SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-16-14, 07:36 PM   #1
enjoi
Sailor man

Downloads: 43
Uploads: 0
Default My type IXC won't do more than 15 knots....

As some of you may know from my other recent thread I'm playing GWX 3.0. i recently just reinstalled the game despite the CTD madness because I love it and want to keep playing.

Anyway, I started a new career in 1942, I just went out on 2 patrols and both patrols I am using a type IXC with the 2nd Flotilla. For some reason I can't do more than 15 knots on calm waters. I have the Diesel Engines maxed out and I have a Machinist Officer in the Engine Room.

I'm guessing this is due to one of my mods or settings in SH commander, can someone please look at the picture of all my mods and settings and tell me if something might be causing this? Thank you guys.

enjoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-14, 12:11 AM   #2
dantheman10001
Swabbie

Downloads: 63
What might be causing this is the WB'S Decks awash + Fuel Economy by the name itself it might be the problem. If that doesnt work then do the long way and uninstall mods one by one to find out which one is the problem hopes that work

"Damn the torpedoes, Full speed ahead!" -Admiral David Glasgow Farragut
dantheman10001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-14, 12:17 AM   #3
allievo
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

You have switched Model effects on in SH3 Commander so your U-boat has a malfunction or been sabotaged in port and that's why you can't do over 15 knots. Now you have to ponder over continuing the patrol or returning to the base for repair. By the way, it's a good idea to have a checking on every screw and bolt on your U-boat after departure. In SH3 Commander\Cfg folder open Randomised events.cfg file with Notepad, scroll down to malfunctions and sabotages. Those are the stuff that can go wrong when you have Model effects on.
Old 08-17-14, 07:47 AM   #4
ParaHandy
Watch

Downloads: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by allievo View Post
You have switched Model effects on in SH3 Commander so your U-boat has a malfunction or been sabotaged in port and that's why you can't do over 15 knots. Now you have to ponder over continuing the patrol or returning to the base for repair. By the way, it's a good idea to have a checking on every screw and bolt on your U-boat after departure. In SH3 Commander\Cfg folder open Randomised events.cfg file with Notepad, scroll down to malfunctions and sabotages. Those are the stuff that can go wrong when you have Model effects on.
That would have been my advice, but the OP states it's happened on two consecutive patrols which is pretty unlucky if it is a malfunction.
ParaHandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-14, 10:25 AM   #5
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

On a navigation exercise with a XIC and mid-war crew, wind speed 4 m/sec, at flank speed the pit log fluctuates between 17 and 17.5 kts. That is slightly less than the spec maximum of 18.3 kts. Not knowing how the spec maximum was determined, that seems a reasonable operational maximum.

Used the following mod list for this trial:

NYGM Tonnage War V2.5 – Stand Alone Version
NYGM3_New
NYGM3_6D
NYGM Tonnage War Minefield Mod
NYGM HiRes Submarines
IABLShipsforNYGM_New
TMT mod(NYGM version)
Harbor Traffic Add-In
Alternate Dial Faces
AllAirTorpedoes
Scirè-Tikigod- repeated order
SHIII Internal Life Mod v1.2
BritishAsdicMkIFinal
EAX_Sound_Sim_SH3
FM_NewInterior v2.1D
Carotio_SH3_ClothesHatsFacesSkilledCrew
NeuUZO&PeriV.2
Capt. Teach's SH3 Color Icons for GWX 3.0 (Standard)
TorpedoTubesFfireFinal vStock
Spirit of machines
NYGM 3.6D zigzag campaign layer
Bearded faces
M.E.P v4.2
Optional - ShipVanishingHull for MEP v4.3
M.E.P v4.2 - VisualSensors for NYGM 3.6b
M.E.P v4.2 to v4.3
New _hydrophone _layers for SH3 v2.0_NYGM
Rbs1_SH4_Effects_GWX_21_204f
Hitman_GUI_NYGM3_1.1
Van1920x1080 v1.1
Supplement to V16B1 - NYGM
Stiebler4B_Addon_for_V16B1 - NYGM
O2-Gauges v2
BW On-Top Mod WYGM v1.0.5

Did not use SH3 Commander.

NSS_Uboat9c.cfg showed MaxSpeed=18.3.

Tested again. Same apparent conditions. 16.0 to 17.0 kts.

15.0 kts. seems low, but there are a lot of conditions which affect the realizable maximum. Based on the first-person accounts, this was true R/L as well.

BTW, WB'S Decks awash + Fuel Economy mod, file NSS_Uboat9c.cfg sets MaxSpeed=18.3

Last edited by BigWalleye; 08-17-14 at 11:03 AM.
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-14, 11:08 AM   #6
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoi View Post
As some of you may know from my other recent thread I'm playing GWX 3.0. i recently just reinstalled the game despite the CTD madness because I love it and want to keep playing.

Anyway, I started a new career in 1942, I just went out on 2 patrols and both patrols I am using a type IXC with the 2nd Flotilla. For some reason I can't do more than 15 knots on calm waters. I have the Diesel Engines maxed out and I have a Machinist Officer in the Engine Room.

I'm guessing this is due to one of my mods or settings in SH commander, can someone please look at the picture of all my mods and settings and tell me if something might be causing this? Thank you guys.

I just looked at this mod list. TDW_DC_Water_Disturbance has been reported to consistently cause CTDs in some installations. Not always. Some people use the mod with no problems. But if you start to see consistent CTDs when reloading saves, that would be a mod to check first.
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-14, 07:01 PM   #7
enjoi
Sailor man

Downloads: 43

Thanks guys, on the 3rd patrol I got an IXC40 and I could do 19 knots again, not sure what was causing it. I didn't change anything as far as my mods go.
enjoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-14, 08:15 PM   #8
Theodulus
Watch

Downloads: 56

Make sure you weren't recharging batteries. The boat only runs on one diesel while the other runs a generator. Also, seconding what BigWalleye said, TDW_DC_Water_Disturbance apparently causes issues for a lot of people. Myself, I couldn't load a single save with it activated.
Theodulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-14, 04:24 AM   #9
Kng
Watch

Downloads: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoi View Post
Thanks guys, on the 3rd patrol I got an IXC40 and I could do 19 knots again, not sure what was causing it. I didn't change anything as far as my mods go.
Did you raise your landing gear? Excuse me, that is always a good one when amongst flight crews.

I am glad it got sorted out! Happy hunting and fette Beute!
Kng is offline   Reply With Quote