SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-21-17, 12:18 PM   #1
Doolar
Expert Shipsinker

Downloads: 360
Uploads: 0
Default Game Time & Sunrise/Sunset Issue

I'm pretty sure this had been covered before but I couldn't fine it. I'm now off the east coast of Florida and its late January and I'm thinking that the sunrises and sunsets are off a bit. Sunrise at 11am and sunsets at 11pm. I remember reading something here about this and how to bring these things more inline with realistic times. I realize that the game adjust for seasons and latitudes, but I've never been this far south before. Is this normal ? If so then OK, if not any ideas on fixing this issue ?
Doolar is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-17, 02:10 PM   #2
FUBAR295
Krusty Krab

Downloads: 442

Are you looking at the ship time which is set to German time zone as opposed to local Florida time. You would have a 5 or 6 hour difference.

From Uboat Archieve from the KTB section:

"As a result of maintaining the ship's clocks and KTB in German Legal Time, sunrise and sunset became more and more offset from normal experience as the boat moved further east or west from base. For example, off the east coast of the US in the winter months, the sun might rise at 14:00 and set at 24:00 according to the ship's clocks.

FUBAR295 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-17, 03:04 PM   #3
Doolar
Expert Shipsinker

Aww-man ... darn I didn't even think of that, that's it ... thanx. My wife says that sometimes I can't see the forest because there are too many trees in the way ... LOL
Old 01-21-17, 05:49 PM   #4
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

SH3 is the only game in the series that lets you check local time. Hover the cursor over the time on the GUI, and it will tell you what time it is where you are. They removed that function from the other, and I've always wondered why.
Old 01-29-17, 01:56 PM   #5
UKönig
Captain

Downloads: 1

Yeah, sounds like a discrepancy between German time and local time. I have noticed, especially since keeping a pen and paper captain's log, that the sunrise and sunset times do change appropriately with the season and latitude. I used to be put off by it, but I really do think they got it right...
Old 01-29-17, 08:07 PM   #6
Doolar
Expert Shipsinker

Same here, I keep a paper log and was thinking too hard, on what was the mess up (I have a large mods list) that I completely forgot about the German time/local time thing. Glad you guys didn't beat me up over a stupid question. Like I said in an earlier post, that I've never traveled that far west. I might be in the lead for the "Dumb Question of the Year Award 2017" LOL ... Bartender, a round of beer for all !!!