SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-24-15, 11:32 AM   #1
HertogJan
Weps

Downloads: 137
Uploads: 0
On to the next problem

I used to be able to play with the 3000 yard or meter bearing tool in conjunction with 1.5_Optical Targeting Correction 031312 for TMO 2.5 with aspect ratio optional mod but since last two fresh installs (last time was 2 day's ago... and I know how to do a fresh install...) the game crashes on initializing, after loading screen.
The 3000yrd/ meter mod works without OTC just fine with every other mod installed

This is the Mod setup I use (want to use) now:
A.1_ TriggerMaru_Overhaul_2-5
A.2_ TMO_25_small_patch
A.3_ IJN_Rad_Fix_for_TMO2_betaupdate
B.0_ ISP TMO >>>>>> To be installed when updated
C.0_ 1.5_Optical Targeting Correction 031312 for TMO 2.5
C.1_ 1.5_OTC for 16 to 9 Aspect Ratio_TMO
C.2_ 1.5_OTC_Metric Tools
D.0_ Improved Stock Environment_v3_TMO&RFB
D.2_ Better Sand
D.3_ Compass Mod
E.0_ LST_TMO_v2
E.1_ TDW_Ship_Plane_Fire_Damage_v1_3_SH4
E.2_ TheDarkWraith_DC_Water_Disturbance_v2_0_SH4
F.0_ Nav Map Make-Over v2.1
F.1_ NMMO Airbase Add-on
F.2_ NMMO v2.1 Patch 1 with AB
G.0_ Bigger Better Protractors
G.1_ Webster's Missing Voices
G.2_ Webster's Better Air Patrols
G.3_ Magnified Hud Dials for v1.5_Medium
G.4_ 3000 Meter Bearing Tool (1920x)>>>>>>>> Not installed atm cause it crashes the game
G.5_ My own Clock Mod

I can't figure out why it doesn't work, there's a log report in the Event viewer and hope someone may be able to help me with it:

Log Name: Application
Source: Application Error
Date: 23-2-2015 22:14:10
Event ID: 1000
Task Category: (100)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: XXXXXXX
Computer: XXXXXXXXXXX
Description:
Faulting application name: sh4.exe, version: 1.5.0.0, time stamp: 0x476a5ca9
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18247, time stamp: 0x521ea8e7
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0003307f
Faulting process id: 0xe20
Faulting application start time: 0x01d04fad814714b6
Faulting application path: D:\Games\Silent Hunter 4\sh4.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll
Report Id: e80e5822-bba0-11e4-8afe-f07bcbd46e04
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Application Error" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>100</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-02-23T21:14:10.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>5438</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>GEBRUIK-42CFODB</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>sh4.exe</Data>
<Data>1.5.0.0</Data>
<Data>476a5ca9</Data>
<Data>ntdll.dll</Data>
<Data>6.1.7601.18247</Data>
<Data>521ea8e7</Data>
<Data>c0000005</Data>
<Data>0003307f</Data>
<Data>e20</Data>
<Data>01d04fad814714b6</Data>
<Data>D:\Games\Silent Hunter 4\sh4.exe</Data>
<Data>C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll</Data>
<Data>e80e5822-bba0-11e4-8afe-f07bcbd46e04</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>
HertogJan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-15, 01:39 PM   #2
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

you sure you still have directX installed? windows wont go back and install old versions unless you tell it to so if you only installed dx9 through the game install then uninstalling the game removes it as well.

beyond that guess, are you using an old save? if you reloaded the game old saves will usually not work and cause CTD issues but it doesn't sound like your game is even loading so I doubt you got to the point of using a saved game.

did you remember to go into the computer files and manually delete any leftover files there? I bet there was something leftover from a mod that wasn't uninstalled before you uninstalled the game.

mods have to be uninstalled before you uninstall the game or it leaves all the mod files behind and they will corrupt your new install
Old 02-24-15, 03:02 PM   #3
HertogJan
Weps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster View Post
you sure you still have directX installed? windows wont go back and install old versions unless you tell it to so if you only installed dx9 through the game install then uninstalling the game removes it as well.
Yup, I even forgot to remove Game Shadow this time, normally I un-check gameshadow and Adobe 6.0.1 (if I remember correctly) rest I leave as is.

