SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Indie Subsims > Sub Commander
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-10-14, 10:01 PM   #211
TheGeoff
Planesman

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixermath View Post
I've been trying to play for a few hours now, but there is one thing which is holding me back. It seems that whenever I am playing, my location on the map you get when you press M is not updating. It still is saying that I am at the starting position, even after 3 days straight of travelling at 30 knots. Is this a bug, or am I missing something?
I've never seen or heard of a bug which could cause that... the only explanations I can think of are:
  • You are pointing at land (you can't run your sub aground at the moment, you will just stop moving when you hit land). You'll be able to clearly see if this is the problem using the periscope.
  • You have dived too deep and you're stuck on the sea floor (check the "depth under keel" on the map screen)
  • Your turbines are non-functional (because they have been destroyed, switched off or are not receiving power from the nuclear reactors) and your electric motor is also not working (either because it has been destroyed or you have run out of battery). Check the turbine control panel in the engine room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaystew
I think your famous. Happened to stumble on this about sub commander.

Not even a true blue submariner as he refers to them "torpeodoes" as missiles but forgive and forget

Check it out here

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014...sub-commander/

Congrats
I knew something was up when the number of downloads suddenly skyrocketed! It still blows my mind that actual gaming websites are publishing articles about my game

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaJake
Hey Geoff, Sorry, I don't now how to quote you (I'm not real good using forums).

I attempted to reinstall the latest version, Into a clean folder, And I left the config to default. Sure enough after about 2 minutes, I got "illegal memory address".

I really hope you can fix this, I loved your game for the time I got to play it!
Hmm, I really don't know what could be causing this. I've compiled a special debug version which should help narrow it down - if you don't mind, could you please download this file (https://www.dropbox.com/s/1uridl2tgg..._023_DEBUG.exe), place it in your sub commander folder (same folder as the regular .exe file) and run it. It is almost identical to the regular game (with some extra logging stuff added) so it should crash the same way. After it crashes it will generate a log file called DebugLog.dbg in the sub commander folder with some behind-the-scenes info on what the game was doing (this file can be opened with notepad if you want to read it). Could you please email the DebugLog.dbg file to subcommandergame@gmail.com? It would really help me track down the problem!

Edit: By the way, you can quote people on the forum by pressing the buttons in the bottom right hand corner of every post.
TheGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-14, 10:30 PM   #212
BubbaJake
Swabbie

Downloads: 31
Default Email sent

It ran successfully, and crashed at around the same time, except this time it gave me "array out of bounds".

The debug log has been sent, keep me posted! I really want to play this game.
BubbaJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-14, 04:21 AM   #213
Myxale
Admiral

Downloads: 70

Gotta admit, this part of Subsim i rarely frequent.
But thanx to RPS article on this little Sim-Jewel i found it.
And its worlds of awesome-

Well done maestro-

Myxale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-14, 12:26 PM   #214
999-Jay-999
Loader

Downloads: 10

Wow- did not know about this little gem until I saw it on ROCK, PAPER, SHOTGUN.

FTL for sub simmers eh..
Old 06-11-14, 04:55 PM   #215
BubbaJake
Swabbie

Downloads: 31
Default WORKED!

The new minutes file you sent me has worked so far, (the twenty minutes I've been playing it) thank you so much!

By the way, what was wrong with it? If you don't want to say or just can't its okay. Just wanted to know.

Another non-critical error i wanted to report was that in fullscreen mode a lot of the textures and object flicker. I am using a 1920 by 1080 screen. It's nothing big, but I just wanted to mention. This has happened with every file.

Thanks again, I look forward to the next update!
BubbaJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-14, 06:11 PM   #216
VoidedWarranty
Nub

Downloads: 0
Default Illegal memory address

Having a bug that sounds very similar to that of bubbajack. Downloaded Sub commander, moved to my game library file, extracted from the .rar package, and ran. Immediately upon opening, a window opens called "Blitz runtime window" and an error message appears saying Illegal Memory Address. I have moved the run folder to a few places, though I doubt that would make a difference.
EDIT: Using latest version link.
VoidedWarranty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-14, 07:47 PM   #217
TheGeoff
Planesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myxale View Post
Gotta admit, this part of Subsim i rarely frequent.
But thanx to RPS article on this little Sim-Jewel i found it.
And its worlds of awesome-

Well done maestro-
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaJake View Post
The new minutes file you sent me has worked so far, (the twenty minutes I've been playing it) thank you so much!

By the way, what was wrong with it? If you don't want to say or just can't its okay. Just wanted to know.

Another non-critical error i wanted to report was that in fullscreen mode a lot of the textures and object flicker. I am using a 1920 by 1080 screen. It's nothing big, but I just wanted to mention. This has happened with every file.

