SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-02-08, 05:09 AM   #91
skookum
Weps

Downloads: 35
Uploads: 0

I'm still eager for a good WW1 submarine experience. Though could UBI make it immersive enough to release as a stand-alone game? Who knows.
Old 10-02-08, 06:41 AM   #92
Seminole
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 102

Maybe they are gonna put all those unsold Silent Hunter 2 disks in a new box and try to sell them...

I'm still betting on my first hunch that we aren't going to see anything like a new code SHV by 1st quarter of 09.
Old 10-02-08, 06:54 AM   #93
The General
The Old Man

Downloads: 179
Uploads: 3

@BadaBoom

"Con? Sonar...CRAZY IVAN!"
Old 10-02-08, 07:02 AM   #94
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Perhaps all will be revealed at next weeks SS Meet

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-08, 07:48 AM   #95
Syxx_Killer
Admiral

Downloads: 21

What I wonder is, why are so many opposed to a fictional naval campaign when a lot of the modern flight sims have fictional campaigns? You don't see anyone who plays those type of games complain about that.
Syxx_Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-08, 08:00 AM   #96
badaboom
Weps

Downloads: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syxx_Killer
What I wonder is, why are so many opposed to a fictional naval campaign when a lot of the modern flight sims have fictional campaigns? You don't see anyone who plays those type of games complain about that.
Thank You!!!
Old 10-02-08, 08:29 AM   #97
Seminole
Ace of the Deep

I never complain because those that I own that have them are not stand alone games. They are tacked on to the WWII main feature. I avoid them like the plague. Yuck..nasty disgusting things... ..shiver.
Old 10-02-08, 08:49 AM   #98
Dogzero1
Mate

Downloads: 38

How about a modern subsim where you can pick your character? Fictional small scale wars and covert actions. You have to get your sub in to enemy controlled waters, deploy a seal team etc. Except this time you then click on the seal team leader and you are him in FPS mode aka Call of Duty 4. Do your covert action, plant your bombs, kill the bad guys and then get your men into the zodiac or frogsuits and get back to the sub. Become the captian again and clear your datum.

Sounds great to me.

Dogzero1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-08, 09:14 AM   #99
kylania
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syxx_Killer
That's a good question really. For me I guess it's the difference between the vehicles, plane vs sub. Anyone could get their hands on an F-16 which would justify these "fictional campaigns" I guess, but a VIIC U-boat was used by one faction in one war for example. The scale of the conflicts are also part of it. Most flight sims I've seen that do this are small scale affairs where you're attacking a small unknown country type thing. A sub sim would be best at a global scale, so the suspension of disbelief is harder to pull off. I can see being part of a campaign in a tiny little country I've never heard of, but dueling nuke subs off the South Carolina coast... not so much.

Maybe I'm just bitter that Harpoon IV never came out.

kylania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-08, 10:54 AM   #100
difool2
Commander

Downloads: 30

A post-WW2 sim would have to really get the sonar physics right (heck if there is a another WW2 sim I'd like to see the physics upgraded-just because nobody knew anything about convergence zones doesn't mean they didn't exist back then). Is the dev team for this series up to the challenge?
difool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-08, 10:56 AM   #101
SteamWake
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by difool2
A post-WW2 sim would have to really get the sonar physics right (heck if there is a another WW2 sim I'd like to see the physics upgraded-just because nobody knew anything about convergence zones doesn't mean they didn't exist back then). Is the dev team for this series up to the challenge?
They should consult with the sonalyst guys.
SteamWake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-08, 10:59 AM   #102
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

A non-historical campaign could be nice since the outcome isn't set in stone. What you do in the campaign could affect the outcome.

That said, it's the historical context that drew me to these games (SH series) in the first place. Just to bad you don't actually see too much historical events in-game unless you install some mods.

I say WWII era technology in a fictional conflict without a predetermined outcome. Could even be a repeat of the previous SH games, but with an outcome influenced by the player (although I don't see how the actions of 1 sub could influence that :hmm: ).

Why all new code? Cause the old stuff doesn't cut it anymore. They're not gonna get away with just a graphics overhaul again.

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-08, 01:47 PM   #103
Syxx_Killer
Admiral

Downloads: 21

I'm not talking about a fictional campaign with WWII equipment. I'm talking about one for Cold War era equipment like SSKs and SSNs. The main theme I see with posts opposing this kind of sim is that there is nothing historically to base it on. My counterpoint to that is that if the campaign is well thought out it would most certainly work. No one raises the issue with Sonalysts games or modern flight sim games. Every modern flight sim I have ever seen has a fictional campaign. Heck, NovaLogic's F-22 Lightning 3 even featured the B-61 Tactical Thermonuclear bomb!
Syxx_Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-08, 03:21 PM   #104
Seminole
Ace of the Deep

:hmm: ...if this isn't a gag, hoax, put-on, joke, trial baloon or whatever you want to name it...then why can't I preorder already ?....hmmmm?
Old 10-02-08, 03:25 PM   #105
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Because you're not part of the 'in' crowd. I've placed my order.:p