Quote:
beyond that guess, are you using an old save? if you reloaded the game old saves will usually not work and cause CTD issues but it doesn't sound like your game is even loading so I doubt you got to the point of using a saved game.
I did replace the SH4 folder with the one I had but it was in vain, same Mod setup as before but didn't work, was such a good career start too .
I'll delete the Sh4 folder and start over ( weird I haven't thought of that).

Quote:
did you remember to go into the computer files and manually delete any leftover files there? I bet there was something leftover from a mod that wasn't uninstalled before you uninstalled the game.
Yup, removed everything prior, did a defrag before and after full installation too.

Quote:
mods have to be uninstalled before you uninstall the game or it leaves all the mod files behind and they will corrupt your new install
Indeed, thing is... as I was messing with the periscope, putting a test mod in, I saw I forgot the 3000yrds B. tool (used imperial settings then) and really messed it up bad so I uninstalled the test mod and installed the 3000yrds B.T. mod but it didn't work either.. got a full white screen with a partial depth gauge at the bottom right corner .
That's when I decided to re-install the game under a new name (was D:\Games\was Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific, now its D:\Games\Silent Hunter 4).

Lucky for me, messing with the clock took some time and I haven't started a career yet... I might as well un-install the game again, delete everything from every folder and do a manual registry clean, defrag HDD and registry and start over. That way at least, I'll know I got a crisp installation .

I'll be back after I done this.
Old 02-24-15, 03:26 PM   #4
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

yep, it sucks when you make silly mistakes you know you shouldn't make

hopefully the next career will start off with some nice tonnage scores
Old 02-24-15, 07:15 PM   #5
HertogJan
Weps

Couldn't resist and went on with it,

Done a complete un-install of the game, checked remnants of folders (documents and install location), cleaned registry by hand, defraged HDD and registry, rebooted, installed the game and patched to 1.4
defraged the HDD (9% fragmentation ), run the game and set my graphics, sound and whatnots (didn't forget to set metric), installed U-boat mission addon, rebooted, defraged HDD (2% fragmentation )
made game LAA, run the game vanilla.

_ Installed JSGME in game root dir. and run once, created mod folder, run a snapshot prior to any Mod installation, loaded first 3 mods of list above, installed Mods via JSGME, worked fine.
_ Added next three on from that list, installed, worked fine (note to self, keep forgetting: need to ask Scruvy a question bout cable running the deck bow to stern).
_ For testing I when and installed for last Mod (3000 meter B. T), game crash! (same as before, right after loading, black screen waiting for screens to show, CTD).
_ Un-installed 3000m B.T. and OTC metric, installed 3000yrds B.T., game starts but white screen all over only message box is visible (all sounds working tho).
_ Uninstalled OTC main, OTC 19:6, installed 3000m B.T., game crashed.
_ Uninstalled 3000m B.T., installed 3000yrds B.T., checked Nav. map and attack map it was there, game run fine, crashed on exiting

After some 4 hours (didn't take that long, watched some Football on tele.) I'm right where I was.. 'cept with a lot of sleep deprivation.

Testing/ checking tomorrow:
_new downloads of 3000yrds 1920x-and 3000m B.T. 1920x (maybe gone bad )
_compare OTC folder with fresh un-ziped version via Winmerg, maybe menu_1024_768.ini fouled up.

good night!
Old 02-25-15, 08:46 AM   #6
HertogJan
Weps

Mod install for testing:
A.2_ TMO_25_small_patch
C.1_ 1.5_OTC for 16 to 9 Aspect Ratio_TMO
G.4_ 3000 Meter Bearing Tool (1920x)

Mod's I swapped in and out:
A.2_ TMO_25_small_patch
3000 Yards Bearing Tool >>>> for testing

Ok,
I started off by checking the OTC/menu 1024_768_ini and found I made a couple of errors (7 in all) which I corrected using a fresh un-ziped version.
Tested and crashed as before.

