SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-06-08, 09:13 AM   #181
TDK1044
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 25
Uploads: 0

You gotta love this thread. Over 180 posts based on nothing but speculation and wishes. Only one poster here knows what's in development...and he ain't saying anything!

Here's a post of mine over at the Ubi Forum posted in the hope that the game isn't released until 2010:

Silent Hunter 5

The Romanian ship MS Buggymess leaves a harbor not yet mapped in the game. Ubi and subsim forum members from Countries all over the world must leave their unmapped ports, and rush at flank speed in a variety of unfinished vessels in order to try and sink the Buggymess.

Also out there somewhere is the Carrier Krazyfrenchman. Its role is to send you information, some of which is true and some of which is to fool you, to see how many ships actually manage to filter out the false messages and get to within firing range of the Buggymess.

Once a shot is actually fired at the Romanian ship, the game crashes and demands more development time from the Publisher.

The working title of the game is 'Dan's Daring Caper'. It should be with you shortly. If it doesn't work out, look out for the board game.
TDK1044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-08, 09:49 AM   #182
danlisa
Navy Seal

Downloads: 45
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins
But no, they see no difference between us and players of Ratchet and Clank.
Catchit & Spank rule!!! :rotfl:

A hugely realistic & IMHO true to life representation of a little known animal called a Lombax and his back riding tin bolt friend. I regularly play the Sim that is TOD/Quest for Booty.

Money greases the cogs that turns our wheels. It'll never change, such is business. Needless to say, I eagerly await any & all info regarding SH5 (or other) and hope for a radical departure from previous ventures.
Old 10-06-08, 10:01 AM   #183
elanaiba
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDK1044
The working title of the game is 'Dan's Daring Caper'. It should be with you shortly. If it doesn't work out, look out for the board game.
Haha, that was really funny

elanaiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-08, 10:15 AM   #184
difool2
Commander

Downloads: 30

After some thought during the weekend their best bet is a multiplatform sim set in the Atlantic during WW2, with a lot of emphasis on multiplayer (tho not all) and strategic and operational emphasis. SH4 is already being modded in this direction anyway, but without the SDK there's going to be a lot of non-functionality in the various surface ship mods modders are working on. The devs can't help but notice all the excitement here whenever a new playable ship is released, and I certainly have had fun in my Schnellboot and battleships, despite some wonky features. But if they go that route no way it will be ready by early '09.
difool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-08, 10:23 AM   #185
badaboom
Weps

Downloads: 46

I thought I read somewhere awhile back that thier was going to be "A SPECIAL PREVIEW"of a sub sim at this weeks subsim gathering in Houston?but for the life of me I can't find any info now! Does anyone else remember reading this info?
Old 10-06-08, 11:00 AM   #186
Daddy Dragon
Nub

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by The General
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve
Now, if you could offer me a decent job...
How 'bout Vice President? Sarah Palin thinks there were dinosaurs on the planet 4000 years ago and she could get her hands on the nuclear codes . PLEASE AMERICA, VOTE FOR SOMEBODY DECENT THIS TIME!!
Well, some 10,000 species of "dinosaur" (i.e. birds) are still alive today, so there were probably at least a few 4,000 years ago.

Regarding the topic at hand, I'd like to see an early cold war sub sim.
Daddy Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-08, 11:19 AM   #187
Adriatico
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlisa
SH4 is still wet behind the ears and already SH5 is being dreamed up.

Whatever theatre or medium is used in this latest incarnation just please make it unique! That's all I ask. I'll be honest and say that you have beaten the WWII era to death. Move on please.
I beleive 100% that you are fed-up with previous events... but :

- you are veteran member of GWX dev. team
- one of the first SH3 artists
- with 4.478 posts and x00 sleepless nights
- native english speaker
- ...etc

My point is... the average SHx player's brain could not be as "saturated" as you are with Atlantic WWII structure...

I bet that 60-70% world players ...dream about Kriegsmarine in DirectX 10.xx movie visuals and gameply...

Fine example is Oleg Madox with Il2, FB, Ace exp, PF, ...etc ...and eagerly awaited Battle of Britain:SoW
( in a sport's terms: don't change the winning team )

Last edited by Adriatico; 10-06-08 at 11:45 AM.
Adriatico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-08, 02:28 PM   #188
tomoose
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 23
Default Never believe a rumour....

....unless you start it yourself!
tomoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-08, 02:48 PM   #189
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by badaboom
I thought I read somewhere awhile back that thier was going to be "A SPECIAL PREVIEW"of a sub sim at this weeks subsim gathering in Houston?but for the life of me I can't find any info now! Does anyone else remember reading this info?
Yes....the information is still out there embedded in the middle of a certain post (if you can find it).

