aft-centre of the ship will have already gone past the vertical mark (though you can't see it) by the time the port/stbd aft 'corner' (depending on which side of the ship you are) crosses the vertical mark. It might only add a second or two at worst, but could slightly reduce speed readings.

Hard to explain without a diagram, but hope you see what I mean. Not a big problem but something to consider when stopping the stopwatch in certain circumstances.
I know exactly what you mean and you are correct, but it's never caused me a problem... although, I do tend to take speed measurements when the AOB is in the 45-135 range, which minimizes the error. The main thing I want people to be aware of is that they don't have to be at exactly 90 to get an accurate speed reading... anywhere to the side of the target will be accurate
Old 11-13-07, 07:55 PM   #117
Trefoil
Helmsman

Downloads: 57

Hi OLC - I'm looking forward to your new update. Time for a new patrol, I think.

I noticed you were going to make your depth tool draggable. I do use the draggable protractor tool a lot in your mod & have managed to drag it too close to the edge of the chart and been unable to retrieve it. An obvious & simple solution is, probably, not to drag the tool too close to the edge of the chart, but if you do want to make your mod idiot proof......
Old 11-13-07, 08:06 PM   #118
donw
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 25

OK OLC...I really am trying to get my head wrapped around the whole manual targeting concept. and I follow what you say about AOB, and keeping it within those angles you mentioned. That is what I was looking for.

Now, please allow me another question, and if its already answered somewhere, forgive me, as I have not seen it.

The tutorial is wonderful and helps alot to get the use of these gadgets figured out. But is there a step by step "Illustrated" manual out here anywhere? I'm looking for something to print out, that can be used as each item is calculated, showing where exactly to grab, which wheel when, the tickmarks to use...etc etc...just as you demonstrated in the movie?
donw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-07, 08:20 PM   #119
skookum
Weps

Downloads: 35

Hi OLC. A small request. Since it seems you're still adding little tid bits here and there to this excellent mod, is there any chance you might be willing to change the Symbolzoom variable in Maps.cfg to read "10" on future updates. Unless it interferes with something else of course. I'll be downloading each update as its released but, since I use a bearing ring mod, it would be nice to not have to edit this variable each time.

Please and Thank you.

BTW I'm sure you're quite busy modding and would likely appreciate it if your workload were kept to a reasonable level. With your permission, I'd be willing to write a tutorial (with screenies) for those who would like a step by step guide to using this GUI (I'll probably write one anyways but won't release it till you give the nod).

PM if you like.

Cheers
OLC GUI is the bomb.
skookum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-07, 08:27 PM   #120
Castout
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 6

Thank you OLC. This is definitely one of the coolest mod ever to grace(edit: doh it was embrace) the SH3 community along with DivingDuck's Open Hatch mod and of course GWX.

to you

Last edited by Castout; 11-13-07 at 11:43 PM.
Castout is offline   Reply With Quote