SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-15-13, 10:40 PM   #16
irish1958
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 320
Uploads: 11

NYGM mod uses renown in a more realistic way as a measure of your progress. All upgrades are available and do not require renown. However there is a waiting period of (I think) three months to get each piece installed so you do pay a penalty as you would in real life during the war.
What I did (using gw gold) was to make a mod which I can activate via JSGME to incorporate the NYGM renown ideas into my game. I then use renown to tract my progress in the war. I play DID at 100% and have never made it past early 1943 (June).
Old 02-16-13, 04:33 AM   #17
Gustav Schiebert
Sparky

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by HW3 View Post
I'm back and had a look. It's going to take someone smarter than me to find it because I couldn't find it.

Thanks for looking! Appreciate that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish1958 View Post
NYGM mod uses renown in a more realistic way as a measure of your progress. All upgrades are available and do not require renown. However there is a waiting period of (I think) three months to get each piece installed so you do pay a penalty as you would in real life during the war.
What I did (using gw gold) was to make a mod which I can activate via JSGME to incorporate the NYGM renown ideas into my game. I then use renown to tract my progress in the war. I play DID at 100% and have never made it past early 1943 (June).
That sounds ideal, is that mod available for download or is that one you've done yourself?

GWX 3 + OLC Gold + 100% Realism + Commander

"Attack! Always attack!"
Gustav Schiebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-13, 11:57 AM   #18
Gustav Schiebert
Sparky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
I always find it entertaining ... attempts to be "realistic".
Think that's the beauty of the game, and a huge amount of credit must also go of course to the modders out there - as well as this forum I suppose. There are now so many mods and tools out there that each player can make the game their own, and I think SH3 handles pretty well as a full-blown simulator, arcadey-style easy game, or anything in between depending on the realism settings and your own flavour of mod soup.

When you talk of neutrals being sunk, the only one I knew of was Kplt Cremer sinking the Spreewald, for which he was court martialled and aquitted. Were there any others you know of? Whenever I'm reading books on U-boat commanders I'm always interested in those who found themselves on the wrong side of the Navy for one reason or another.

I go for No Fatigue as well for exactly your reasons. The rotation system was (and is) designed so that no-one was/is ever tired.

GWX 3 + OLC Gold + 100% Realism + Commander

"Attack! Always attack!"
Gustav Schiebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-13, 12:36 PM   #19
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

If you go through this list you'll find quite a few neutrals that were sunk by u-boats.
http://www.uboat.net/allies/merchants/listing.php
Old 02-16-13, 03:47 PM   #20
irish1958
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav Schiebert View Post
Thanks for looking! Appreciate that.

That sounds ideal, is that mod available for download or is that one you've done yourself?
Personal mod; check your PM.
Old 02-18-13, 04:42 PM   #21
Karl Heinrich
Soundman

Downloads: 60
Uploads: 2

Could I get a copy of that too Irish if you don't mind? Thanks very much
Old 02-18-13, 05:08 PM   #22
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish1958 View Post
Personal mod; check your PM.
Nice one

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-13, 10:58 AM   #23
irish1958
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Heinrich View Post
Could I get a copy of that too Irish if you don't mind? Thanks very much
Check your PM.
Old 02-19-13, 11:07 AM   #24
Karl Heinrich
Soundman

Downloads: 60
Uploads: 2

Thank you very much, sir
Old 02-19-13, 02:25 PM   #25
Marcello
Planesman

Downloads: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav Schiebert View Post
I agree, it is fun to try and earn all the upgrades through the renown system. But I changed the basic.cfg file to make all the subs/upgrades cost 1 renown for two reasons:
  • I have realistic, real-world crew rotations (I do them manually and voluntarily), which means I have to spend large amounts of renown replacing officers)
  • Also I think it's less realistic to have to 'earn' your upgrades like that, they would be fitted as they became available with no regard to a commander's tonnage or 'renown'. Even the ultimate SH3 reward, the Type XXI, was not given to the top aces. The only operational cruise was carried out by Adalbert Schnee, who sunk about 90K tonnes and was 37th on the list of aces - he probably wouldn't have had 20K renown on SH3.
But that's just my two cents - I play for a realistic game, and people who are more interested in the fun experience might well use the renown system as an extra dimension to add a bit more reward into the game.
I agree. Upgrades, for the most part, were not something u-boat commanders were jousting with each other to get first. RWRs (Metox, Wanze etc.) were the object of a fair amount of paranoia and suspicion through the war; the snorkel was not very well received at first either (until it was actually proven to be effective at least).
KDB had better coverage than GHG, but less range IIRC and greater vulnerability to pressure and battle damage; likewise increased anti aircraft armament reduced underwater speed and caused stability issues. Torpedo loadouts were mandated from BdU, so it is not like Mr. Ace could pick as many Wren as he liked while Average Joe would get none.
Marcello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-14, 02:26 AM   #26
Riccardo1975
Gunner

Great thread! Think I'll make the same changes. Neutrals =0 and upgrades/boats cost 1 renown. Just got back to Kaleun after sinking a Ceramic and a Brooklyn class and at this rate I wont be able to afford a D2 then a XXI....

Subsim to the rescue again!

Is active sonar any use?
Riccardo1975 is offline   Reply With Quote