SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-01-07, 05:02 PM   #61
GuillermoZS
Gunner

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimunch
I am running vista 64 ultimate. I also decided to run SH3 (US download edition) .................... My copy is completely legit, I assure you.

This works great and it is easy, easy.

This seems like the only option for vista 64 users, as Ubi has thus far turned a deaf ear to our plight.
Yeah!! You did it man! Works great

..........Read forum rules...........

Thanks!

Last edited by _Seth_; 04-23-07 at 02:54 AM.
GuillermoZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-07, 12:38 PM   #62
Parmenides
Seaman

Downloads: 163

.............read forum rules....

Last edited by _Seth_; 04-23-07 at 02:53 AM.
Parmenides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-07, 10:06 PM   #63
Rilex
Sailor man

Downloads: 0

Vista x64 here.

No need to run in compatibility mode or as Administrator. Only thing to watch out for was to run the 1.4b patch as an Administrator (it didn't prompt me to so it would have never succeeded). At first I was getting a bunch of CTDs etc, but reran the entire setup making sure to launch the 1.4b patch elevated and it worked just fine after that (GWX 1.03).
Rilex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-07, 03:17 PM   #64
Parmenides
Seaman

Downloads: 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilex
Vista x64 here.

No need to run in compatibility mode or as Administrator. Only thing to watch out for was to run the 1.4b patch as an Administrator (it didn't prompt me to so it would have never succeeded). At first I was getting a bunch of CTDs etc, but reran the entire setup making sure to launch the 1.4b patch elevated and it worked just fine after that (GWX 1.03).

Last edited by _Seth_; 04-23-07 at 02:50 AM. Reason: Violation of forum rules
Parmenides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-07, 04:53 PM   #65
Rilex
Sailor man

..............Read forum rules. Do not discuss such issues here.

Last edited by _Seth_; 04-23-07 at 02:51 AM. Reason: Violation of forum rules
Old 04-14-07, 12:29 PM   #66
Chock
Sea Lord

It seems that people are having very different experiences with Vista and SH3, don't know whether this helps, but at least my post adds to the list of experiences and may help people narrow things down:

I can install SH3 from the disk onto Vista (Home Premium 32) on a laptop (the only way I was going to get a copy of Vista at rip-off European prices was to buy a laptop with it preinstalled, effectively making it nearly free of charge, this is as good an excuse as any to buy yourself a laptop I guess).

SH3 in standard unpatched form runs fine, loads slightly faster than on my desktop despite both the desktop and the laptop having very similar RAM (2GB).

Patch SH3 on the Vista laptop and it doesn't want to play, however, patch it further with GWX and it runs just fine, however, the no CD patch doesn't work.

Before anyone says it, yes I do have two copies of SH3, and yes they are both legitimate, the first one is from when it came out and the second one was a recent cheapo purchase for the laptop. I find it quite annoying that I have to have the CD in the drive on my laptop, as wearing out the DVD drive on a laptop is not funny, or cheap. This is especially galling considering I have not one, but in fact TWO copies of the goddam game.
Chock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-07, 04:23 AM   #67
_Seth_
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 93

Please, guys & gal's...Stick to the forum rules, or this thread will be closed or deleted..

_Seth_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-07, 11:57 AM   #68
Rilex
Sailor man

Forum rules say: "Don't discuss what steps you have to take to get SH3 to work under Vista".
Old 04-28-07, 12:55 PM   #69
Elder-Pirate
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 29

( Seth's anyway ) and you should pay attention to the or these Moderators may send you out on a , yeah its old but we don't donate enough for a newer one.

Seriously though please follow the subsim rules. Do you realize the mess this place would be if it were not for the moderators so please give them and yourself a break by doing so.
Old 05-21-07, 04:51 PM   #70
gj2020
Sailor man

Downloads: 166
Default Need some help

I'm running through some of these steps, just got a new machine with Vista on it. One of which was uninstalling the program. My grandson just lost my jewel case with the CD key on it. I still have this on my old machine and I'm wondering if I can get the CD key off that machine or am I SOL?

