SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-24-08, 09:53 PM   #271
ViperU48
Torpedoman

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelifecrisis
To Viper:
Does the GWX 2.1 16km Atmosphere mod give you black triangles?
No, I won't be making an 8km version. [damn!]

To everyone else who has had black triangles before:
Does 1.5 fix black triangles for you?
Yes, the GWX 2.1 16km Atmosphere mod still gives me black triangles.

Interestingly enough, there are somewhat fewer artifacts near the horizon in both the GWX2.1 16km mod and with OLCE2 compared to before (still quite noticable though), but in both the GWX 2.1 16km atmosphere and OLCE2 there are a ton of artifacts a little higher in the sky (and especially in the zenith).

(ugh...i can't believe i used to play with those old environmental effects, life without OLCE2 is unbearable.)
Old 04-24-08, 10:05 PM   #272
ViperU48
Torpedoman

I wonder: if someone were to send me a version that has a rediculous "overkill" horizon value, would I not be able to essentially see if this problem could even be fixed at all with a 16km atmosphere? It seems to me like the trick is just finding the right "sweetspot" value between the point where the black artifacts are no longer visible, and the possible fudging-up of other elements of the sim...

I'd do it myself if i had any idea on how to do that.
Old 04-24-08, 10:23 PM   #273
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 3

@JScones
Yes! I got the JS stamp of approval
About RWF... if you've been playing GWX 2.1 with OLCE2 then you've been playing with half of the RealWeatherFix. I really don't know whether it's the important half or not, nor do I know whether that half even does anything without the other half to complement it. But I can vouch for RWF (when whole) being terrific.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperU48
I wonder: if someone were to send me a version that has a rediculous "overkill" horizon value, would I not be able to essentially see if this problem could even be fixed at all with a 16km atmosphere? It seems to me like the trick is just finding the right "sweetspot" value between the point where the black artifacts are no longer visible, and the possible fudging-up of other elements of the sim...

I'd do it myself if i had any idea on how to do that.
It's not rocket science. Download S3D and I'll send you a screenshot showing which variable you need to change (it's not called "horizon" in S3D).
Old 04-24-08, 10:32 PM   #274
ViperU48
Torpedoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelifecrisis
It's not rocket science. Download S3D and I'll send you a screenshot showing which variable you need to change (it's not called "horizon" in S3D).
I'm ready to roll when you're available.

[PS: thanks for taking the time to help me out.]

And as OLC asked before, is anyone else with an nvidia board who had black artifacts before, still getting them with OLCE2 1.5?
Old 04-25-08, 12:38 AM   #275
Schwuppes
中国水兵

Downloads: 22
OLC Ubermod 1.5 = EPIC WIN!

no more black triangles! This is something.... special!
E8400 @ 4.00Ghz standard vCore, Gigabyte P35C DS3R @ 445 Mhz, Leadtek GTX 280, 3 x 1GB Kingston DDR2 800 @ 890Mhz, 250GB +160GB HDD, Terratec DMX 6fire 24/96, Silverstone ST60F 600W, Logitech Z-5500 THX

Schwuppes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-08, 01:08 AM   #276
GoldenRivet
Subsim Aviator

Downloads: 146

OLC you were such a fine help earlier...

got a new one for you

I have applied 1.5 parts one and two and the flat sun fix... yet the sun still looks like little pan cake up there. what do i need to do? or what do you think i missed?

GWX2.1
GWX no medals on crew
GWX open hatch
OLC Uber mod 1.5 part 1
" " " part 2
flat sun fix

usinga GeForce 8800 GTX
Old 04-25-08, 01:12 AM   #277
ViperU48
Torpedoman

I must sincerely apologize: OLCE2 1.5 DOES indeed fix the black triangles in the 16km atmosphere.

As I'm a new SH3 Commander user, I didn't know to rollback my settings before adding in the new OLCE2 1.5 (SH3C was set to edit the scene.dat to modify the water murky level).

SH3C kept amending the scene.dat with an older environment version of somekind, so I didn't get any of the fixes in OLCE2 1.5.

Now all is working fine, and for the first time I can play in a 16km world, and with OLCE2 to boot!!!

One last question (please don't bludgeon me): to avoid any confusion with SH3C, I edited the OLCE2 1.5 scene.dat myself with S3D. In the EnvData section (where the "camera/horizon" settings are), all i changed was the "Underwater -> Fog -> Zmax =" from 15 to 2, giving me a more realistically murky underwater view. My question is, can you OLC or anyone else forsee this effecting any other elements in the OLCE2 1.5 mod (like sensors or anything)?

Anyway, I think i've been enough of a pill...OLC I must thank-you for making this mod, it's by far my most favorite. I sincerely hope you'll enjoy it as much as we will and already do (when you get a chance between being pestered by people like me)!

Happy Hunting!
Old 04-25-08, 01:38 AM   #278
Yorktown_Class
Lieutenant

Downloads: 64

I too still get the black artifacts on the horizon and higher in the sky,but it does seem to be less than with the old version,I haven't tryed the GWX 16km yet...

But I am not complaining,I love this mod
Old 04-25-08, 01:39 AM   #279
JScones
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

Quote:
As I'm a new SH3 Commander user, I didn't know to rollback my settings before adding in the new OLCE2 1.5 (SH3C was set to edit the scene.dat to modify the water murky level).
Poor excuse - it does come with a User Guide you know.

Quote:
SH3C kept amending the scene.dat with an older environment version of somekind...
No it didn't. Because YOU failed to follow the instructions, YOU created a situation where SH3Cmdr was trying to clean up files that YOU had subsequently changed. It was doing it's job correctly.