Second trial, renewed OTC main, OTC 16:9, OTC metric, 3000meter B.T.
Same problems as mentioned above post occurred, run it twice, in Sub school it crashed immediately and in single mission only when I wanted to open the Nav. Map and attack map.

Third trial, took out 3000m B.T. and OTC metric, placed 3000yrds B.T. in and changed to Imperial. (forgot that once and game didn't like that at all )
Game runs fine in single mission but not in Sub School

Fourth trial, took out TMO, TMO Small patch and IJN Rad. Fix, reinstall OTC's with OTC metric, set metric in options.
Game crashed, didn't expect it to work tho, I tested the game with all A's installed and 3000m B.T. and it worked fine.

Conclusion:
OTC, OTC 16:9, OTC metric and 3000m B.T. do not work together on my system, why... I have no idea .
If someone has OTC mods and 3000m B.T. tool working plz tell me, there's, at this point nothing I can think of which could be causing this and more importantly correct it.

(Just though of this) maybe the 8:5 aspect ratio will work, I doubt it tho.

I'll add findings here:
This is getting weirder by the minute, tried a single mission and it works altho the tool is slightly oval, however, the game still crashes in Sub School.

Game works (single mission) with:
A.2_ TMO_25_small_patch
1.5_OTC for 8 to 5 Aspect Ratio_TMO>>>>>> used this one
3000 meter Bearing Tool (1680x)

Last edited by HertogJan; 02-25-15 at 09:12 AM. Reason: extra findings
Old 02-25-15, 10:43 AM   #7
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

HertogJan, I'll be looking into your problem today.......need to do some stuff outside while weather is good (we might get to 25f degrees today!!).

I don't see where you have checked your main game files for corruption through JSGME using the "Compare Snapshot" feature? Of course, you needed to have taken a "SnapShot" of your original game files just after installing your game, and adding JSGME. No mods added to the game, or started with a mod, before taking the original game file "Snapshot". You need pristine clean game files to have a "SnapShot" kept for future comparison.

You state you've loaded the LAA program. Is it working? What is your computer specs? How much RAM memory do you have? 32 bit, or 64 bit OS? Which OS? Laptop, or Desktop? What's your game resolution? What's the native computer resolution of Windows?

What's the version of the game you start out with? You say you "installed U-Boat missions addon" would indicate you don't have a Gold Edition of the game. You aren't running a Steam version of the game are you?!

Sorry for the "hundred question" routine, but when you can't get something to work, where most of the rest of us can.......there's a reason usually on your end because of it.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-15, 11:52 AM   #8
HertogJan
Weps

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
HertogJan, I'll be looking into your problem today.......need to do some stuff outside while weather is good (we might get to 25f degrees today!!).
Hope you have enough wood for the fire place.

Quote:
I don't see where you have checked your main game files for corruption through JSGME using the "Compare Snapshot" feature? Of course, you needed to have taken a "SnapShot" of your original game files just after installing your game, and adding JSGME. No mods added to the game, or started with a mod, before taking the original game file "Snapshot". You need pristine clean game files to have a "SnapShot" kept for future comparison.
I see now I typed "run a snapshot prior to any Mod installation".
Meant to say "created a snapshot prior of installing any mods" (was a wee bit tired).

It is a pristine install of the game. what I did and how is written at the beginning of post #5.

Quote:
You state you've loaded the LAA program. Is it working? What is your computer specs? How much RAM memory do you have? 32 bit, or 64 bit OS? Which OS? Laptop, or Desktop? What's your game resolution? What's the native computer resolution of Windows?
For me its abc and do forget to add those things sometimes.

Spec's:
Sony Vaio laptop
CPU: i5 dual core 2.40Ghz
RAM: 8GG
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GT 330M
HDD: 500GG (partitioned 102GG C: OS and main stuff /\ 365GG D: Programs and Games).
Res: 1920x1080 (native Resolution= game resolution)

I checked if the game addressed more than 2GG via AVG tuneup and saw 3.11GG so I guess it does.