Found what I needed online. Sorry if this was a verboten post. I'm good to go again! I'm still gonna have a little talking to with that little poo!

Last edited by gj2020; 05-21-07 at 08:43 PM.
gj2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-07, 05:18 PM   #71
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

This problem is so easy it's childs play. And I mean childs play. I've only been useing a computer since 9- 20004. Partition hard drive .... put XP on one part so you can play SH3 and other games that are hard with VISTA. Put the games like SH4 and other games with no problem with
Vista on ........ Well I think you got it.

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-07, 12:25 PM   #72
englando
Swabbie

Default Vista update

Ok here goes, ive been trying for at least a week now to get SH3 to work on Vista.

After many attempts of installing nd uninstalling, the problems i was having was it would install the game, install the update but would not recognise it nor would it let me load GWX mod so with some help from the ppl on this site I am now able to use SH3 GWX fully. This is how I had to install mine.

ok start clean with SH3, remove all files associated to SH3 to either a disk or another hard drive pref external and one you can turn off so vista doesn't detect it with SH3 files. Before you load anything on you must right click everytime and run as Admin or it wont work or recognise any updates even tho it wil install them etc.

so:
(right click) load SH3
(right clcik) load 1.4b patch
(right click) load GWX mod
now right click on the new SH3 GWX shortcut and run as mod or it wont let you run it at all.
it will tell you to restart and this should be your first restart too.

Once it loads back up click on SH3 GWX shortcut and this time it should come up with drivers incompatable so here is where you load in Starforce and update its drivers, it will then ask to restart again.

Once it loads back up you should be good to go without any more right clicking and running as admin.

hope this helps as it worked for me.
englando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-07, 02:02 AM   #73
kiwi_2005
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 223
Uploads: 1

Installed SH3, GWX, played same nite happily singing "Its a long way to tipperary" tune....

......Few hrs later

WARNING RANT IN PROGRESS:
Restart PC and Vista went mental. No loading into windows, drive making werid noises, after what seem like friggin hrs i manage to load up vista in Safe mode with Command prompt option, i deleted SH3 restarted and PC is back to normal, restarted pc couple of times to make sure and its sweet as. It seems Vista Ultimate dont like Starforce yes i did update SF to the latest without it Vista wont load it. The SF update is a load of crap it practically ruined my windows.
I could go back to winxp but why should i when everything else works. Damn it.

Unless theres a way to run sh3 & gwx without that SF i'll have to miss out on this.

Oh well least i can say i have tried gwx

End of Rant.

*Any solutions welcome as im not giving up yet*

9:19pm
Reinstalled SH3, added 1.4b patch, this time i add the 1.04b fix while giving starforce the finger then GWX and gwx1.03 patch. Loaded up GWX. played game for a while, went out restarted pc, loadup GWX, played around in game again and restarted pc - no errors on restart. I think i can confirm the VISTA v Starforce issues are fixed.
No problems.

Those who can't laugh at themselves leave the job to others.

Last edited by kiwi_2005; 05-27-07 at 04:34 AM.
kiwi_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-07, 12:53 AM   #74
loreed
Torpedoman

Downloads: 83
Default Are you runnint 32 bit or 64 bit?

KIWI, I ahve vista ultimate 32 and SHIII works with the Starforce patch. I have had problems with other installed programs mucking about with important .dll's which gave me fits on other programs so you migh want to take inventory or what's installed and see if there is something there that has installed conflicting drivers. Also make sure Vista is up to date as there have been a few recent patches from Uncle Bill that addressed compatability issues.

Not much, but its all I have at the moment.
loreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-07, 08:32 PM   #75
Marcus Slavik
Swabbie

this may help all those who have Vista for more than just SH3 installing
the UAC is a pain in the ass
messes with tons of stuff (like logitech mouse software as well)
to disable UAC
go to start and in the search type "msconfig"
and open the program
then go to the "tools" tab
scroll down to "disable UAC"
youll have to restart for it to take effect, it wont turn on unless you re-enable it
happy hunting folks, lemme know if this works for you
Marcus Slavik is offline   Reply With Quote