So we await possible confirmation of the next WWII sim from Ubi at the Meet next week.

The only question/wish I have is for it to cover both ATO and PTO theatres and allow the player to choose which side they want to play

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-08, 04:31 PM   #190
Pathfinder
Swabbie

Downloads: 14
I'd love to see a Silent Hunter V sim that revolved around the Royal Navy Subs of WWII - With the possibility of an alternative career in the Japanese Navy as a submariner
Pathfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-08, 04:36 PM   #191
greyfish
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 19
Modern Day Sub Sim

I would really like to see a modern day sub sim with all the graphics and reality of silent hunter 4 with everthing that is going on all around the world today it would be great to have a modern sub sim.
greyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-08, 05:07 PM   #192
badaboom
Weps

Downloads: 46

Hello Greyfish!!! Good to have you aboard Skipper,and Welcome!!!!
Old 10-06-08, 05:54 PM   #193
Zachstar
Sea Lord

Downloads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyfish
I would really like to see a modern day sub sim with all the graphics and reality of silent hunter 4 with everthing that is going on all around the world today it would be great to have a modern sub sim.
A Kilo simulation alone will be well worth the price of admission.

The kilo is designed to get big results and effects on the cheap. If you look at the model in Dangerous Waters you will note how it is so much more like Silent Hunter than a 688.

The difficult part of making a modern subsim is modeling the advanced systems for the player to interact with. If you limited it to one class then even a moderate code change can give you enough to simulate Kilo warfare.

Also there is PLENTY of ways an "Alternate Universe" could have used a Kilo.

Zachstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-08, 06:00 PM   #194
Zachstar
Sea Lord

Downloads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by difool2
After some thought during the weekend their best bet is a multiplatform sim set in the Atlantic during WW2, with a lot of emphasis on multiplayer (tho not all) and strategic and operational emphasis. SH4 is already being modded in this direction anyway, but without the SDK there's going to be a lot of non-functionality in the various surface ship mods modders are working on. The devs can't help but notice all the excitement here whenever a new playable ship is released, and I certainly have had fun in my Schnellboot and battleships, despite some wonky features. But if they go that route no way it will be ready by early '09.
This is a point when a company needs to start thinking about a branch.

Silent Hunter needs to remain a Subsim. The elements in SH4 are about the limit in my view.

If we are to start talking about being able to use (Ships, Subs, Planes, whatever) in a WW2 era while being realistic. We are going to need a big effort that is outside normal Silent Hunter operations.

We are rapidly moving towards this point. With PS4 and XBOX 720 or whatever within a year or so of their announcements. Gamers are expecting more than ever from their games. Being able to bring your buddies into a CoD game is not going to cut it anymore. They are going to want their buddies in the tank or the aircraft or the ship laying down the hurt on the enemy.

So I think this is a topic outside the scope of SH5 and more of a question of future gaming industry.

Zachstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-08, 06:19 PM   #195
Lexandro
Navy Dude

Downloads: 100

As a new blood to the SH franchise I dont carry any baggage about previous incarnations of the game. I only play Sh4 with Uboat pack and I must admit it is a great game, one that I thoroughly enjoy. Im not new to the genre though as I was a skipper back in the Destroyer Command days.

That said I do believe another WW2 game is entirely feesable and would still go down a treat with new and old fans alike. But imo for it to stand out againts the others in the series I would personally make it a proper world war 2 game. That is to say allow the played to be a skipper for any of the major forces in WW2 (GB/US/Rus/Ita/Ger/Jap). Thats a tall order when you think on it with the boats and different career tracks. But if limited to one single country it would HAVE to be a bloody amazing game to be popular imo. Making it divergeant with different career tracks would open a whole new aspect to gameplay.

Like what if you start as a GB skipper and get "assigned" to US or Aus commands, like an exchange officer as happened many times in the war. Same can be done on the flip side, say start as U-boat skipper and get asked to take an Italian boat in the med.

In essence what Im getting at is a much wider theatre or operations. The game engine in SH4 has practically the whole world in it. Taking this up a notch and making world wide sailing possible would be at the forefront of my thinking for SH5. Squash the bugs that keep recurring in each title (like dodgey wave effects/savegame corruption) beef up area of operations, and rework the render with a bit of high end DX9 tech and make the weather more impressive (like 60foot waves) and your looking at a potential top 10 game easily.
Lexandro is offline   Reply With Quote