SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-27-18, 08:52 PM   #1
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Downloads: 81
Uploads: 0
Default Jack Ryan

Amazon recently released a new series based on Tom Clancy's series of books. It takes the main character from the books, Jack Ryan, and places him back about 1/3 the way into his career. I mention this in a new thread, as a good number of us are fans of the books, and have been disappointed of late by the portrayals of the characters and plots.

Trailer:

Quick review:
This should be a spoiler free review, but does include some things you'll need to appreciate the series.

I really did enjoy this series. Once I realized the characters were the same in Name and Spirit only, I really enjoyed it.

Ryan is pretty true to the books' character. He's an analyst for the CIA at this point, early/mid 30's, doctorate of Economics (not History, and that may be the biggest change in the character), ex-marine who did hurt himself in a chopper crash. And Krasinsky does a pretty good job of portaying how Clancy actually wrote the character. My biggest pet peeve is when he doesn't flinch at all at an unexpected helicopter ride.

The rest of the characters are true in name only. The character that would be John Clark, isn't even Clark (I don't think, that might be part of the shtick though). Greer is far from the one played by James Earl Jones. Once you get by that fact, you can appreciate what Pierce is bringing to the performance.

The plot is very deserving of the Clancy name. Elements of "The Sum of All Fears" and "Executive Orders" do shine through at times, but the story is it's own. It does become somewhat unrealistic about the willingness of the CIA to deploy an analyst to the field, but that is what made the Clancy stories great. I just think this series missed on the serendipitous elements of those deployments. But aside from that, it pretty much holds up.

All in all, I'd have to give it 8/10. The end of the series is clearly left open for future seasons, and I do look forward to those if they occur.

Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-18, 03:22 AM   #2
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

We enjoyed all the movies... watched "Shadow Recruit" last weekend and thought what a great choice Chris Pine would've been for Jason Bourne as well (I also love all the Tom Clancy PC games)

But we don't have a TV or good internet, so we'll wait it out for the boxed set and binge-watch it
Old 10-28-18, 07:00 AM   #3
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Pretty much agree with your assessment but nothing compares with the books and I now regret passing them on because I could probably read them again in a couple of years time.

I really missed James Earl Jones.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-18, 03:47 PM   #4
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

I was never a big Tom Clancy fan. but one character I would like to see a series about would be Clark.
Old 10-28-18, 04:45 PM   #5
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Downloads: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichhörnchen View Post
We enjoyed all the movies... watched "Shadow Recruit" last weekend and thought what a great choice Chris Pine would've been for Jason Bourne as well (I also love all the Tom Clancy PC games)

But we don't have a TV or good internet, so we'll wait it out for the boxed set and binge-watch it

I haven't seen that one, but some of the later movies have been an insult to the books. At least the earlier movies stayed pretty true to books, while the later ones kept just enough to be infuriating. This series is pretty much an alternate reality, where the names are the same, but played differently.

And I wouldn't hold your breath for a box set, it's on Amazon Prime, I've never heard of those going to physical media.

Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-18, 07:42 AM   #6
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Tom Clancy was great at writing " Techno Thrillers. " I did read most of his books and the character of Jack Ryan provided the most room for development. Clark and Chavez also left a lot of room for develoment as well. This was probably what Tom Clancy had in mind.

Stephen Coonts is another writer of a similar writing style or genre as that of Clancy. Coonts wrote " Flight of The Intruder. " Coonts was himself was a aviator in the U.S Navy and flew the A-6 Intruder so he knew the background on the aircraft and Navy. Stephen wrote other books as well. Give them a try.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Coonts
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-18, 09:39 PM   #7
Falkirion
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 34

I enjoyed it too. Hard to reconcile this version of the characters with Clancy's but did manage it eventually. Ended up loving the series and really hope to see at least one more before it gets canned as good shows do eventually.

Wish it had a longer episode run though. I saw the final plot by episode 4. But that's probably me reading too much Clancy so the writers can't keep the twist under wraps.
Falkirion is offline   Reply With Quote