SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS > Mods Workshop for Cold Waters
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-31-17, 09:38 AM   #211
Ramius
Commander

Downloads: 43
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosphereIX View Post
the crashes were before and after unfortunately, and all I changed really were some simple stats...

I was using the Papa class.

Of course I am using the latest version. 68 campaign, US subs in the reference pages when classifying are white boxes.
OK, just wanting to make sure. The Russian campaign in theory is another mod added in.

I can check the campaign with the Papa later tonight (since i made that one lol)

And regarding the white boxes - I thought you meant the sonar signatures (those ones I did update). The vessel profile images (pictures) I'm still in the process of sorting out.
Unfortunately, it seems to be forgotten about when making new units that they need all the extra things

If you look at Training Mission 8 it should should you what I still need to add. Might be missing a couple of units.
Old 07-31-17, 10:07 AM   #212
CaptainX3
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 6

Quote:
Russian campaign still often crashes with after-action screen - it is blank

sank a carrier, what a chase, and then I have to crash the game

happened 3x in the last hour
We spotted this bug on the Discord server yesterday evening. It happens in all four campaigns, and it happens with the new subs only, original vanilla US subs work fine.

We look for hours, and could not find the cause of this bug. I have no idea what's wrong. At this point, I feel my only option is to take apart the entire mod and remove everything that has been added since the update yesterday, because we verified that's when the bug started.

New Playable Subs & More - A Mod For Cold Waters

https://github.com/CaptainX3/CW-Playable-Subs

"We'll settle this the old Navy way... the first guy to die loses!"
CaptainX3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-17, 10:31 AM   #213
CaptainX3
Electrician's Mate

Quote:
I play your mod all the time, I want to get elite campaigns in all classes

I had to do quite a bit of fixing on my end, some things were OCD:

1. fixed lists of available subs for 84 and 68 campaigns so period appropriate subs are only available to play / be played against. Special note: There is no Permit 68 or Sturgeon 68 in the vessels file.

2. standardized all weapon warhead weights to lbs, and fixed some speeds and other stats of the weapons

3. changed over the GW and EA SSBNs to Mk37s for the 68 campaign - quite a fright when I got shot at by 3 mk48s in my Papa!

4. Fixed available torpedo types for certain classes that are more accurate with their historical loadout - some ancient subs were given USET 80s or Mk48s etc.

5. US sub profiles are missing in the Russian campaign in 68? I get a white screen.

Loving the re-balanced sound profiles - just wondering how you calibrated them?

That is all I noticed for now

Thanks for all the hard work sir.
To respond to each point:

1. Yeah, this is up to each individual player, I just designed the mod so everyone has all options, it's easy enough to edit to suit your own preferences here. Also, I just checked the vessel list, the Permit and Sturgeon 68 subs are in there. They're not in the mod override folder because they haven't been changed from vanilla, so the game is just using the original vanilla files for those.

2. All of the weapons I added were in lbs, but remember that a larger portion of the mod was sent in by contributors, who may not have used lbs. I don't have the time to check every file sent in for accuracy, otherwise I might as well design it all myself. Only way to prevent this would be to stop incoming contributions.

3. Those are from the Russian Campaign mod, so I didn't touch them nor are they balanced with everything else.

4. I originally tried to do this but people complained that they wanted the option of all torp types on all subs, so I tried my best to do that.

5. The Russian Campaign author didn't bother adding them, I suppose.

As for the sound profiles, one of the game devs sent me the numbers they plan on using for the upcoming 1.7 update, along with the actual sound scale used by the game (most mods are way off on this scale) and I based the numbers off of those factors.

Old 07-31-17, 11:10 AM   #214
aaken
Planesman

Downloads: 42
Uploads: 1

I think I am responsible for putting mk48 on George Washington and Ethan Allen SSBNs, sorry. Will correct when I get back from vacation

Inviato dal mio SM-A300FU utilizzando Tapatalk
Old 07-31-17, 06:37 PM   #215
CaptainX3
Electrician's Mate

MOD UPDATED!

