Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-15-19, 09:40 AM   #3361
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly View Post
Enough hate brewed in the cesspools of the internet more or less.

His aim was to simply kill muslims because of what has taken place in Europe over the years. Killing innocent people in NZ to avenge the deaths of innocent people in Europe sure makes sense...

I'm sure the Internet is part of it. The Internet has provided a forum where rejects from society can get together to spread hate. Subsim is part of the internet as well and yet, we treat each other respectively. We all come from different parts of the world and have found not only a commonality of experiences but also common ground in almost everything. I truly believe Subsim and it's members really are the better part of the Internet and perhaps a model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder View Post
Indeed....

Some people are just stupid beyond belief.

That may well be the understatement of the year.

Last edited by Commander Wallace; 03-15-19 at 09:56 AM.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-19, 09:49 AM   #3362
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

It is now up to 49 murdered and 49 injured ...

Evil is evil ... I suspect the devil is on both sides in this one, but I wonder why he chosed New Zealand of all places. A very peaceful country this is their first terrorist alert ever.
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-19, 10:04 AM   #3363
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
I wonder why he chosed New Zealand of all places. A very peaceful country this is their first terrorist alert ever.
He went to NZ to train and plan his attack to someplace else, but soon discoverd that NZ is "invaded" too and as such a "target rich environment".
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-19, 11:03 AM   #3364
Deepseadiver
Torpedoman

Downloads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Wallace View Post
I'm sure the Internet is part of it. The Internet has provided a forum where rejects from society can get together to spread hate. Subsim is part of the internet as well and yet, we treat each other respectively. We all come from different parts of the world and have found not only a commonality of experiences but also common ground in almost everything. I truly believe Subsim and it's members really are the better part of the Internet and perhaps a model.

That may well be the understatement of the year.

well said.
Deepseadiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-19, 01:06 PM   #3365
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Evil, sick, demented terrorist, this is terrible. How does one express sympathy for the families without resorting to shallow cliches, I don't know. I'm sorry this happened and this guy should be executed.
Old 03-15-19, 01:14 PM   #3366
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Agreed. Shouldn't this get moved to the terrorist thread?

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-19, 03:29 PM   #3367
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

No doubt what they did, there is no excuse whatsoever and they should receive strongest punishment there is in NZ.

Nevertheless I am so tired of our media and politicians

When it's an Islamic fanatics who commit terror

We keep on hearing:
It's have nothing to do with Islam
And
You can't generalize, just because one or more Islamic lunatics commit terror

On the other hand

If the terror is commit by some far-rightwing person or people
Our media and politicians

We hear:
This is typical rightwing….they are all potential terrorist.

This makes me sad.

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-19, 03:30 PM   #3368
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

What is surprising is that it took so long until a mass murdering of this scale took place at the other end of the spectrum of Islam-Nonislam relations. Just imagine what number of such killing frenzies have been carried out by Muslim terrorists in the past twenty years in the West, against Western people. One would have assumed that the shockwave of these brings up a desire for retaliation much earlier than just after roughly 2 decades. The pendulum that swings left, must also swing right. The question maybe is: what took it so long to do so? Its amazing that it took this long.
Old 03-15-19, 03:52 PM   #3369
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

@mapuc
No, meanwhile it is that everyone blames muslims for everything, so to speak the new international islam conspiracy overtaking the jewish world conspiracy.
It is not new that right wing haters like Nigel Farage or Arron Banks or Victor Orban blame jews again, and muslims, seems they cannot decide whom to hate more (whatever serves their agenda). The lines between the classic "left" and "right" are being blurred, and this happens intentionally. People have no orientation anymore.
But whatever the background: crazies are crazies, you can call this terrorism or right-wing or left-wing or racist or religious, it is all human failure.

What is new is that those creeps get far more media coverage than in former times, thanks to the internet and the "social" (lmao) media, who let everyone live in his own bubble of expectations and prejudice, you can choose your own sickness easily. You obviously also did.

Quote:
This makes me sad.
It makes you hate, without thinking.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-19, 05:49 PM   #3370
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

Generalization is a common human weakness. It is a form of Confirmation Bias. We see it here in this forum a lot.

It gives some people comfort and helps them deal with things that are difficult to deal with.

