SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 07-16-07, 05:39 AM   #1
iratecabbie
Nub

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0
Default Thanks!

Thankyou for taking the time and effort required ot mkae this mod, I have installed it to my 1.3 and will be testing it today and will post back my own feedback...
Old 07-16-07, 09:48 AM   #2
Vampire18
Nub

Downloads: 0

Awesome
Old 07-16-07, 10:44 AM   #3
BlackSpot
Lieutenant

Downloads: 21

I would also like to congratulate you on this mod! Thanks.
One question. I noticed when you hole the ship either on the stern or the bow, the ship sinks end up. Very nice. However, the last bit of the hull to sink below the depths "bobs" in the water. ie. The hull rises out of the water slightly then sinks a little further, then rises again etc. Not a critism in any way, but does this happen in real life? Is it due to an air pocket in the last bit of the hull? Cheers.

Do nothing which is of no use.
Old 07-16-07, 12:20 PM   #4
WernerSobe
Commodore

Downloads: 5

yes it acts like a half filled bottle.

Once a ship suffers a torpedo hit the crew will seal the sheets to avoid the water being spread in entire ship. However when it has taken to much water the sheets will break sooner or later so more and more compartments will be filled. That looks like a kork.
Old 07-16-07, 12:52 PM   #5
nomad_delta
Planesman

Downloads: 1

I was playing around w/ this briefly just before patch 1.3 came out. I've been running without it for the first patrol of my new campagin post-1.3 and I'm already missing it. The ships in stock just sink way too fast. I'll be loading the new version back up as soon as I get back to port.

Great work, Werner!

nomad_delta
Old 08-04-07, 09:29 AM   #6
billko
中国水兵

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 2

WernerSobe:

Amazingly, I just came across this mod just late last night and, boy, am I stoked! Even if the mod works half as good as everyone says it does here (but there's no reason for me to believe that the experience will be anything but amazing), playing SH4 will be so much more rewarding!

I'm tired of sinking a disabled ship just by shooting it a few times with the deck gun and magically sinking it in one massive explosion due to the ship running out of hit points.

Thank you for this super-mod, and I can't wait for the next version to come out! I applaud your devotion to the SH4 experience!!!

Bill
Old 08-06-07, 11:53 PM   #7
nattydread
Captain

Downloads: 2

I love this mod, but I was wondering if the ships can have their back broken by mag pistols or have ships obliterated by secondaries if carrying avgas or ammo? Granted if shouldnt happen all the time, but could hit points be adjusted to allow for smaller ships to take catastrophic damage on occassion and as appropriate considering the magnitude of secondary explosions for volatile cargo.

Im not trying to step on anyone's toes, but structural failure was a contributing factor in sinking ships sometimes...just sometimes

Anyway, ill sayit again, great mod, I love, its one of the most immersive mods I have.
Old 08-11-07, 05:43 AM   #8
Michael Simmons
Swabbie

Default Thank You

Werner,

I thank you very much for taking the time to put this mod together. in my opinion, this is the most valuable of all the mods. Your mod has taken some of the most maddening aspects of this game (invilnerable enemies) and made it one of the most enjoyable.

I have read some of the posts in this thread, and i know a little about hex math. From some of your supplemental posts, it is clear to me that you have really invested a huge amount of your time digging into the guts of this game and getting to the bottom of some of it's most fundamental problems.

Thank you very much for your efforts!
Old 08-11-07, 07:28 AM   #9
Jhereg
Electrician's Mate

Hi Werner, did you find the Fubuki class DD to be as FUBAR as the Shiratsuyu?

In TM 1.5 I have only managed to sink one Fubuki with a luck critical hit and the ensuing fireworks LOL.... All four other Fubuki's I have encountered have taken three or four torps and lit up the night sky while still running around at 38 Knots. I eventually give up and sneak away.

Thank you so much for your work, it has made an immesuarable difference to my enjoyment of this title!
Old 08-11-07, 08:27 AM   #10
tater
Navy Seal

Werner, assuming I understood correctly, the compartments are areas that take on water, etc, and sink the ship. No compartments, no water, no sinking.

Is the hull of the 3d model a surface where torpedos explode, or is it just visual, and the torpedo explodes when it hits the underlying compartment? I ask because it seems like on a BB or other ship with armored belt you could intentionally make compartments behind the belt stay far away from the outside of the hull. then a torpedo (assuming it blows when it hits the edge of the visual model) might not have the explosion radius to hole the actual compartment behind. I'm sure you have thought of stuff like this already but I thought I'd throw it out there.

tater
Old 08-11-07, 12:24 PM   #11
WernerSobe
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tater
Werner, assuming I understood correctly, the compartments are areas that take on water, etc, and sink the ship. No compartments, no water, no sinking.

Is the hull of the 3d model a surface where torpedos explode, or is it just visual, and the torpedo explodes when it hits the underlying compartment? I ask because it seems like on a BB or other ship with armored belt you could intentionally make compartments behind the belt stay far away from the outside of the hull. then a torpedo (assuming it blows when it hits the edge of the visual model) might not have the explosion radius to hole the actual compartment behind. I'm sure you have thought of stuff like this already but I thought I'd throw it out there.

tater
The 3d model has nothing to do with collision model. Actualy the 3d model is in the dat file. The zon file contains both, collision and compartment model which are not the same. You can move compartments around or make them bigger or smaller it will only affect the sinking behavier not the collision. The collision is also defined in the zon file but its working with spheres not with boxes.

So basicly the answer is yes. It is possible to resize the compartments of battleships and make sure they are further away from the hull.

But that exposed to be not neccessary. Ive separated battleships compartment proparties from other warships and can do with them whatever i want without making cruisers or carriers to strong. Actualy im almost done with BBs. You will love them they have strong armor now. Much stronger then cruisers. Sinking them will be possible but it will be always a great challenge, after all these ships are designed to take some torpedoes.
Old 08-11-07, 01:15 PM   #12
tater
Navy Seal

Wow, that is so cool.

I wonder if any of our submarine damage issues are compartment related...

tater
Old 08-11-07, 12:10 PM   #13
WernerSobe
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhereg
Hi Werner, did you find the Fubuki class DD to be as FUBAR as the Shiratsuyu?

In TM 1.5 I have only managed to sink one Fubuki with a luck critical hit and the ensuing fireworks LOL.... All four other Fubuki's I have encountered have taken three or four torps and lit up the night sky while still running around at 38 Knots. I eventually give up and sneak away.

Thank you so much for your work, it has made an immesuarable difference to my enjoyment of this title!
Thats right! shiratsuyu and fubuki were both suffering of that bug. Also some light cruisers. That was also the reason why the torpedoes left no visual damage sometimes. All fixed in new version.
Closed Thread