SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-09-14, 11:31 PM   #1
desirableroasted
Grey Wolf

Location: In the mountains, now. On the edge of the sea before.
Downloads: 47
Uploads: 0
SH3 Commander settings do not "take"

Fellow old salts, before you keelhaul me, let me say a) I would not be posting were I not at wits end and b) I have poured over the forum archives.

I cannot get my SH3 Commander settings to "take". The settings seem to be in place (no fatigue, no intro movies, etc), and they work for 1 session, but when I save and restart they are not working at all (despite still being checked in the options box).

And what is frustrating is that I have used SH3C and GWX for years with no problem.

I recently had to uninstall and reinstall SH3. I did it by the book. Ripped everything out, down to the Reg Files. Ditto with SH3C. Made a fully clean install By The Book... SH3, then GWX, then SH3C, then the GWX/SH3C patch.

Made a "virgin" first patrol in the harbor -- launched from the game, not SH3C, no sub changes, crew changes, no mods, etc. Came back to harbor. Set up SH3C to my liking.

First real patrol: the settings work fine. I launch from outside harbour, crew is happy, no intro movies...

Then bang... when I saved and came back to game, the settings were "right" but not active in the game.

I have installed SH3, GWX, SH3C commander successfully four or five times in the past 8 years. I have never had this problem... but am I forgetting some key step that I used to know?

Advice?

Everything is working otherwise... the careers are being recorded, I can manage the crew, all that. But none of the gameplay or other settings work. Also, I have activated some low key mods, and they work perfectly.
Old 08-10-14, 06:13 AM   #2
Pappy55
Engineer

Downloads: 173

A wild stab in the dark. but after each session do you click roll back sh3 in SH3 commander?
Old 08-10-14, 06:15 AM   #3
Von Tonner
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by desirableroasted View Post
Everything is working otherwise... the careers are being recorded, I can manage the crew, all that. But none of the gameplay or other settings work. Also, I have activated some low key mods, and they work perfectly.
Ditto desirableroasted. I also have automatic roll back ticked. The first time I started as far as I could tell all options were working. I started outside harbour, one crew member was transferred when I returned to port etc. But I am now in my 17th patrol and I am not seeing any of the ticked features since my first patrol. I have had the same crew (not that I'm minding much as they are pretty seasoned now) but always start in harbour - these are the clear indicators as most of the other options like seasonal waves etc are hard to gauge if working or not.

Maybe SailorSteve has an answer as he is the fundi on this program
Von Tonner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-14, 07:09 AM   #4
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Tonner View Post
Ditto desirableroasted. I also have automatic roll back ticked. The first time I started as far as I could tell all options were working. I started outside harbour, one crew member was transferred when I returned to port etc. But I am now in my 17th patrol and I am not seeing any of the ticked features since my first patrol. I have had the same crew (not that I'm minding much as they are pretty seasoned now) but always start in harbour - these are the clear indicators as most of the other options like seasonal waves etc are hard to gauge if working or not.

Maybe SailorSteve has an answer as he is the fundi on this program
Your seventeenth patrol! That should be a tip-off in itself. Playing with "Realistic career length" set, I don't recall ever getting beyond 6-7 patrols before BdU puts my guy out to grass, no matter how successful.

I'd like to guess that it was an artifact of the auto-rollback. For reasons of excess caution, I got into the habit of playing with manual rollback. (Yes, I understand and accept the risks.) But, prior to that, I did at least one career with auto-rollback, and was sent to the school boats about March, 1941.

What OS are you guys using? Any common thread there? And where is your SH3 game folder? Not in Program Files, I trust?

I'd also suggest trying a career with manual rollback, just to eliminate that as a possible problem area.
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-14, 01:25 PM   #5
desirableroasted
Grey Wolf

Thank you for the advice:

Auto rollback is checked, but I have always done that.
WIN7, but that is also not new.
SH3 is installed under Steam in the program files. I have not had an issue with that before, but certainly worth looking into.

I probably will not get back to t his before next weekend, but I appreciate any and all advice, and will keep you posted.
Old 08-10-14, 01:40 PM   #6
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Quote:
Thank you for the advice:

Auto rollback is checked, but I have always done that.
WIN7, but that is also not new.
SH3 is installed under Steam in the program files. I have not had an issue with that before, but certainly worth looking into.