And yes, it does get tiresome. But it is not going to stop.
Old 03-15-19, 05:50 PM   #3371
Kptlt. Neuerburg
Admiral

Downloads: 54

Honestly I fail to see anything even resembling logic, if logic can even be applied here as to the point of this senseless act of terrorism. This is what happens when people try to "take revenge" for what's happened to others is you end up stooping to the same level of those who committed the acts of terror in the first place.

And now some are trying to place the blame on the infamous YouTuber "PewDiePie".
Old 03-16-19, 01:10 AM   #3372
Sean C
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
What is surprising is that it took so long until a mass murdering of this scale took place at the other end of the spectrum of Islam-Nonislam relations. [...] The question maybe is: what took it so long to do so? Its amazing that it took this long.

A man murders 49 innocent people, seriously injures another 49 and your response is "What took so long?"

Really?

I don't know ... maybe it was human decency. Compassion. Rationality. The desire to be the better person - not to become what you hate. Logic. Or any one of a thousand other reasons not to commit mass murder.

Look, I don't like Islamic extremists or terrorists any more than the next guy. And let me be clear that I believe these types of people should be "terminated with extreme prejudice". But it has been estimated* that between 15% to 25% of Muslims are "radical". Given the fact that there are [or were around 2014] roughly 1.2 billion Muslims in the world, that means that there are between 180 million and 300 million radical Muslims. Sounds like a lot, right?

But that also means that there are between 900 million and 1.02 billion non-radical Muslims in the world. Odds are at least 75% that the 98 victims in NZ were peaceful, innocent people. And we know for sure that, at the time they were gunned down, they were not hurting or bothering anyone. Until we have evidence otherwise, they should be presumed innocent. Some of them were children.

I understand what you meant to say. I really do. But the fact that this sort of thing has not and does not happen more frequently is not only a good thing ... it is to be expected. Regardless of what the media might have you believe, I think the majority of people on this planet are rational, compassionate beings. At least, that's the kind of people I meet most of the time. (In my travels all over the world, from the U.S. to Germany to Japan and places in-between.) And it doesn't seem to matter what religious or political background they have.

Two wrongs do not make a right. If we lose sight of our morality, we will become nothing more than animals ... or perhaps, even worse than them.

Old 03-16-19, 06:45 AM   #3373
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathaniel B. View Post
A man murders 49 innocent people, seriously injures another 49 and your response is "What took so long?"
Trying that hard to give my post a spin? Claiming later you understood me? I think you most likely know damn well what I meant and said. This ^ it was not. And I do not understand why that reply of yours was needed.

Humans are emotional, irrational beings, and if one group notorioulsy harasses another group and commits gruesome crimes and atrocities against it and street shootings and mass murderings and terror attacks like we saw it in Madrid, London, Brussel, Paris, and so many other locations over the past 18 years since 9/11, then it is indeed surprising that this religious-political ideology-driven hate of the one gets replied by the others only this late with an according desire for retaliation, revenge, this time not based on religious demands and a prohet, but on racism and poltical radicalization. The latter may have been fundamentally helped by the strikes recieved of the past. Like Islam is a political, radically fundamentalist ideology, a certain dose of racism is part of the human nature and Nazi groups and extreme rightwinger are part of pratcically all Wetsern societies and societies beyond the West (even in Israel there are antisemit Neonazis, would you believe that). And so one had to expect that such groupos would turn villent much earlier in repoly to the terror strikes of the past years, the radical push to the politicla left, the Islamophilia of the Wetsenr public and the enforced mass mirgation from Muslim countries into the Western countries. Yes, it took surprisingly long for such a retaliatory act being carried out. I would have expected some nutties tickin out earlier. Years earlier.

And thats why I posted that pendulum. What swings left, must swing right. The real miracle is that it swung right this late, and not already earlier. I certainly have expected to see something like this in reply to the Muslim terror in the West taking, and I certainly have expected to see it already many years earlier.

Different to you I neither beleive in the strength of Western people/societies, nor do i believe in the good in people in general. I believe in some good in some people, that is my empirical life experience.

Last edited by Skybird; 03-16-19 at 06:58 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-19, 08:55 AM   #3374
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
Agreed. Shouldn't this get moved to the terrorist thread?
Agreed, thread moved.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-19, 08:57 AM   #3375
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Uploads: 13

Australian Brenton Tarrant, 28, was brought to the dock in a white prison shirt and handcuffs. Further charges are expected to be made against him.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-47590685

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
terrorism