Thanks again, I look forward to the next update!
Glad it worked! The bug was in the code to render the map, there was a problem with some code I added a couple of patches ago which could cause the game to crash. The game would occasionally try to calculate the sea depth at a point off the edge of the world (ie. further north than the north pole ) and crash. I don't know why it happened to you every game and only very rarely for everyone else though. Were you maybe starting in Murmansk or Arkhangelsk and sailing north every time?

Anyway, the bug will be officially fixed in the next version. Thanks for pointing it out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoidedWarranty View Post
Having a bug that sounds very similar to that of bubbajack. Downloaded Sub commander, moved to my game library file, extracted from the .rar package, and ran. Immediately upon opening, a window opens called "Blitz runtime window" and an error message appears saying Illegal Memory Address. I have moved the run folder to a few places, though I doubt that would make a difference.
EDIT: Using latest version link.
A few others have encountered this. Some computers block the game from running properly, I think it may be related to some hidden Windows security setting. There are two common solutions:Let me know if it works!
Old 06-11-14, 07:58 PM   #218
VoidedWarranty
Nub

Running as admin did not work, DEP exclusion did. Thanks for the help!
VoidedWarranty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-14, 09:04 PM   #219
TheGeoff
Planesman

Sub Commander now has its own subforum!

I've created a thread for crashes and bug reporting here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show....php?p=2215736
Old 06-12-14, 02:55 AM   #220
Myxale
Admiral

Downloads: 70

Finally your own sub-forum! (pun-pun)

Spend a few hours playing yesterday and it gets better the more I play.
Managed to save my sub from a fire, only to suffer a critical meltdown.

I know that Russian Craftsmanship has a bad rep, but my Sub suffering a coolant pump failure five minutes after leaving pen is a bit extreme.

Have yet to stay alive long enough to reach my mission coordinates.

Myxale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-14, 08:15 AM   #221
feanix
Bilge Rat

I just registered specially to say that I love this game. So hard, so compelling! I've managed to complete a couple of missions over about 10 different games and ohmahgawdsogood. So tense waiting for something to go wrong and then when it does it's a frantic process of trying to reign in potential disaster! Fire in the torpedo room? Evacuate the compartment, activate fire extinguishers! Reactor coolant pump damaged? Quick, shut down the reactor and start repairs immediately! Better overy safe than extremely sorry (and radioactive!).

Well done! So amazing!
feanix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-14, 10:07 AM   #222
Forecaster
Bilge Rat

I love the concept, will definitely follow and see where it goes!

Although I didn't love when an attack set fire to the outside of the hull and it didn't go out, and I couldn't do anything about it...

I'd also love a view of the sub from the side if feasible, plus a context sensitive right-click menu would make wonders, especially for ordering crew around!
Forecaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-14, 04:10 AM   #223
TheGeoff
Planesman

I've added a FAQ thread here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=213948

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myxale View Post
Finally your own sub-forum! (pun-pun)

Spend a few hours playing yesterday and it gets better the more I play.
Managed to save my sub from a fire, only to suffer a critical meltdown.

I know that Russian Craftsmanship has a bad rep, but my Sub suffering a coolant pump failure five minutes after leaving pen is a bit extreme.

Have yet to stay alive long enough to reach my mission coordinates.
Try increasing the submarine reliability a bit (in the gameoptions file), I'm starting to think the defaults are set a bit too low!

Quote:
Originally Posted by feanix View Post
I just registered specially to say that I love this game. So hard, so compelling! I've managed to complete a couple of missions over about 10 different games and ohmahgawdsogood. So tense waiting for something to go wrong and then when it does it's a frantic process of trying to reign in potential disaster! Fire in the torpedo room? Evacuate the compartment, activate fire extinguishers! Reactor coolant pump damaged? Quick, shut down the reactor and start repairs immediately! Better overy safe than extremely sorry (and radioactive!).

Well done! So amazing!
Thank you! Welcome to Subsim, glad you're enjoying the game. I never get tired of comments like this haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forecaster View Post

Although I didn't love when an attack set fire to the outside of the hull and it didn't go out, and I couldn't do anything about it...

I'd also love a view of the sub from the side if feasible, plus a context sensitive right-click menu would make wonders, especially for ordering crew around!
You can put out fires on the outside of the hull by diving down a metre or two then surfacing again. But come to think of it, it doesn't make any sense for the outer hull to keep burning forever... what's fueling the fire anyway? I'll fix that up for next time

A context sensitive menu when using the mouse is a damn good idea too, I'll definitely see what I can come up with.
Old 06-13-14, 07:51 AM   #224
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by feanix View Post

Well done! So amazing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forecaster View Post

Welcome to you both

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-14, 07:30 AM   #225
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Just got into this via Rock Paper Shotgun, well done for getting mentioned there.

This is fantastic with tonnes of potential, and replayability. Very well done, indeed.
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote