SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-16-12, 11:49 PM   #571
magic452
Sea Lord

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

Welcome back Davey, was wondering where you got off to.
Very nice work there.

Magic

Reported lost 11 Feb. 1942
Signature by depthtok33l
magic452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-12, 12:50 PM   #572
soopaman2
Der Alte

Downloads: 61

Seemed the most appropriate place to ask. As the question I ask somewhat relates to Pacific sub Ops.

In the movie Run Silent Run Deep what is the sub type used.

I don't recall it mentioned but it appears to be a Baloa perhaps? I am unsure.

They all look like type VII's to me!

Yeah I do ask dumb questions sometimes.

Also I must say...Wow what a great film! I was born too late, and missed out on alot of cinematic genius. Driven by pure acting.

I am stuck with Micheal Bay/George Lucas/Steven Spielberg types who spend more on the CGI, than the acting or script.

-Winston Churchill-

The most fascinating man in the world.
soopaman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-12, 04:08 PM   #573
Hinrich Schwab
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by soopaman2 View Post
Seemed the most appropriate place to ask. As the question I ask somewhat relates to Pacific sub Ops.

In the movie Run Silent Run Deep what is the sub type used.

I don't recall it mentioned but it appears to be a Baloa perhaps? I am unsure.

They all look like type VII's to me!

Yeah I do ask dumb questions sometimes.

Also I must say...Wow what a great film! I was born too late, and missed out on alot of cinematic genius. Driven by pure acting.

I am stuck with Micheal Bay/George Lucas/Steven Spielberg types who spend more on the CGI, than the acting or script.
You are correct that it is Balao Class. The USS Nerka was a cancelled Balao Classe boat project in real life. In the movie, the USS Redfish played the Nerka.
Hinrich Schwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-12, 01:41 AM   #574
Mister_Spok
Seaman

Downloads: 87

Mornin' sailors!

I have a question regarding real life use of S-boats. I had a hard time searching any useful info on Sugar boats, so my last try is to ask here.

Due to pre-war doctrine, skippers, if operated in 500nm radius of enemy air bases, stayed underwater for daytime. So, did S-boats have that much renewable oxygen supply do remain submerged for 8-12 hours? I mean - RENEWABLE supply.

P.S. I'm already here, so I couldn't not ask - how long S-boats could stay on patrol, until their food and fresh water supply depledes?
Mister_Spok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-12, 04:28 PM   #575
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

I can only cite one data point.

On 1 Sep 20 the SS-110 (USS S-5) sank during a dive. The crew was able to blow the stern out of the water, but the crew had to cut a hole in though the skin to get air inside. It took them 36 hours to cut a 3" hole through the hull to get air inside.

So for that one data point, the crew could survive at least 36 hours in an S-boat.

http://www.hampton.lib.nh.us/hampton...sofsqualus.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_S-5_%28SS-110%29
Old 05-17-12, 08:30 PM   #576
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJ576 View Post
Comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated! Enjoy!

Dave
Ahoy Dave! I'm sounding the alert here! over in a neighboring thread we have a couple of submariners discussing passive TMA. Look at the middle and toward the end of http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=191882. One of them claims that WWII subs did that.

Can you come up with any target tracked during the war by any sub using passive TMA techniques? I'm not talking about laying down a track by visual, active sonar or radar observations and just using the sonar bearing to fix the target's position along the track, I assume that was done quite often. I mean total TMA derived target course and speed accurate enough to shoot by.

We'd appreciate any info.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-12, 01:28 AM   #577
Carthaginian
Loader

Downloads: 19
Default Question for the Experts

If any of you gentlemen were to purchase the following books, which of them (besides all of them) would you recommend getting. At 17, I was one signature away from getting into the Silent Service (Dad wanted me to go to college, which only lead to me being a ground-pounder when the shooting started) and though it didn't happen, I've always been fascinated by submarines... hence my being here.

So... I am planning on buying the most informative version of this book, and there are three: Fleet Boat, GUPPY and 1963 (some nuke stuff). Which would you go for- and why?

The Fleet Submarine

GUPPY

Carthaginian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-12, 03:50 AM   #578
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Downloads: 139

Go with the Fleetsub book.

---------------------

Hylander_1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-12, 01:18 PM   #579
Carthaginian
Loader

Downloads: 19

Hylander,

I'm interested in knowing, mostly, if anyone here who has been through BESS can tell me more of what is in each version of the book, and which book would be the most insightful. I will- regardless- purchase both the Fleet Boat book AND the color plate book later on... but for the first purchase, I want the one that can teach me the most.
Carthaginian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-12, 08:24 AM   #580
RDNK_PRD
Nub

Downloads: 99

"The Department of the Navy consists of two major components: the United States Navy and the United States Marine Corps. Yes, to their everlasting chagrin, the mighty Marines are actually a part of the DON."

Ah you had to go and say it didn't you, one of the worst kept secrets of the USMC. LOL

Remember as Marines we hit the beach running but we had to float to get there.
Old 07-25-12, 01:24 AM   #581
Gino
Pacific Sub Expert

Downloads: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carthaginian View Post
Hylander,

I'm interested in knowing, mostly, if anyone here who has been through BESS can tell me more of what is in each version of the book, and which book would be the most insightful. I will- regardless- purchase both the Fleet Boat book AND the color plate book later on... but for the first purchase, I want the one that can teach me the most.
Check the HNSA website. There you can find the Fleetsub manual:
http://www.hnsa.org/doc/fleetsub/index.htm
I would not buy the color plate book. It's waaaayyy to small, and you can download those plates from the website. Print them on a 11x17 or A3 format and they look decent.

Groetjes,
Old 08-07-12, 03:21 AM   #582
stanger
Engineer

Downloads: 84

I have a question (or two) about antennas: 1st: how it should be called? On one of the plans (Sargo or Pampanito) I saw its called "wing antenna", on others - its just antenna. Or it doesnt matter much?
2nd:

One of the antennas is raised; and attached to - if I can see right - to air search radar antenna, but at the same time, I didnt see it like that on ww2 photos. Was it some peace time thing, or the crew could take that cable, attach it when needed only? And if it was attached to SD antenna, was it moving with it?
stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-12, 04:29 AM   #583
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Downloads: 139

Wing antenna, antenna, it doesn't really matter, unless you wish to speak of a certain one on the boat. And depending on what part of the country a guy came, it could be called an aerial too. Just depends on what they called it where he came from.

For the second question, do you have a pic, or link to one, it might help.

Sometimes enterprizing sailors would rig up things that only that particular boat had. Just depended on their skills and abilities to make things.

---------------------

Hylander_1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-12, 05:58 AM   #584
stanger
Engineer

Downloads: 84

Thanks for the answer.
No, I dont have a pic, I was doing a little study of fleet boats plans found here, and noticed this little detail. I did look at photos I have on my HDD (over 200 of them ), and didnt find anything, I will scan through some web sites, maybe will find something.

Maybe this one?
http://www.navsource.org/archives/08/0817212.jpg

Heres too:
http://navsource.org/archives/08/233/0823317.jpg

Last edited by stanger; 08-07-12 at 06:40 AM.
stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-13, 06:10 PM   #585
Subnuts
The Old Man

Downloads: 14

I was checking the San Francisco Maritime Museum's website today to see if they had any new material, and I stumbled across a bit of a goldmine in the process.

http://www.maritime.org/tech/drawings/index.htm

This site has dozens of original Bureau of Ships construction drawings for various Balao-class boats. The quality of scans varies from excellent to unreadable, but I can see spending hours studying these blueprints.

Subnuts is offline   Reply With Quote