SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-18-17, 06:42 AM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Icon7 Sinning in luxury

After I already had migrated all non-gaming activity to notebook and Linux longer time ago, my remainign W7-gaming rig
this year had reached a state where it needed to be replaced. I prepared this for severla months, by getting information,
and waiting for new hardware released. Yesterday was the day. The Black Force is upon me.

In the past twenty years, I always bought 1 or 2 generations behind the latest technical status, especially when replacing
the GPUs. You still get good bang for the buck, and save a lot of money. This time however I went "all in". I want to try out
VR, and if you want to avoid certain compromises that could seriously hamper the experience, you need a beefy platform.

And it cannot get any beefier currently in the segment of so-called enthusiasts' CPUs, than with this:

i7 8700K (6x3.7 MHz), Asus ROG Strix Z370-F, 16 GB RAM 3000, Asus Strix GTX-1080TI OC (388.31), SSD Samsung
960 Evo 250 GB, HD WD Black 2TB, PSU BeQuiet! Dark Power P11 750W, CPU fan Noctua NH-D 15S, monitor
1920x1080, Fanatec CSL Elite for PS4&PC, Fanatec CSP v3, Oculus Rift, CH Fightersick, CH ProThrottle, TrackIR 5.x

The thing is in idle and normal Windows activities and during setting up not noisier, even a bot more silent , than my
current system, i5/2500, GTX660. Considering that it has so much more power and speed and so many more ventilators,
that is remarkable, but I used stelathed components and chassis (BeQuiet! Silent Base 800 Black-Orange). Two rotors on
front, one on the rear. Options for having one more at the bottom beside the PSU, and two more in the roof, two more on
both sides. Lets see in how far I need that. With the GPU going on duty, its three rotors make themselves heard, but it is
acceotable, and I use headphones anyw ay. When messing with desktop things and Windows, these all come to a
standstill. The beatstcurrently defragmentates the HD, and I sit 6 meters away - and can almost not hear it.

I am still in the process of setting it up and tuning things, then comes games installation. Windows 10 Pro over here, and
yes, it is the expected enemy, and it is ugly as hell, but that was clear. I try my best to make Microsoft's life as miserable
as possible, with help of these three to-do-lists, amongst other inputs:

https://www.computerworld.com/articl...te.html#slide1

https://www.infoworld.com/article/31...s-10-less.html

https://www.computerworld.com/articl...10.html#slide1

Since this rig is only a game console and VR platform, not much of my privacy can be at risk anyway, as often said, I
strictly separate gaming and any other computer acitvity by using two physically unconnected systems.

I hope to have my first gaming experience later today, in the evening. VR hopefully tomorrow.

This was sinning in luxury, and not the cheapest. For once in a life...

My last system held together since late 2010. Lets see how far this one will carry me. More performance in coming
years I cannot expect to need, I wonder about the technical durability, however.

Last edited by Skybird; 11-18-17 at 06:55 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote