SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-05-13, 07:38 PM   #2686
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

I think you need to increase the size of the radio room to include a little more of the superstructure. The Armor level needs to be some value other than -1. I think 1 would suffice (radio is very thin metal). Hit points needs to be way less than 30 also. I was having fun with the new patch (and the guy sitting next to me on the plane is really interested in it also ) and was unable to knock the radio out with one shot of the deck gun. If you don't knock it out with one shot then unit radios for assistance. I had to lower the hitpoints down to 5 just to be able to take it out with one shot Now I'm waiting for the AI crew to fix the radio and then radio for assistance
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-13, 07:42 PM   #2687
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
I think you need to increase the size of the radio room to include a little more of the superstructure. The Armor level needs to be some value other than -1. I think 1 would suffice (radio is very thin metal). Hit points needs to be way less than 30 also.

If you don't knock it out with one shot then unit radios for assistance. I had to lower the hitpoints down to 5 just to be able to take it out with one shot Now I'm waiting for the AI crew to fix the radio and then radio for assistance
Okay, I knew there was going to be some finetuning involved. I am taking note of your suggestions

Quote:
...I was having fun with the new patch (and the guy sitting next to me on the plane is really interested in it also )...
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-13, 08:05 PM   #2688
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
The Armor level needs to be some value other than -1. I think 1 would suffice (radio is very thin metal).
I am having a second thought on your armor level suggestion.

Radio equipment was protected by a thin metal sheet, fair enough, but before damaging it, a shell should have penetrated superstructure's wall/ceiling. Warhship's command decks and superstructure were often reinforced with armor plate, though not as thick as their hull.

I would set RadioRoom's AP to -0.5 or -0.33, but I think I have read somewhere that decimal numbers are not compatible with parent-relative settings. This leaves me with just one option: making the calculations manually, and setting radioroom's AP individually for each ship
Old 08-05-13, 08:10 PM   #2689
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post

Radio equipment was protected by a thin metal sheet, fair enough, but before damaging it, a shell should have penetrated superstructure's wall/ceiling. Warhship's command decks and superstructure were often reinforced with armor plate, though not as thick as their hull.

I would set RadioRoom's AP to -0.5 or -0.33, but I think I have read somewhere that decimal numbers are not compatible with parent-relative settings. This leaves me with just one option: making the calculations manually, and setting radioroom's AP individually for each ship
negative decimal numbers should be fine I'm pretty sure I posted about this in this thread some time ago.

Found a bug in the current version. I forgot to include the new zones of radio and the antennas in the zones crew is allowed to repair I'll have to release a revised version here soon.
Old 08-05-13, 08:17 PM   #2690
7thSeal
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 199
Uploads: 0

Quote:

Is it possible having separate levels of damage for armor piercing and explosive rounds for the radio? Like maybe the armor piercing rounds able to take out the radio quicker.
7thSeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-13, 08:28 PM   #2691
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
negative decimal numbers should be fine I'm pretty sure I posted about this in this thread some time ago.
Excellent! This will spare me the hassle to set AP's manually for each ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thSeal View Post
Is it possible having separate levels of damage for armor piercing and explosive rounds for the radio? Like maybe the armor piercing rounds able to take out the radio quicker.
Yes, this is how shells are set (without need of any tweak): HE rounds have a wider blast radius than AP shells at the cost of a lower armor penetration, but if they manage to penetrate a zone, they also make more damage.
Old 08-05-13, 08:35 PM   #2692
7thSeal
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 199

I see, so with AP being used against radio you'd likely reach the zone quicker but would need to be more precise with your aiming.
7thSeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-13, 08:56 PM   #2693
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thSeal View Post
I see, so with AP being used against radio you'd likely reach the zone quicker but would need to be more precise with your aiming.
To my knowledge, the only advantage of using AP shells would be with more heavily armored ships/zones, in case HE shells fail to penetrate them.
This is relative to any ship compartment, not only radio rooms.
Old 08-05-13, 09:15 PM   #2694
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Just verified negative numbers other than -1 are acceptable as armor level in zone file. I set the radio room to -0.5 and saw AP of zone(box) in game as 7.5 (unit was 15).

The radio room box needs to extend all the way out to the sides of the ship (or out to the sides of the width of the biggest box it's part of). The max radius of the AP shell is 0.2 and I never incur any damage to the radio room even when I hit it square on the side (NLL). The radius from impact point to the radio room box is always around 0.37 thus it never incurs any damage (0.2 is max radius of AP shell) .

I widened the radio room box and finally got the impact radius to around 0.15 (AP shell). This resulted in damage to the radio room box of only 1.7 HPs. Clearly this is not 50% of it's HPs (30) so taking out the radio room with one shot is currently not possible.

I think widening the radio room's box, setting the armor value to -0.5 or -0.33 and reducing HPs to 10-15 might do it. It's going to take lots of testing to figure out correct values

The radio patch says if radio room and/or antenna is > 50% damaged then unit is unable to send/receive radio. We need to get the damage with one shell hit to 60-75%.
Old 08-05-13, 09:40 PM   #2695
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Just verified negative numbers other than -1 are acceptable as armor level in zone file. I set the radio room to -0.5 and saw AP of zone(box) in game as 7.5 (unit was 15).

Quote:
The radio room box needs to extend all the way out to the sides of the ship (or out to the sides of the width of the biggest box it's part of). The max radius of the AP shell is 0.2 and I never incur any damage to the radio room even when I hit it square on the side (NLL). The radius from impact point to the radio room box is always around 0.37 thus it never incurs any damage (0.2 is max radius of AP shell) .
In other words, when two boxes are one inside another, the second box can only get damage from blast damage, i.e. direct hits are calculated only for the first box, and they are not passed on to the second inner one?

Quote:
I widened the radio room box and finally got the impact radius to around 0.15 (AP shell).
Instead of widening radioroom boxes abnormally, what about scaling down/splitting nearby zones, so to avoid zone overlappings as much as possible? I like damage boxes to follow ships' meshes as closely as possible

Quote:
This resulted in damage to the radio room box of only 1.7 HPs. Clearly this is not 50% of it's HPs (30) so taking out the radio room with one shot is currently not possible.

I think widening the radio room's box, setting the armor value to -0.5 or -0.33 and reducing HPs to 10-15 might do it. It's going to take lots of testing to figure out correct values
Okay, we are lucky that this is easily doable. In any case, I wouldn't espect an 88 mm gun to get rid of the radio equipment of a warship in a single shot. A bomber or another warship maybe, but not an U-boat's deck gun
Old 08-05-13, 10:00 PM   #2696
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 456

Quote:
In any case, I wouldn't espect an 88 mm gun to get rid of the radio equipment of a warship in a single shot. A bomber or another warship maybe, but not an U-boat's deck gun
Are you sure of that? Depending what warship...
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-13, 10:02 PM   #2697
gap
Navy Seal

about visual signals used by WWII convoys:

http://www.convoyweb.org.uk/extras/i...src.php~exmain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi View Post
Are you sure of that? Depending what warship...
A single U-boat shell disabling a battleship radio... very unlikely. As I said before, guns, turrets, command rooms and even decks had some armor plating. Not as strong as the one reinforcing their hull, but if it wasn't effective against an 8.8 cm round, what would have been its use?

Tomorrow I will post some numerical examples
Old 08-05-13, 10:18 PM   #2698
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 456

Hmm...88 german guns were used quite successfuly vs any allied tanks...

BTW, while you are here Gap, do we still need SM_Wounded_Unit_Radioing after new FX 0.22 release?
I have edited my AST mod zones like yours.
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-13, 10:22 PM   #2699
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi View Post
Hmm...88 german guns were used quite successfuly vs any allied tanks...

BTW, while you are here Gap, do we still need SM_Wounded_Unit_Radioing after new FX 0.22 release?
I have edited my AST mod zones like yours.
No. Those SM_x's were just for testing purposes and they are NOT to be enabled all the time.
Old 08-05-13, 10:25 PM   #2700
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
In other words, when two boxes are one inside another, the second box can only get damage from blast damage, i.e. direct hits are calculated only for the first box, and they are not passed on to the second inner one?
If there are boxes inside boxes then the first box that is hit is considered the impact point. The radius from impact point to next box is calculated and if that distance is > max range of shell/torpedo then no damage is incurred to that box. That is why I said we need to enlarge the radio room/antenna boxes so that they are at least the size of any containing boxes.

Even if a 88mm shell is not able to take out the radio room in a warship (but I do think it could) it definitely should be able to take out a radio room in a merchant.