Old 07-31-17, 09:36 PM   #216
ChaosphereIX
Mate

Downloads: 38

great fix! Thanks for your hard work sir.

Any way to modify all wire guided torps to have STRAIGHT and LEVEL options for their search patterns/depth keeping? Especially annoying with the Russian torps that only go up or down, and side to side. A simple fix.

Additionally, the wp_65-76 torpedo [Whale] is an anti-ship wake homing torpedo, but the mod has it as dumb firing? Got a surprise when trying to attack a carrier in my Oscar. Might I suggest adding these parameters to it?

HomeSettings=PASSIVE
AttackSettings=STRAIGHT,SNAKE,LEFT,RIGHT
DepthSettings=SHALLOW

Also, any way to add the UGST torpedo for the Akula, Yasen classes? It is essentially a longer range, wire guided USET-80, although sources are conflicting as to the exact stats of the torp. For the timeline and to balance it vs the ADCAP, perhaps take the following stats?

WeaponType=TORPEDO
Warhead=660
SurfaceLaunched=FALSE
WireGuided=TRUE
WireBreakOnLaunchProbability=0.01
WireBreakSpeedThreshold=30
RangeInYards=54000
RunSpeed=40
ActiveRunSpeed=50
TurnRate=20
SensorAngles=80,20
SensorRange=3000
WeaponNoiseValues=110,230
MaxPitchAngle=25
HomeSettings=PASSIVE,ACTIVE
DepthSettings=LEVEL,SHALLOW,DEEP
MinCameraDistance=0.5

Last edited by ChaosphereIX; 07-31-17 at 10:06 PM.
ChaosphereIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-17, 01:43 PM   #217
CaptainX3
Electrician's Mate

Quote:
great fix! Thanks for your hard work sir.

Any way to modify all wire guided torps to have STRAIGHT and LEVEL options for their search patterns/depth keeping? Especially annoying with the Russian torps that only go up or down, and side to side. A simple fix.

Additionally, the wp_65-76 torpedo [Whale] is an anti-ship wake homing torpedo, but the mod has it as dumb firing? Got a surprise when trying to attack a carrier in my Oscar. Might I suggest adding these parameters to it?

HomeSettings=PASSIVE
DepthSettings=SHALLOW

Also, any way to add the UGST torpedo for the Akula, Yasen classes? It is essentially a longer range, wire guided USET-80, although sources are conflicting as to the exact stats of the torp. For the timeline and to balance it vs the ADCAP, perhaps take the following stats?

WeaponType=TORPEDO
Warhead=660
SurfaceLaunched=FALSE
WireGuided=TRUE
WireBreakOnLaunchProbability=0.01
WireBreakSpeedThreshold=30
RangeInYards=54000
RunSpeed=40
ActiveRunSpeed=50
TurnRate=20
SensorAngles=80,20
SensorRange=3000
WeaponNoiseValues=110,230
MaxPitchAngle=25
HomeSettings=PASSIVE,ACTIVE
DepthSettings=LEVEL,SHALLOW,DEEP
MinCameraDistance=0.5
Excellent idea, will be in today's update.

Old 08-01-17, 02:43 PM   #218
CaptainX3
Electrician's Mate

MOD UPDATED AGAIN! LOL

Old 08-02-17, 07:33 AM   #219
ChaosphereIX
Mate

Hello CaptainX,

A few things I noticed with the latest mod:

1. Some torpedo and missile stats are wrong still, sorry [eg. F17, Exocet]. Some missiles are a little too slow, warheads are still either in kg so warhead is too small, to name a few things. If you need corrected files let me know. All the stats can come from Navweaps or Wiki.

2. Please add in STRAIGHT and LEVEL to the other torpedoes so we dont have to do it every mod update, thanks!

3. The Yasen Proj 885M can go 35 knots max, 28 knots is for it it move about silently. It also could carry a whopping 40 P800 [P700 in game] missiles [10x4]. Easy fixes.

4. Russian campaign still crashing. 68 and 84. Papa class, sink carrier group, leave battle...then blank screen with no text or buttons etc. Happens every time now. Get sunk in Yasen. Blank screen.

5. Also, CWIS came in 1980 for both the RUS and US, not in 1968 IIRC. So I guess "68" versions of vessels need to be made for Essex and the other warships...that is why they were so scared in the 60s of the SSGNs, and why Phalanx etc. were invented.

6. Please adjust the campaign selection so that only period appropriate subs are selectable? I am sure you would get no complaints from anyone, as most would want accuracy over easy [Seawolf vs Novembers all day? Where is the challenge?].

7. This is for Ramius I guess: Shouldn't the Papa class representation be the Charlie II model, since they are very similar subs. Perhaps model twin screws on a Charlie II? An Oscar is a little huge for a Papa representation no?

That is all for now thanks CaptainX.

Last edited by ChaosphereIX; 08-02-17 at 08:07 AM.
Old 08-02-17, 01:00 PM   #220
Ramius
Commander

Downloads: 43

Quote:
Hello CaptainX,

1. Some torpedo and missile stats are wrong still, sorry [eg. F17, Exocet]. Some missiles are a little too slow, warheads are still either in kg so warhead is too small, to name a few things. If you need corrected files let me know. All the stats can come from Navweaps or Wiki.

7. This is for Ramius I guess: Shouldn't the Papa class representation be the Charlie II model, since they are very similar subs. Perhaps model twin screws on a Charlie II? An Oscar is a little huge for a Papa representation no?

F-17

I am have gone with the 1988 version, so the stats are CORRECT.

Exocet (SM-39)
http://weaponsystems.net/weaponsyste...%20Exocet.html
ok, the warhead is wrong rest is right.

Regading the Papa, I don't think twin screws work on models without them, hence why I had to go with the Oscar. I might play around once I get the time, but its not high on my things to do list.
Old 08-02-17, 01:20 PM   #221
CaptainX3
Electrician's Mate

Quote:
Hello CaptainX,

2. Please add in STRAIGHT and LEVEL to the other torpedoes so we dont have to do it every mod update, thanks!

3. The Yasen Proj 885M can go 35 knots max, 28 knots is for it it move about silently. It also could carry a whopping 40 P800 [P700 in game] missiles [10x4]. Easy fixes.

4. Russian campaign still crashing. 68 and 84. Papa class, sink carrier group, leave battle...then blank screen with no text or buttons etc. Happens every time now. Get sunk in Yasen. Blank screen.

5. Also, CWIS came in 1980 for both the RUS and US, not in 1968 IIRC. So I guess "68" versions of vessels need to be made for Essex and the other warships...that is why they were so scared in the 60s of the SSGNs, and why Phalanx etc. were invented.

6. Please adjust the campaign selection so that only period appropriate subs are selectable? I am sure you would get no complaints from anyone, as most would want accuracy over easy [Seawolf vs Novembers all day? Where is the challenge?].

1. I'm not the one who designed most of the new torpedoes and weapons, you'll have to contact the authors who made those and ask them about accuracy... but every person's opinion on accuracy is different, that's why I stopped designing weapons and classes personally, because I got tired of everyone telling me I was wrong no matter what I did. I nearly stopped working on the mod because of it. Not everything has to be 100% realistic or accurate... it's a game, enjoy yourself.

2. Same answer as above... But I don't have the time to go through every single weapon and verify its stats... as long as it works, that's all I'm concerned with. if you'd like to correct all of the weapons, and send the weapons.txt file to me, then I'll include it... at least until someone says that you're wrong and it needs to be changed again LOL.

3. Now as for sub stats, THOSE are extremely important because they directly affect gameplay. (FYI, the warhead setting on the weapons does nothing as far as I can tell, the weapons seem to do the same damage regardless of what you set the number to), but sub stats are an entirely different story. And with the Yasen, you're correct - I misread the Wikipedia entry. I will definitely fix that.

4. The only option I have at this point to fix that is to remove the Russian campaign from the mod. I have done everything else I can think of to fix it. It'll be up to the campaign author to fix it if he can, and he's on vacation for the next 9 or 10 days... so I can leave it in the mod or remove it at this point, those are the only options.

5. No way am I doing something like that LOL... that's all on the devs. I don't mess with surface ships. They're exactly as the devs designed them. The ones in the mod were done by other authors to add extra options, such as the US ships for the Russian campaign. But making 68 versions of all vessels and then editing the campaign to change those would be a massive project, one which I don't have time to take on personally.

6. If I do this, then I am stopping contributions to the mod, because it's becoming too much hassle for me to sort out all the new subs being sent in and which ones are 84 and which ones are 68 because no one gives me info on what they send me. I spent hours yesterday fixing all of the single missions with all kinds of missing stuff and it was a logistical nightmare.

7. Since we're working with a limited number of models, everyone is doing the best they can. We're learning more and more, so things may change over time, but I think all of the contributors have done a damn good job so far.

I also feel the need to point out that nitpicking every little thing is starting to irritate those who contribute to the mod. It's going to cause some of them to stop if it keeps going, myself included. Us modders talk to each other on the Discord channel, and we all know and realize that this is a game, not a simulator, and sometimes you have to balance between realism and gameplay. It will never be 100% accurate and realistic. That's just how it is. It's a game.

Don't get me wrong, there are certain things that we do like to know and need to know, such as my wildly incorrect stats on the Yasen... I totally understand that, and will make the appropriate changes. But admittedly, it is more than slightly annoying when it appears that people grab and update, and instead of playing the game, instantly open the files, and look for anything to criticize. I'm an over-the-road truck driver who works 7 days a week. I get 3 or 4 days off every two weeks. I've been dedicating those days to updating and improving a mod that I do not get paid for.

My point is that if you spot something major, such as the horribly wrong Yasen stats, or the campaign crash bug (which I have now stated I cannot fix) then telling us about those is fine. But seriously, stop nitpicking about stuff like warhead stats (which don't matter anyway)... just play the game and enjoy it.

Old 08-02-17, 02:02 PM   #222
CaptainX3
Electrician's Mate

I've corrected the Yasen stats in the mod, so those who want it can go ahead and download the mod again and it'll be correct.

Old 08-02-17, 06:39 PM   #223
ChaosphereIX
Mate

Thank you CaptainX and Ramius for your hard work, I don't mean to nitpick. I thought you wanted to know anything that was inaccurate.

I will stop, sorry.
Old 08-02-17, 08:41 PM   #224
CaptainX3
Electrician's Mate

Quote:
Thank you CaptainX and Ramius for your hard work, I don't mean to nitpick. I thought you wanted to know anything that was inaccurate.

I will stop, sorry.
Look, I'm not trying to come off as an ass, but dealing with posts here plus messages in the Discord is starting to take its toll. Plus, taking contributions to the mod is turning into a nightmare and a half.

If you have suggestions, I am fine with those, or like I said before, if I have something WAY wrong, then I definitely want to know.

When it comes to stats and numbers, if you see something that is slightly off, best to ignore it, since it's not a big deal. If you see something that's a major problem, like my Yasen stats, please tell me.

Suggestions and major corrections are fine, but it's really no big deal if a warhead is set at 550 instead of 600 or something like that.

Old 08-02-17, 10:49 PM   #225
goldfish716
Sailor man

Downloads: 14

Maybe we should start using github for contributions and versioning. Then you could see suggested changes and approve/disapprove them in seconds. Or have a second person reviewing things and approving changes.
goldfish716 is offline   Reply With Quote