SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-08-13, 04:17 AM   #76
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76
Uploads: 0

I think the worst thing about Midge is the fact she admitted only writing reviews for film she found either very good or very bad.

And she's appropriately named after an annoying little insect.
Old 06-08-13, 08:21 AM   #77
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
There are good movies I don't like, and movies I do like that I admit are bad.

The point here isn't her dislike of the movie. It's the way in which she expressed it.
Well, that is just it; I would argue that Das Boot is actually a very bad movie dressed up with a degree of historical realism. As a dramatic work, it simply fails due to the fact that it does not achieve the fundamental requirement of attaching the audience to any of the figures within the film. As such, scenes that had the potential to be magnificent and emotionally-charged fell flat.

Werner's offer to deliver Ulmann's letters, The Chief first being made to leave the boat to see his sick wife, and later having that revoked, Johann's freakout followed by his eventual pardon by Der Alte, the desperate struggle at the bottom and the eventual death of a large portion of the crew at the end were meaningless because we simply didn't care about these people. Why should we? Less than a minute of token exposition is given to Ulmann's story in the complete series, and none at all in either the regular film version nor the director's cut. The others receive only a one-line mention; "oh, he has a sick wife", "he's a true-believer", "this guy is a lovable scamp".

It is the same problem with Gladiator. Maximus and Der Alte (along with the rest of the cast) are wooden, two dimensional figures. Their presence is an excuse for stuff to happen, whether it be unrealistic as in Gladiator or relatively realistic as in Das Boot. Regardless of either, the effect is the same. With whom are we supposed to identify? The answer ends up being no one. For Maximus, it is all about getting him into that ring as soon as possible. For Der Alte, it is all about the boat.

In regards to this reviewer, if she didn't like the humor (I didn't like it either) or the gross-out elements, then that is fine. I am not sure that makes her small-minded nor calls for an all out assault on learning, but those are things I have seen as the norm here on SubSim. Sometimes you have to be big enough to let people have opinions that you think are silly. If I had posted every time I saw something small-minded or ignorant around here I wouldn't have time to do anything else.
Takeda Shingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-13, 10:36 AM   #78
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Fair points, and nothing I can argue with without seeming defensive about "my" movie.
Old 06-10-13, 06:06 PM   #79
11Bravo
Medic

Downloads: 157

Quote:
Midge says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion]
"Sounds of terror are in his ears; While at peace the destroyer comes upon him." -- Job 15:21
11Bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-13, 06:32 PM   #80
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

vs

Separated at birth?
Old 06-10-13, 06:50 PM   #81
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr-Berbunch View Post
I think the worst thing about Midge is the fact she admitted only writing reviews for film she found either very good or very bad.

And she's appropriately named after an annoying little insect.
This is why she is an expert:

Quote:
I've tasted many different brands of liquor filled cordials. None ever had the amount of liquor as these. There is practically 1/2 shot in each chocolate. Each a different liquor. They are quite good & quite strong.

Eat sparingly one or two. Each chocolate is practically a full alcoholic beverage without dilution. Don't drive either. You might fail a blood alcohol eating these. It is pure alcohol in the center which pours out like liquid so be careful not to spill when biting into it.

Quote:
I can also tell you from personal knowledge that anyone who worked for Bell Labs in the 60's & 70's all knew that Bell Labs had back engineered Roswell technology. It was common knowledge. We all knew about it.

Also, if you check the Nobel prize listings, you will find they awarded for the "design of the manufacturing process to make Fiber-optics. Only the process to manufacture it." (about 30 years after the fact) but they did not award the discovery of fiber-optics. The same goes for transistors which were the first item Bell labs back engineered.

If you thumb your nose at Corso, you don't deserve to know the truth.
Quote:
This bra is the worst design ever! Do not waste your money. I'm glad I only bought one. After wearing this one time for 3 hours, I will never wear it again. It will be in the charity donation bag.
The quotable Midge. Now available at Amazon.
Old 06-11-13, 03:53 AM   #82
Sharkey
Seaman

Downloads: 32

[/QUOTE]In regards to this reviewer, if she didn't like the humor (I didn't like it either) or the gross-out elements, then that is fine. I am not sure that makes her small-minded nor calls for an all out assault on learning, but those are things I have seen as the norm here on SubSim. Sometimes you have to be big enough to let people have opinions that you think are silly. If I had posted every time I saw something small-minded or ignorant around here I wouldn't have time to do anything else.[/QUOTE]

Well said Sir.
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-13, 10:33 PM   #83
TarJak
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 150
Uploads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr-Berbunch View Post
I suggest we all respond to her review, and also click 'no - it's not helpful'.
Done.
TarJak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-13, 04:48 AM   #84
L_DOG
Bosun

Downloads: 133

She was dam sure Misinformed about reality..
Anyhow id Love to see the Movie done just like that but only an US Navy sub and crew. I can only imagine the antics that went on.

Reenacting the 10.Komapany Großdeutschland Div.
L_DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-13, 06:43 AM   #85
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

I'm surprised Hollywood hasn't tried to beat it, but I'm also glad they haven't tried as they don't usually turn out very good.
Old 06-22-13, 11:06 PM   #86
Arnold
Gunner

Downloads: 22

In defense of one of my favorite movies, Das Boot does not glorify war, rather it is anti-war, in the portrayal of the futile loss of life on both sides. Since I played football in High School, my service in the Coast Guard and service as a Deputy Sheriff for twenty years, I've enjoyed teamwork and working outdoors. Das Boot reminds me of the esprit de corps, shared by men and women, world-wide, who serve their countries in armed forces.
Old 06-23-13, 06:48 PM   #87
AndreasT
A-ganger

Downloads: 147

"Then we have a redheaded actor with constant filthy, idiotic comments, obviously British descent who clearly belongs on Monty Python."

This made me laugh.
AndreasT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-13, 05:02 PM   #88
Typ-XXI
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeda Shingen View Post
Well, that is just it; I would argue that Das Boot is actually a very bad movie dressed up with a degree of historical realism. As a dramatic work, it simply fails due to the fact that it does not achieve the fundamental requirement of attaching the audience to any of the figures within the film. As such, scenes that had the potential to be magnificent and emotionally-charged fell flat.
You have to take into consideration that the book author really influenced the work of the film crew. He successfully prevented that the story got sold to hollywood and while producing the film he also prevented the producers from changing the story too much. He wanted it to be exactly like he witnessed it, not how it would have the biggest success.
In the end the author was disappointed by the film because the producers did make some changes to the story.
Old 07-23-13, 06:22 AM   #89
fastbikkel
Mate

Downloads: 11

A review is never objective, always subjective.

This article however is the same reason why "comedy" movies never get a high rating. Because people compare them to non-comedy.
In fact, a comedy can be a 8/10 easily.

In this case of the woman reviewing das boot, she has a fixed idea on how that kind of movie should look. I was glad she was disappointed.
Old 07-23-13, 06:30 AM   #90
fastbikkel
Mate

Downloads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeda Shingen View Post
Well, that is just it; I would argue that Das Boot is actually a very bad movie dressed up with a degree of historical realism.

The word "movie" comes from "moving picture".

So das boot is a movie for sure. Good or bad is determined on the content, in this case i feel it is good.

What people do wrong is taking the "classic" idea of a movie, romance, violence, dialogue and such.
A movie does not always have to have "love" in it to make it good movie. Although hollywood will likely disagree.

Last edited by fastbikkel; 07-25-13 at 04:57 PM.
fastbikkel is offline   Reply With Quote