Quote:
One last question (please don't bludgeon me): to avoid any confusion with SH3C, I edited the OLCE2 1.5 scene.dat myself with S3D. In the EnvData section (where the "camera/horizon" settings are), all i changed was the "Underwater -> Fog -> Zmax =" from 15 to 2, giving me a more realistically murky underwater view.
See above. Work arounds like this are NOT necessary if you take the five minutes needed to read the User Guide that I put together to ensure that you don't get yourself into messes like this.

[rant]If I sound pissed, it's because I'm sick of players being too damn lazy to read the readme files that modders provide in an attempt to make everyone's life easier. Ironically, it's the players that continue to say "be nice, don't post RTFM comments because it's rude boo hoo", when it's actually the players that are being rude by ignoring the information that modders provide, especially when they then come out criticising the mods as being faulty! That's why I no longer respond to SH3Cmdr questions where the answer is in the manual. Rude? Well, right back at'cha.[/rant]

Apologies for ranting in your thread OLC...
JScones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-08, 01:53 AM   #280
Yorktown_Class
Lieutenant

Downloads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorktown_Class
I too still get the black artifacts on the horizon and higher in the sky,but it does seem to be less than with the old version,I haven't tryed the GWX 16km yet...

But I am not complaining,I love this mod

I just checked,with the GWX 16km,the artifacts disappear,but the game looks more stock than than with the OLC mod..
Old 04-25-08, 01:58 AM   #281
ViperU48
Torpedoman

Take it easy Jscones: while I appreciate your work for the community, maybe you should stop for a second before exploding to account for the fact that not everyone has the time to read all the (at times, massive amounts) of material included with the tons of mods that are being made for this sim. After not playing this sim for 3 years then trying to get up to speed, a thorough understanding of other people's creations isn't neccessarily possible within the span of a day. Even if I had read that part of the manual, I may not have been even able to come to that appropriate conclusion considering all the other modifications that one would think, could possibly be effecting this particular mod.

And in no way did i overtly/intentionally critizise your mod Jscones. It would have been nicer to have read this in a PM instead.

[/counter rant]

Now I'll be the first to admit when I'm being a pain, and I certainly am. But one must be mindful of the fact that with the growing convoluted nature of SH3 modifications, and despite the fact that information is sometimes readily available; it may not be neccessarily clear, relevant, or retained when it is needed...

That said, as all these 'malfunctions' (human or software) are worked out and mods finallized, SH3 + GWX 2.1 + OLC Ubermod + JScones' SH3C makes one helluva Uboat experience.

Last edited by ViperU48; 04-25-08 at 02:38 AM.
ViperU48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-08, 02:15 AM   #282
GoldenRivet
Subsim Aviator

Downloads: 146

no rant or hard feelings intended but JSCones has a point - to an extent...

As a firm believer of manual and readme file reading i tend to agree with him.

have i read every manual all the way though? No i have not, but i have read enough of these manuals and enough of these forum threads to know certain key "do's and dont's" with regards to these wonderful mods.

in factm the rollback feature explanation is located on page 3 of the SH3 Commander readme.

Considering page one is a cover page, and page two is the table of contents, technically it is page ONE.

it took me not more than 30 seconds to paruse the table of contents and read anough of pages one, two and three to see big bold letters which read "ROLLING BACK SH3 COMMANDER".

not that im accusing anyone of anything... but i wish to God i had a nickle for every time i saw a question on these forums asked that could have been easily answered with the "search" function of a PDF or Word viewer.

often times members can save a headache by just searching the manuals for key words related to their problems.

its one thing if you have searched and searched for the information, and simply cant find it, our modders are generally friendly and so are the members here and any of them will be happy to point you in the right direction.

also, everyone should be advised, that this mod work is free of charge, and a lot of modders spend a lot of personal time dedicated to making our games better... because of this little projects turn into big projects, and big projects grow into PET projects.

as a result, modders are quick to jump to the defense of their mod if they feel it is being attacked in any way shape or form(at least thats one thing i have noticed since joining this place)

lets try and remember that we are all friends... brethren here... all on the same team

EDIT: (and i did search) can someone please help me figure out why my flat sun fix doesnt seem to work haha

EDIT EDIT: nevermind.... forgot about "shift + page up"

Last edited by GoldenRivet; 04-25-08 at 03:52 AM.
GoldenRivet is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-08, 06:57 AM   #283
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 3

Quote:
One last question (please don't bludgeon me): to avoid any confusion with SH3C, I edited the OLCE2 1.5 scene.dat myself with S3D. In the EnvData section (where the "camera/horizon" settings are), all i changed was the "Underwater -> Fog -> Zmax =" from 15 to 2, giving me a more realistically murky underwater view. My question is, can you OLC or anyone else forsee this effecting any other elements in the OLCE2 1.5 mod (like sensors or anything)?
I doubt that setting would affect anything else. Its probably fine to change it.
Old 04-25-08, 07:08 AM   #284
filefool
Loader

Downloads: 0

You're crazy OLC!

I installed OLCE2 1.2 and when i come back to the forums after my first patrol with your awesome enhancements, there's already version 1.5 available!

Do you have something like an "automatic mod updater"? If so, then i wanna have it too!

Just kidding, i really enjoy your work and along with GWX and Rubini's released an upcoming mods it's one of the reasons why SH3 will still spend a long time on my HD.
Old 04-25-08, 09:40 AM   #285
Einsman
Engineer

Location: In one place in the Atlantic, say A Coruña, Galiza (Spain)
Downloads: 187

Hi!

Yesterday, I had the oportunity to play in SH3 with OLC Ubermod 1.3 and...

... It's hard (waves over scope) ... It's real... It's a great mod.

Living Silent Hunter III with OLC in combination with GWX 2.1 and SH3 Commander ... It's just another game!
Einsman is offline   Reply With Quote