SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion > Jutland
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-26-11, 10:53 AM   #1
crackaces
Watch

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Torpedo Shot at 16,000 Meters

This is reproducible situation involving torpedo range. Set "the duel" for computer vs. computer. The Emperor of India will take a torpedo shot right away at 16,000 meters distance. I would assume maximum range would be about 7,000 meters. A full runout of 4,500 at 30 knots and the Koenig Albert approaching at 20 knots 4500 + 3150 or 7,650 meters. (Take away a little because of the angle). I am not sure if one of these torpedos have ever hit but in one test case the KA suddenly sank without any messages about a critical hit.
crackaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-11, 11:22 PM   #2
Bullethead
Storm Eagle Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackaces View Post
This is reproducible situation involving torpedo range. Set "the duel" for computer vs. computer. The Emperor of India will take a torpedo shot right away at 16,000 meters distance. I would assume maximum range would be about 7,000 meters. A full runout of 4,500 at 30 knots and the Koenig Albert approaching at 20 knots 4500 + 3150 or 7,650 meters. (Take away a little because of the angle). I am not sure if one of these torpedos have ever hit but in one test case the KA suddenly sank without any messages about a critical hit.
Torpedoes only have to be in range of their expected impact point, not the range to the target's current position. If the KA was heading enough toward EoI at a high enough speed, then given the correct angles, EoI's torpedoes (which have a max range of 9830m) could have been launched at such a range.

As to ships sinking, there are no critical hit messages about magazine explosions for the simple reason that their immediate result of the ship sinking is painfully obvious, whereas damage to steering or propulsion might not be. What you usually see instead is a gun (usually a main turret for RN ships, usually 2ndary for German ships) being destroyed.
Bullethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-11, 07:35 PM   #3
crackaces
Watch

Ok I found another source (http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WTBR_PreWWII.htm) and yes the Mk II can do 13,500 yards at 25 knots. I would assume the torp is running slower for more yardage to target ...
Thanks for the post it got me doing some research ...
crackaces is offline   Reply With Quote