SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-18-16, 09:40 AM   #1
captcrane
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 184
Uploads: 0
Support Missing Screw Sound

Ahoy Guys. Took some time off for awhile and just reloaded the game. But I have run into a problem with the hydrophones. I get the compartment noise but when the hydrophone detection light comes on I can not hear the screws turning. I mostly play stock game and currently in an S-Boat. I installed Webster's GFO figuring that would solve it but no go. Still no screw sound. Also I looked around the download section But didn't see anything. Using the hydrophones is a relatively new thing for me so maybe early in the game this is normal? Thanks for any feedback it would be greatly appreciated.
captcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-16, 04:04 PM   #2
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I think I recall correctly, there are some ships in the game that don't have engine sounds.

what ship was it, and are you sure it wasnt a docked ship? I ask this because some docked ships have running engines (engine noise) and some dont
Old 01-18-16, 09:49 PM   #3
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

As Webster says, it could be a particular ship.

Also, sometimes ships moving slowly might not generate sound that you hear, though your crew could. You need to try a number of target ships to determine if it is a real problem or not.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-16, 08:28 AM   #4
captcrane
Electrician's Mate

The ships with no screw sounds were 4 destroyers, 1 large ocean liner, and even my own boat zero screw sound. I tried uninstalling then reinstalling with reboots in between. 1st I loaded the game with no mods then. No sound. Then I tried with Webster's GFO still no sound. I get the green contact light though. Thanks for your replys
Old 01-19-16, 08:36 PM   #5
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Well, I don't know what the problem is.

I presume you are listening after being submerged. The S-class hydrophones are mounted on the deck, so you must submerge to use them.

I would try a different class of sub, and see if any of them work.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-16, 06:59 AM   #6
captcrane
Electrician's Mate

Well I was really hoping it would be an early campaign thing. The only thing different in my installation is I got a great deal on Win 8 pro. I didn't give it a second thought since I have win 8 on a laptop and it runs sh4 fine. Guess I will first try rolling some drivers back then if that doesn't work back to 7. Thanks guys for your help.
Old 01-20-16, 01:11 PM   #7
captcrane
Electrician's Mate

If anyone else runs into this problem there is a solution. I had sound on my computer and thought everything was running fine. Listened to alot of music on my computer and not to mention youtube. My game appeared fine Could hear all the orders. sound effects ect. But no screw sound on the hydrophones tried reinstalling the game a few times same result. I do run sh4 fine on my laptop with win8.1 no troubles. There is something about going from Win 8 to 8.1 on certain systems. I found something on Microsofts website about sound "issues" not to specific but I followed these steps and shazamm and got my screw sound back. Go to Device Manager uninstall driver for IDT HD Audio and restart. that's how I got my screws on! Must be a 1st I got screwed by Microsoft. Again thanks guys for your input

Last edited by captcrane; 01-21-16 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01-20-16, 03:53 PM   #8
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

im not real sure about the s-boats sensor ability so perhaps its something with the s-boat having a hydrophone issue, but then it shouldn't just be certain ships??????????

since you like the s-boats you might want to try my s-boat mod? its about making them more realistic which also makes them fragile but its great white knuckle fun

also, when you uninstalled the game, did you manually open your drive and delete any remaining ubi files in it? often corrupted files are left behind, especially if you uninstall the game while mods are still installed so if you uninstall the game while mods are still installed you definitely left files behind that instantly recorrupt the new installation
Old 01-21-16, 11:28 AM   #9
captcrane
Electrician's Mate

Hey I loved your GFO Mod. So I will also load your S boat mod I really appreciate the work you put into this! I have only taken one career to the end of the war so far. I like to start out in the S-boat class it makes the bigger subs an awesome upgrade when you finally get one.
Old 01-24-16, 11:26 AM   #10
Majestik 909
Planesman

Downloads: 0

S-Boat!

My youngest son likes the war patrol "Hunt For Wounded Bear" in the S-18. Tough to deal with!
Majestik 909 is offline   Reply With Quote