Quote:
What's the version of the game you start out with? You say you "installed U-Boat missions addon" would indicate you don't have a Gold Edition of the game. You aren't running a Steam version of the game are you?!
Nope no steam, I have v1.1, patch it to 1.4 and run it, then patched to 1.5. No particularly reason as to why I do that in that way tho, done it like that since I got the game from a friend who didn't want to play it anymore.

Quote:
Sorry for the "hundred question" routine, but when you can't get something to work, where most of the rest of us can.......there's a reason usually on your end because of it.
NP.... best be accurate and thorough, do it myself but forget easy stuff sometimes.
And yes... it could be but i'm at a loss as to where to look.

Oh and I tested everything with a Porpoise and Gato class sub, have a question bout Porpoise later, cable running the sub bow to stern isn't aligned with the 'grabs' at the conning tower.
Old 02-25-15, 12:12 PM   #9
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Ok, let's start here.

Since you've got a good Snapshot of your clean game files.....remove all mods from "Activation", then have JSGME "Compare SnapShot" with what you have now.

It will take several minutes to finish running through all game files......what does the below left corner state about your game file comparison?

Just a note about adding/removing mods from "Activation" within JSGME. I hope you know to always remove the last mod in the "Activation" order before removing the next mod, etc. etc. "The last mod in.....first mod out" is the way to remove mods from the game. Even if the mod to remove is second in line, in a long list of 15 "Activated" mods. You need to remove all 13 "post added" mods....in their listed order....before getting to the number 2 mod you wish to remove.

Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 02-25-15 at 12:25 PM.
Old 02-25-15, 12:55 PM   #10
HertogJan
Weps

No worries there, I always remove last first even if it doesn't conflict with any other Mod.

Snapshot reversed lines:
Comparing files as at 25-2-2015 18:48:19 to snapshot taken at 24-2-2015 23:39:58.
D:\Games\Silent Hunter IV\

Data\Textures\TNormal\tex\German.dds REMOVED
Data\Textures\TNormal\tex\German_m.dds REMOVED
anim.act SAME
BezierWaypoint.act SAME
binkw32.dll SAME
CameraBehavior.act SAME
CameraManager.act SAME
Data\ SAME
Data\Agora\ SAME
Data\Agora\AgoraClan_en-US.xml SAME
Data\Agora\AgoraConfigWin32.xml SAME
Data\Agora\AgoraMatchmaking_en-US.xml SAME
Data\Agora\AgoraProfile_en-US.xml SAME
Data\Agora\AgoraStatistics_en-US.xml SAME
Data\Agora\agora_matchmaking_English_demonware.xml SAME

For some stupid reason both REMOVED .dds files are always taken out after a complete Mod removal. No biggie tho, I have a clean backup and can replace them.
Rest is completely the same as first installment.
Old 02-25-15, 03:15 PM   #11
CapnScurvy
Admiral

I've always had those two German flags removed too. Did Jones Soft do it on purpoise.......I don't know, Easter Eggs ARE known to occur?! I've wondered if TMO has something to do with them too.

So, you're saying you have 20,000 plus files that are the "Same", as in the Left, Bottom corner of the image below:

As you can see, my Sh4 v1.5 game files list:

Same: 20045 (files)
Different: 1
New: 9
Removed: 2

The one "Different" is due to the LAA added to the .exe file of the game.....Why doesn't your's state the same?

The 9 "New" files are due to 9 in-game screen shots I've taken that (by default) are put into the Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific main game folder. No biggy there.

The 2 "Removed" are shown in the image, the German Flag .dds textures.

So why doesn't your SH4.exe file show a difference from the original if you've loaded the Large Address Aware app to it?

Quote:
Old 02-25-15, 04:03 PM   #12
HertogJan
Weps

Quote:
I've always had those two German flags removed too. Did Jones Soft do it on purpoise.......I don't know, Easter Eggs ARE known to occur?! I've wondered if TMO has something to do with them too.

So, you're saying you have 20,000 plus files that are the "Same", as in the Left, Bottom corner of the image below:

As you can see, my Sh4 v1.5 game files list:

Same: 20045 (files)
Different: 1
New: 9
Removed: 2

The one "Different" is due to the LAA added to the .exe file of the game.....Why doesn't your's state the same?