I probably will not get back to t his before next weekend, but I appreciate any and all advice, and will keep you posted.
Aha! Another example of the fact that the Steam version does not behave in the same way as the publisher's version, which is what all other vendors sell. It isn't that the Steam version doesn't work, but it does seem to require different handling. Maybe check out Desertstriker's tutorials on YouTube that have detailed instructions for how to set up the Steam version for trouble-free performance.

Has anyone ever experienced this problem who doesn't use the Steam version?
Old 08-10-14, 01:51 PM   #7
desirableroasted
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWalleye View Post
Aha! Another example of the fact that the Steam version does not behave in the same way as the publisher's version, which is what all other vendors sell. It isn't that the Steam version doesn't work, but it does seem to require different handling. Maybe check out Desertstriker's tutorials on YouTube that have detailed instructions for how to set up the Steam version for trouble-free performance.

Good point, Walleye, and I will look into it. I am dismayed, though, that the past two installs, also steam, worked fine.

I will research during the week. And dont mind doing a complete rip out and reinstall if that is what it takes.
Old 08-10-14, 02:02 PM   #8
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Quote:
Good point, Walleye, and I will look into it. I am dismayed, though, that the past two installs, also steam, worked fine.

I will research during the week. And dont mind doing a complete rip out and reinstall if that is what it takes.
IF a complete reinstall will fix the problem, instead of just resetting things. If it craps out again after 2 or 3 patrols, that could get awfully frustrating! Is there some way we could flag this issue and see how many others have encountered it? Maybe a pattern might show up. I pointed a finger at Steam, but other folks use Steam without this problem. And SH3C. And Win&. And AFAIK, all of them together.

I hope the gang here at SubSim can help you guys figure out a permanent solution. Something like this could be a real buzzkill. Especially considering how much SH3C adds to the game. Best if luck with it!
Old 08-10-14, 04:47 PM   #9
Andrewsdad
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 80

FWIW When I start a new career I always use SH3C even for the first "qualifying" patrol. I have never started apart from Commander and have had no troubles.....

Good Luck, Sir

AD
Andrewsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-14, 08:52 PM   #10
desirableroasted
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewsdad View Post
FWIW When I start a new career I always use SH3C even for the first "qualifying" patrol. I have never started apart from Commander and have had no troubles.....

Good Luck, Sir

AD
Yeah, I did not make myself clear. I meant the first run after the complete new install.
Old 08-10-14, 10:16 PM   #11
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewsdad View Post

Good Luck, Sir

AD
I tried it. Did the first patrol with just SH3, then used SH3C for the rest. Couldn't get it to fail in 15 (short!) patrols! That's not causing the problem.
Old 08-14-14, 07:42 AM   #12
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Downloads: 81

I know I've posted a similar issue about the steam version years ago. I had to either leave autorollback checked or unchecked. I dont remember which now.

Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-14, 04:31 PM   #13
storm-petrel
Mate

Downloads: 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWalleye View Post

Using a genuine CD version of SH3 / GWX I have encountered similar problems to those mentioned.

I always check the Commander 'automatic rollback' box ; and leave it as default. I have noticed on several occasions that some of the options and mods seem to work randomly.

For instance despite checking 'start patrol at sea' option in Commander, it does not always do this, and I'll have to begin from the harbour.

I have the 'all-weather guns' mod enabled (via JScones excellent add-on) but this again does not always work for some reason.

Ironically I have never encountered a problem when saving a game when submerged or near enemy shipping.

My laptop runs Windows 8 (hate it) and the other thing is it may take several attempts before I can load SH3, without a warning stating that the program has stopped working.

I have absolutely no idea as to what may be causing any of this...so I'm sorry that I cannot be of any help.
storm-petrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-14, 12:41 AM   #14
desirableroasted
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm-petrel View Post
Using a genuine CD version of SH3 / GWX I have encountered similar problems to those mentioned... [SNIP] I have absolutely no idea as to what may be causing any of this...so I'm sorry that I cannot be of any help.
No, I appreciate it Petrel... any insight helps!
Old 08-15-14, 04:59 AM   #15
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Where is SH3 Commander installed? It too has a setting file (SH3Cmdr.ini) in it's root folder, and also a !BACKUP folder in it. If it is somewhere inside the Program Files folder than Windows might object to saving those settings and files there.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote