SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-01-07, 02:42 PM   #1
Andas_007
Swabbie

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0
Default Crew slots for deck guns desapier.. pls help

During one patrol mission... I observe my crew dont want to come to mane the deck gun... then I noticed the crew slots for bow and stern gun are missing... I go back in port... and they are still missing... how can I fix that please ???

Also I have one patrol mission that dont wnat to finish... what are the conditions for one patrol mission (binocular icon) to finish ?

Pls help...

Thank you !
Andas_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-07, 04:48 PM   #2
-Pv-
The Old Man

The no deck gun slots appears to be a problem only certain people have and other people NEVER have. The typical questions to ask: Are you playing the latest patch playing from an autosave in port after applying the latest patch, and are you using any mods? Try reverting back to your last port autosave and see if you have gun slots.

Last, when all else fails, start a new career from a clean-no-mod-latest-patch version of the game.

As far as patrol requirements, see if the thread "how do u patrol off the marshall islands mission?" answers the question.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=121480

-Pv-
-Pv- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-07, 05:34 PM   #3
madcat
Swabbie

Downloads: 1

I all so have that problem, if I have upgraded the AA guns or moved the deck gun I lose crew slots for them stations.

This happed in my old career and now in my new career even though my current install of SH4 is a fresh install with all old data deleted and patch before I played it.

Is there any where you can edit it to put the crew slots back?
madcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-07, 02:45 AM   #4
Andas_007
Swabbie

THank you for your response.... indeed I think was happen after i upgraded my AA.
I use only 2 mods (sounds and living see).. so its not from those mods... its bug.. and a nasty one... need to reset carrer..
Andas_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-07, 10:45 AM   #5
Lafferty
Officer

Downloads: 51

man that sucks i have never heard of that bug before.
Lafferty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-07, 02:09 PM   #6
woodstock74
Watch

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andas_007
During one patrol mission... I observe my crew dont want to come to mane the deck gun... then I noticed the crew slots for bow and stern gun are missing... I go back in port... and they are still missing... how can I fix that please ???

Also I have one patrol mission that dont wnat to finish... what are the conditions for one patrol mission (binocular icon) to finish ?

Pls help...

Thank you !
Wondering if this is the same problem. The issue I'm having is getting the crew to man the deck gun or AA gun and staying at their position. Always seem they abandon their position right when I'm expecting them to be there.
woodstock74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-07, 12:43 AM   #7
-Pv-
The Old Man

I'm not seeing any of those problems. Is anyone still trying to use no disk on 1.3? Are you requesting a new boat instead of being assigned one? I have upgraded my AA on two boats and I have no deck crew position problems. Anyting else unique you guys might be doing?
-Pv-
Old 09-03-07, 03:30 PM   #8
madcat
Swabbie

I’ll try and make things bit more clear. At the moment I am running a fresh install of SH4 1.3 with out the disk, because you don’t need the disk with 1.3. With previous version of the game I have all ways used the disk, never used the nocd because that mess up the game more then it was all ready at that point.

I have gone though my career and have only received a new boat when I have bin assigned a new boat or it was to badly damaged.

At the moment the boat I have is a BALAO Class and when I received it had x2 Single 20mm AA Machine Guns (Bow & Stern) & x1 4 inch/50 cal Deck Gun (Bow).

Right away I upgraded the AA to x2 Twin 20mm AA Machine Guns no problem, tried to move the 4 inch/50 cal Deck Gun from the Bow to the Stern with problems, the 2 crew slots assigned to the Deck Gun had disappeared. So I had a gun but no way of getting the crew to man it, tried switching the 4 inch/50 cal Deck Gun back to the Bow but still no crew slots.

So load it back up how it was before I did the upgrade, after some portals had gone by I tried again to upgrade the guns on my boat and this time I upgraded the AA to x1 Single 40mm AA Machine Gun (Stern) & x1 Twin 20mm AA Machine Gun (Bow). Had no problem with the Twin 20mm AA Machine Gun but the Single 40mm AA Machine has only 1 crew slot, but it should have 2 crew slots as it needs two crewmen to operate it properly and this how my boat is at the moment.

Just tried moving the Deck Gun again from bow to Stern and the same thing happened again as I said above, this has happened on other boat I have used but the problem with the 40mm AA gun is a new one to me as it has not bin available.
Old 09-03-07, 07:26 PM   #9
AirborneTD
Engineer

Downloads: 23

Ok. As soon as you moved the deck gun to the stern you needed to go into the crew management screen and manually move the crew into/out of the deck gun slots. THis should keep them intact allowing the AI to fire the gun. If not, I don't know what is happening. This works quite well for me. Now that you have this problem, you will have to wait until you start a new campaign. I don't believe it is fixable after it has already happened.
Old 09-04-07, 07:27 AM   #10
madcat
Swabbie

Back at base and did what you said moving the crew from the deck gun, then moved the deck gun from the bow to the stern but the same problem happed again!!!

So bin having a look at the save game files and i think its some thing to do with the ActiveUserPlayerUnits.upc

Did two saves where 1 is unmodified & 2 moved the deck gun. Then compared the deferent’s and there is some, tried changing some values but didn't seem to work and can't pin down what it is but it's some where between [UserPlayerUnit 1.Compartment 7] & [UserPlayerUnit 1.Compartment 8.CrewMemberSlot 2] in the ActiveUserPlayerUnits.upc file I think?
Old 09-04-07, 08:36 PM   #11
-Pv-
The Old Man

What happens when you start at port before you do any maintenance and have no crew in the weapon slots. Purchace/place the gun as you with then go to the crew screen and see if the empty slots for the weapons have been created.

I never have crew in the weapon slots when I pull into port. When I need the weapons manned during patrol, I recruit them from DC or inactive bridge crew. I'm careful to keep a few gun-rated crew in the bridge and DC positions.
-Pv-
Old 09-05-07, 01:32 PM   #12
madcat
Swabbie

Made a small video if it helps?

http://files.filefront.com/Crew+Slot.../fileinfo.html
Old 09-05-07, 02:08 PM   #13
the_belgian
Commander

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcat
Same problem here...
i always make a savegame in the office and then start to work on the gun.when "our" problem showes up i reload the savegame and try again usualy it works after the second or third time.
the_belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-07, 03:26 AM   #14
Coletrains
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Problem manually solved

I had the same problem when ever I tried to change the gun type within a career. I am playing with v1.2 knowing that I always have to set my gun type when offered a new bot. Unfortunately with the new Balao class I installed a bow gun instead of stern (I always used stern since I need the the gun only if i cant dive due to hull damage and a destroyer is following me).

Solution (not so easy) to replace a Bow deck gun with a Stern deck gun (2 crewmen):
all entrances are in the file of your savegame:
-ActiveUserPlayerUnits.upc (backup it!)

-Search for the compartments 7 (Stern gun) and 8 (Bow gun)
they start with "UserPlayerUnit 1.Compartment 7"
-Get a feeling of the file structure and write it down (compare sections of savegames with Stern and Bow type gun for instance and see differences)
-do not change "UserPlayerUnit 1.Compartment 7/8"
-now exchange the weapon entrances:
for instance replace "[UserPlayerUnit 1.Compartment 7.CrewMemberSlotAdditionalRepository 1]" (which means nothing is installed at stern)
with all sub categories beginning with "[UserPlayerUnit 1.Compartment 8.WeaponSlot 1.Weapon]" to "[UserPlayerUnit 1.Compartment 8.CrewMemberSlot 2.CrewMember.Rank.CrewMember3D]"
-you can simply cut/copy and paste.
-now change the numbers "7" to "8" and "8" to "7" of the moved categories

Some small changes left:
-in "[UserPlayerUnit 1.Compartment 7.WeaponSlot 1]" enter the gun type:
-"IDLinkWeaponLoaded=x", x=gun type for me it was 4in50calUS
-search in compartments 7 and 8 for (multiple entries) :
"ID=CrewMemberSlot_x", x should be DGun for Stern and DGgun2 for Bow (note that there is another extension C1 and L for crew and leader which you dont need to change like DGun2L)
-search for "WatchCrewMemberSlot3D=WM2@slot_M0x", x=1 for Bow, and x=2 for Stern (if you don't adjust this you have a shooting non visible gun crew)

-search for "CurrentUpgradePack=Upack4in50calDGBow" and change this to "CurrentUpgradePack=Upack4in50calDGStern" (this is only for the description in the docks)

------
I am German. Do you know that "Bow" means in German "Bug" ....and we all now what a game Bug is.
Old 09-06-07, 02:02 PM   #15
neumanf15
Seaman

Downloads: 7

Coletrains,
Thank you! I now have a working fore gun! I've had this problem both with and without TM 1.6, and you have helped me at least get it working!

A thought for you (this worked for me): I replaced the stern gun with a fore gun in my game, letting it take away the slots. Then I followed your directions for swapping the crew. My crewmen's data was in the "Compartment 7 ...AdditionalRepository" slots.
It already had the gun mounted correctly, so all I had to move was the crew slots.

Again, THANK YOU!
neumanf15 is offline   Reply With Quote