SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-28-07, 07:21 AM   #31
Kontrollturm
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

When i try to run game shadow he says:

Unable to create an instance of gmsSchema.data

I wanna play SH3!!!!!!!!!!
Kontrollturm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-07, 10:25 AM   #32
Tobus
Lieutenant

Downloads: 13

So basically, Starforce AGAIN gives gamers the shaft under the cloak of copy-security?
Tobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-07, 12:27 AM   #33
airwolf48453
Helmsman

Downloads: 201
Default SHIII and Vista

I just installed vista on my computer and i never had to uninstall a thing except Norton Security cause it needed the vista upgrade. All I had to do was goto Nvidia to upgrade my video card to vista and also run the sfdvrupdate. It running like a champ.
A Point Of Great Significance...Is The Keen Sensitivity Of The Wolf To The Condition Of It's Prey. In Judging What He Can Handle And What Should Prudently Be Left Alone, The Wolf Brings To His Daily Work Sophisticated Skills Completely Beyond Our Human Keen. These Are Made Possible By Inborn Capacities Effectively Tuned And Developed In The Young Wolf Through An Apprenticeship That Only The Capable Survive.
airwolf48453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-07, 07:08 AM   #34
Lzs von swe
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 66

This is how I installed on Vista.
Install Sh3
Patch to 1.4
Make a copy of the Silent Hunter III folder for easier restore.
Install GWX
Install GWX1.02
Run JSGME to install the GWX options you want
Update StarForce
Start Sh3 once, I started an career, went out 50km and returned to port.
Install Sh3Commander 2.7
Install GWX102Cfg4SH3Cmdr
Run SH3Cmdr, pick your settings and go...
Old 03-06-07, 03:53 PM   #35
Kontrollturm
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lzs von swe
This is how I installed on Vista.
Install Sh3
Patch to 1.4
Make a copy of the Silent Hunter III folder for easier restore.
Install GWX
Install GWX1.02
Run JSGME to install the GWX options you want
Update StarForce
Start Sh3 once, I started an career, went out 50km and returned to port.
Install Sh3Commander 2.7
Install GWX102Cfg4SH3Cmdr
Run SH3Cmdr, pick your settings and go...
4 32bit or 64?
Old 03-06-07, 06:28 PM   #36
Lzs von swe
Ace of the Deep

@ Kontrollturm, I have Vista Home Premium 32 bit.
Old 03-06-07, 08:09 PM   #37
Roads88
Sparky

hmmm.... I wonder would it even run at 64bit.:hmm:
Old 03-07-07, 01:59 PM   #38
Lzs von swe
Ace of the Deep

@ Kontrollturm and others having probs installing-updating star force. Do you have the UAC (user account control ) running? I had it on and got some warning about star force drivers not being Vista ready, and had the choice to continue or abort.
It seems that you can get into problems if you kill the UAC when you get tired of it asking you if you started this or that app, if so you can click continue
I tried to install Adobe Reader 8.0 with UAC off and got an error stating that the temp folder was either on an disk that was full or on an disk I could not access and that I should check if the disk was write protected, hu:hmm: I than found on Adobe that I should turn on the pesky UAC again and yes, then the install went ok.
Just a thought.....
Old 03-07-07, 02:43 PM   #39
Kontrollturm
Swabbie

in my point of view doesnt sh3 install the starforce driver ( 64bit -.- ) and so i cant update them. But i can use an nocd. But he crash after the first loading after the intro. So i wait 4 sh4
Old 03-08-07, 12:12 AM   #40
NECyclone
Swabbie

Downloads: 22
Default Starforce.......

It's my understanding that Starforce doesn't load up until you run the game for the 1st time.... So you might have to install SH3...run it once to get the Starforce to install...and then back out of the program and do an update to Starforce.

Good Luck and Good Hunting
NECyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-07, 06:32 PM   #41
NITZ69
Swabbie

Downloads: 1

Hello all,

I was able to install and run the basic game -no mods & no patches- I was also able to update S/F & gameshadow. Game worked very well, the problem I'm having is trying to install patch 1,4 at the end of the installation many items are saying 'permision denied' of removing some items, but it says it's been istalled. Then when I try to install GWX it tells me that I need to install patch 1,4...???? but I just did So I d/l patch 1,3 and it installs fine and the game works. I think - strange - I'll just take some notes as to witch files 1,4 can't remove and delete them myself, but I can't find them and neither can vista! Oh, and if I had $50 for every time I uninstalled and reinstalled the game I could have payed for this new computer - AGAIN. As always, if anyone's got and idea as to what I am to do I'd be most greatful. Thanks folks.

Kevin
NITZ69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-07, 06:55 AM   #42
Pdubya
Seaman

Downloads: 27
Default Best to hold off on 64-bit fellas...

Everything I am hearing from Anandtech, Tom's Hardware, etc., etc. says to avoid installing the 64-bit version of Vista- for now at least. Reason? Lack of mature 64-bit drivers for all those peripherals in your machine. Besides, they all agree that other than impressing someone by saying you are running Vista 64, there is little or nothing to be gained (again, for now) by doing it.
So do yourself a BIG favor and stick to Vista 32 until the market matures enough to warrant moving to a 64-bit world (and that will be a ways off...).
pw
Pdubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-07, 11:23 AM   #43
Lzs von swe
Ace of the Deep

@NITZ69.
Are you running the 1.4 patch as admin? Right click the .exe and check under attributes (I have a Swedish OS so I´m not sure about the English word for "egenskaper" ) that you do.
Do you have the UAC on or off? Check in Controlpanel\Useracounts, you can activate or deactivate it from there. Be sure to leave it on when installing.
Old 03-11-07, 02:52 PM   #44
Seapup
Watch

Downloads: 71
Default A BIG thanks for GWX and Vista help! & a small question

I've gone through all the Silent Hunter versions and have been a big fan of this forum. Unfortunately my expensive multimedia laptop graphics card didn't support SH3 so I had to be content with playing Pacific Aces and put SH3 on the shelf. Last month I bought a new desktop and was able to finally use SH3 with all its updates, GWX, AND Vista thanks to the information supplied here. I'm in heaven (repeatedly thanks to rusty destroyer evasion skills) and couldn't be happier. The only thing that's odd is that the watch crew seem to all be missing their binoculars when on the surface. I seem to recall something about this as a bug when the game first came out but I can't find any mention of it. Are they supposed to be out of uniform or did the supply officer screw up?
Seapup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-07, 04:45 AM   #45
Kumando
Commodore

Downloads: 283

I have a different problem on Vista, i can update to 1.4 with no problem than i start the game, the main GWX menu shows and when the bar gets to the end the game crashes to desktop. Any ideas?
Kumando is offline   Reply With Quote