SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-10-15, 05:19 AM   #1
She-Wolf
Watchdog

Downloads: 152
Uploads: 0
Default saw this, thought it might be of interest

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-27312953
Old 01-10-15, 05:54 AM   #2
sublynx
Sea Lord

Location: In the conning tower of my VIIC scanning the sea through the periscope
Downloads: 173
Uploads: 7

Thanks. Interesting story. That one tragedy with 800 casualties compares with the actual Utah beach landing where 4th Infantry Division and the engineers lost about a similar number of soldiers.
Old 01-10-15, 09:04 AM   #3
RConch
Captain

Downloads: 503

Thank you-very interesting. I wish I had 5million and one pound. Would I love to run it on Lake Anna.
Old 01-10-15, 01:23 PM   #4
U-15
Soundman

Downloads: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by She-Wolf View Post
Hello She-Wolf,

Yes it is a very interesting and very tragic story.
A few counties down the road from you in Devon is Slapton Sands, where the Americans were carrying out those training exercises (Exercise Tiger) in preparation for the Normandy landings.

I have visited the site many years ago, and the Sherman tank memorial is a stark reminder of the tragedy.
The local community still commemorate the event as per this link:

http://www.exercisetigerslapton.org/...tiger/history/

Once again thanks for the post.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
U-15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-15, 04:01 PM   #5
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Hey, She-Wolf! Good to see you posting again.

What an amazing tale, and one I probably would have missed if not for you. Thanks for sharing that.
Old 01-11-15, 03:14 PM   #6
She-Wolf
Watchdog

Hi again folks. I had not known of this event either ( thank you for the welcome back Sailor Steve) and agree U-15, sad day. The article you linked to is interesting - I had heard of Slapton Sands but it hadn't sunk in about what had happened there. Anyway, glad you found it interesting folks
Old 01-11-15, 04:13 PM   #7
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default a little 'bigotry' in the coverup

I have known about Slapton Sands and the alleged cover-up of 946 deaths..."was never covered up; it was 'conveniently forgotten'". One of the big worries: was as a result of official embarrassment and concerns over possible leaks just prior to the real invasion, all survivors were sworn to secrecy by their superiors. Ten missing officers involved in the exercise had BIGOT-level clearance for D-Day, meaning that they knew the invasion plans and could have compromised the invasion should they have been captured alive. As a result, the invasion was nearly called off until the bodies of all ten victims were found. In war the learning curve is very stiff. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exercise_Tiger.plaque on German bunker at Normandy..

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-15, 04:29 PM   #8
blackswan40
LSH-2022 Liaison Officer

Downloads: 589
Uploads: 30

Hi Sailor Steve She-Wolf I found this on youtube about exercise tiger on Slapton Sands the disaster was hushed up in the war.
The topbrass were very worried the some of the missing officers so called overlorders that knew part/all of the overall D-day plan had been picked up by the attacking e-boats but as the hours past after the disaster all the missing overlorder bodies were found none were captured.

check this out

Last edited by blackswan40; 01-11-15 at 04:48 PM.
blackswan40 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-15, 05:37 AM   #9
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Not an overly well known story for obvious reasons but one I recall my father telling me many years ago.

There were other assets not too far away but couldn't give assistance due to the lack of prior knowledge of the exercise as well as the risk their charges might have faced should they have left them.

Below sums up the need for the cover-up at the time IMHO.

Quote:
As a result of official embarrassment and concerns over possible leaks just prior to the real invasion, all survivors were sworn to secrecy by their superiors. Ten missing officers involved in the exercise had BIGOT-level clearance for D-Day, meaning that they knew the invasion plans and could have compromised the invasion should they have been captured alive. As a result, the invasion was nearly called off until the bodies of all ten victims were found.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-15, 11:28 AM   #10
U-15
Soundman

http://www.exercisetigermemorial.co.uk/

Another interesting site, with some good video footage, and quite moving accounts of the whole tragedy.

Hope you find it enlightening.
Regards
U-15

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 01-13-15, 12:18 PM   #11
She-Wolf
Watchdog

yes, some moving accounts, I read them all. Horrible, sad, but, thanks to people like Ken Small, not forgotten. I was about two years old then. The fact that they did not have any protection should have been addressed, I wonder if it ever was - and Admiral Moore (sp?) committed suicide, I wonder if that was because of what happened that day. It reminds me of something else I heard about in respect of the landing craft going toward the beach (Utah?) on D-Day, and the fully manned tanks being released into the water before they got close enough, with the consequent loss of all their crews due to drowning. Was that really so? Another tragedy that should not have happened - but in the chaos of war I suppose such things will surely happen.
Old 01-13-15, 01:06 PM   #12
U-15
Soundman

Hello She-Wolf,

I remember reading some time ago, that some of the tanks aiming for Omaha beach were launched too far away from the shore, beyond the 5,000 yards initially intended.

The significant factor however is the weather.
The skirted Duplex-Drive tanks were designed and tested to traverse 1 foot waves, however on D-Day, the waves were upto 6 ft and many tanks were swamped.

There's a stack of interesting reading out there just on this subject of the Sherman DD tank alone.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 01-13-15, 01:30 PM   #13
She-Wolf
Watchdog

ah, the devil is in the detail then. I did not know that - just felt dreadfully sad for the poor chaps stuck inside... thank you Sir. Ah Omaha, not Utah...