SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-01-13, 09:03 PM   #1051
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Are you running an environment mod on top?
Protect each one we ask of thee.
Bless those at home who wait and pray,
For their return by night and day."

aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-13, 11:40 PM   #1052
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

ArchAngel_X,

What you describe is not normal. You might want to list the exact mods you are using and what order you installed them in. I assume you have v1.5 of the game.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-13, 04:26 AM   #1053
ArchAngel_X
Nub

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

I have the following game and mods installed:

Silent Hunter IV v1.5
RFB 2.0
RFB 23 April 2010 Patch

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium x64. I will also try reinstalling the game in a directory other than default ("Program Files (x86)") as I've just remembered that some older games do not play nice in the way new versions of Windows handle the execution of files under administrator, though I won't be able to properly test this until after work today. I will post my results here.
ArchAngel_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-13, 10:57 AM   #1054
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchAngel_X View Post
I have the following game and mods installed:

Silent Hunter IV v1.5
RFB 2.0
RFB 23 April 2010 Patch

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium x64. I will also try reinstalling the game in a directory other than default ("Program Files (x86)") as I've just remembered that some older games do not play nice in the way new versions of Windows handle the execution of files under administrator, though I won't be able to properly test this until after work today. I will post my results here.
As TorpX says that is not typical for RFB

Yes, install to a folder off the root C:\ for example I made a C:\GAMES\ folder.
aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-13, 04:03 PM   #1055
The Mad Asshatter
Seaman

Downloads: 51

Hey look at that, I decide to come back to submarines and we've now got a 1 file daily download limit? Not even enough to get the mod and the update?
The Mad Asshatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-13, 09:27 PM   #1056
TorpX
Silent Hunter

That is just to encourage you to drop in and pay us a visit.
Old 04-15-13, 01:36 PM   #1057
mr. whukid
Watch

Downloads: 35

Hello everyone,

I'm having a ton of issues with firing torpedoes. Not Duds, misfires, premature detonations, or the like, but firing torpedoes where I aim them. I tried using the tutorials, but they're useless when using RFB 2.0. They all rely on information that you don't have, so I'm kind've stuck. For the time being, I'm sticking to firing torpedoes in a spread (read as "In a straight line because messing with the gyro is inherently difficult") and sneaking into harbors. Are there any RFB tutorials on how to deal with this?

Also, the game seems to be fairly unstable for some reason.

Thanks
- whukid
Old 04-15-13, 02:19 PM   #1058
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Sorry but I fail to understand what is different in RFB? Last I remember firing torpedoes was the same as in the stock game
Old 04-15-13, 03:16 PM   #1059
mr. whukid
Watch

No icons in RFB 2.0. It's extremely difficult to measure range

EDIT:

Not saying it's the mod, btw. I just need to figure out how to stop sending torpedoes off into left field when the target vessel is directly in front of me

Last edited by mr. whukid; 04-15-13 at 09:53 PM.
mr. whukid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-13, 11:52 PM   #1060
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. whukid View Post
Hello everyone,

I'm having a ton of issues with firing torpedoes. Not Duds, misfires, premature detonations, or the like, but firing torpedoes where I aim them. I tried using the tutorials, but they're useless when using RFB 2.0. They all rely on information that you don't have, so I'm kind've stuck. For the time being, I'm sticking to firing torpedoes in a spread (read as "In a straight line because messing with the gyro is inherently difficult") and sneaking into harbors. Are there any RFB tutorials on how to deal with this?

Also, the game seems to be fairly unstable for some reason.

Thanks
- whukid
Do you have the 1.5 version of SH4? It shouldn't be unstable.

As far as manual targeting is concerned, I don't know of any dedicated RFB tutorials, but the basics are the same.
You need four pieces of information:

Target relative bearing --- self evident

Target AoB (relative course) --- visually estimated

Target Range --- stadimeter estimate/guess/sonar

Target speed --- plotting and distance/time

You can't expect to master MT quickly or easily; it takes time.

Old 04-16-13, 01:06 AM   #1061
mr. whukid
Watch

Yep. Running 1.5 with no other mods or anything. It gets really bad when changing between views sometimes, from the map and whenever entering a port especially. I've sort of gotten around the problem by Saving before and after ever "action" sequence, if you will. I.E., by saving when coming across a convoy or just about to enter a harbor to refit and saving when leaving.
Old 04-16-13, 07:22 AM   #1062
Fish40
The Old Man

Downloads: 146

Mr. Whukid, I'm assuming you're using manual targeting, correct? Please note that in RFB, the point of measurement for range differs with ship class: Merchants - Use highest mast
Warships - Use tallest Funnel
Carriers - Use Flight deck

It's possible your torpedoes are going astray because your range measurements are off. I consistently use the stadimeter and PK with great success, despite folks who think it's useless.
Fish40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-13, 08:18 AM   #1063
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Quote:
No icons in RFB 2.0. It's extremely difficult to measure range
Ahh that's the assisted plotting mod. It can be disabled individually, but it's a hard task.
Old 04-16-13, 11:52 PM   #1064
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. whukid View Post
Yep. Running 1.5 with no other mods or anything. It gets really bad when changing between views sometimes, from the map and whenever entering a port especially. I've sort of gotten around the problem by Saving before and after ever "action" sequence, if you will. I.E., by saving when coming across a convoy or just about to enter a harbor to refit and saving when leaving.
If you are talking about when you enter your home port (sorry, I don't do horbor raiding), the game gets very glitchy. AFAIK, this is not a RFB issue, but a stock game issue. Most just use the dock at port menu, and skip the actual docking. I had assumed it was a graphical/memory issue, but I don't really know. If you are talking about something else, I have no idea.
Old 06-19-13, 01:11 PM   #1065
andrescopeland
Watch

Downloads: 112

I've recently bought a new computer (8 gig ram, 2gig dedicated graphics card yadayadayada... runs games full spec) and set about installing one of my all time favourites SH4 after quickly dismissing SH5.. downloaded rfb, its patch, rsrd and it's patch then booted it up to see it in all it's glory however... When I load up the campaign and start a mission it shows the loading screen and a message (sink them all or it's equivalent) then nothing, I then have to restart the computer due to not being able to force close it (many thanks windows 8). I do have the steam version and U-boat expansion and installation is no longer in 'program files' as I've heard that can cause issues. Someone please help as one of my main reasons for updating my computer from the previous one (that had been abused by SHIII GWX) was to sink my teeth into 4. Thanks in advance and I really hope that someone has an answer!!!!!
andrescopeland is offline   Reply With Quote