The 9 "New" files are due to 9 in-game screen shots I've taken that (by default) are put into the Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific main game folder. No biggy there.

The 2 "Removed" are shown in the image, the German Flag .dds textures.
Yes, the only two flag DDs were removed rest was 'same'

Quote:
So why doesn't your SH4.exe file show a difference from the original if you've loaded the Large Address Aware app to it?
That's a good one, I have no idea.
I place my LAA into my 'Programs' folder on my D: drv, should I place it somewhere else?
Old 02-25-15, 05:41 PM   #13
CapnScurvy
Admiral

It doesn't matter where you place the App, it matters what Path you tell it to use to do it's thing.

I've got my LAA placed directly in my C:/ drive....Putting it in your Programs folder of the D:/ drive shouldn't matter.

If you've opened the LAA app, you should find its first page looking something like this:

On this computer, I've got LAA helping on two different games I use. Notice on the right side where it states "LAA" and the parameters read "True" for both......this means LAA is loaded for both games.

If it doesn't show that your Path to wherever you've installed the game is correct, or you don't have the "True" parameter for the game, then something is wrong with your effort to install LAA. I'd try reading the instructions again, and do it over.

Also, the SH4.exe file needs to be checked to make sure a parameter there is correct. The original SH4.exe usually has the "Attributes" set as "Read-only" as default:

You need to have the Read-only parameter un checked before having the LAA app work. So, check this first and "Apply" the change before adding the LAA to the game's SH4.exe file.

As a further thought, if you use a "Shortcut" of the sh4.exe file to start the game from your Desktop, make sure the Shortcut is made AFTER you've added the LAA to the .exe. The Shortcut only mirrors the original. If you change the game's .exe (which you will if LAA is used), delete the older Shortcut, and make a new one for the Desktop once you see everything is as I've described. Do not add LAA to the Shortcut...it goes directly into the games original .exe file.

I'm heading out now for the evening, I suggest you get the LAA working as expected. Then load just TMO 2.5; the OTC mod for TMO 2.5; the proper optical correction mod for your game resolution (16:9 Aspect Ratio); and the 3000 meter/yard Bearing Tool (1920). You can add the Metric Tools mod of OTC if you prefer to play that way

That's it, no other mods. Not the TMO_25_small_patch or the IJN_Rad_Fix_for_TMO2_betaupdate....then see what you have?

Quote:

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 02-25-15 at 06:14 PM.
Old 02-25-15, 06:06 PM   #14
HertogJan
Weps

I've solved the problem
Yes, it was on my end... Figured as mush considering I was the only one ever to have this issue after roaming the forum.

Altho I'm not sure if it was LAA or the fact I checked [Run in compatibility.... Windows XP SP3].

Anyhow, the SH4.exe was set to 'read only' and as I always use LAA in 'basic mode' I didn't see nor checked the value was true or false altho in said patching successful and running at 3.11GG. Going to intermediate and seeing if it worked or not made a that clear.

Geez, Capn, every time you start helping I resolve the problem almost instantaneously.
Put me on the right track so to speak.

2 out of three, lets make it a quartet....

Got two things I'd still like to resolve, one I need your help with (see pictures) other one I'll try myself... add the speed/ knots chart back to the Gramophone wich is in TMO 2.5.
Going for real navigation this time round (as far as the game will let me that is), no more waypoints, only when I'm off for some sleep.

Last edited by HertogJan; 02-25-15 at 06:18 PM.
Old 02-25-15, 06:07 PM   #15
HertogJan
Weps

Just finished my post when I saw your's

Quote:
As a further thought, if you use a "Shortcut" of the sh4.exe file to start the game from your Desktop, make sure the Shortcut is made AFTER you've added the LAA to the .exe. The Shortcut only mirrors the original. If you change the .exe (which you will if LAA is used), delete the older Shortcut, and make a new one for the Desktop once you see everything is as I've described.
Now I know it was the compatibility setting that messed things up for me... I didn't replace the SH4.exe (which I added through the game root dir. to my start menu) when I tested the Mods.

Last edited by HertogJan; 02-25-15 at 06:15 PM. Reason: additional info