Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-17-23, 08:07 AM   #1
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Default This is the knives thread

...and swords, and other bladed weapons.

I wonder how many more are out there. Probably not many in Texas, though. Wouldn't you like to have found this?

https://nypost.com/2023/06/16/german...almost-shines/

Speaking of knives, I own two, both Kershaw Brawlers

I have had them for about 8 years, I got them for the spring assist quick opening.

About a month ago, I purchased a few low end OTF knives, they are so satisfying to operate. Super cheap but not bad
https://www.directknifesales.com/

Old 06-17-23, 08:44 AM   #2
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

I owned Katanas in the past, but no more since many years now, two were historic, one of that was quite precious.

I have three different Victorinix Swiss Army knifes, two of the Champion series, and their "Leatherman" equivalent. I love Victorinox stuff. Even their cheap kitchen knives are of exquisit quality, the sharpness of their blades last much longer than on other knives of that price range. That is also true for their pocket knives, in Europe its called the Swiss "miracle steel", and the way their sharpen them is a top secret of that company. The sharpness lasts very long. - They also have some good looking watches, made of granite.

I have two Japanese Damast kitchen knives by Hattori (64 folding layers), the company is economically troubled, but the knives are so sharp that it is scaring. One is a 20 cm blade length Gyoto, the other a smaller 10 cm so-called office knife. I do not use them every day, but grind them every few weeks with water abrasive stones (such knives are not sharpened when they are dull, but they are sharpened to prevent them from becoming dull in the first place). This is time-consuming, but very relaxing, almost meditative. A razor blade is dull in comparison. It's true what you sometimes read: a really sharp knife with a narrow edge can cut you without you feeling it right away.

My last buyings of quality knives were a most classic Güde bread knife of 30cm (this company was the one that introduced the "Wellenschliff" (serrated edge?) to the world of knife blades, and this knife is the classic one with which they did it first). The other was a Morakniv Garberg, blackened. Its surprisingly heavy for its size and has a thick grip, for both I especially like it. Some criticise these two points, but not me, I find it great. Thick blade, this is a robust tool. I do not need it, but I wanted it.

Last edited by Skybird; 06-17-23 at 08:55 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-23, 10:12 AM   #3
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

I am a Swiss Army Knife fan.

The Locksmith is my daily carry during the week

On weekends I carry the Wave, which evidently they don't make any more. The closest thing is the Wave +

With multi tools there is a delicate balance of size.

Some are easier to carry but the tools are not big enough to be all that useful. At the other end you have multi-tools with nice big tools but that makes carrying it harder.

To me, the Wave was the best balance of small enough to carry but having tools big enough to be of practical use for me.

I used to carry a dedicated knife, but quickly realized that it was a dedicated knife. Good for cutting but lousy at anything else. I find myself often in need of a screwdriver or something to pry/scrape with. That's when I went back to the SAK. The blade is good enough and there are plenty of other tools in the same package.

It is amusing to watch the knife snob YouTube channels where they argue about steel composition. Nick Shabaz used to be amusing to watch but recently he has gone off the deep end, in my opinion. He jumped my personal shark when he was comparing the sounds of different knives being flicked.

To me, there are three types of knife people

1. People who collect knives (ohh look at the dimascus blade and ceramic ball detente. Pretty)

2. People who play with knives (flicking knives like it was a figit spinner)

3. People who use knives. (I have a life and this job is a small part to get over with)

I am more the third type. While I can appreciate knife design, it is, to me, a tool. I don't want to have intimate relationships with tools.
Old 06-17-23, 10:17 AM   #4
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Is knife under same rules as guns in USA ?

Where you in some state can carry them openly ?

Here in Denmark and Sweden it's illegal to carry a knife longer than 11 cm incl shaft. As long it isn't something you use in your work.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-23, 10:25 AM   #5
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post

Markus

No. In many states a person can be licensed to carry a concealed handgun but still can't carry specific types of knives. No, our knife laws don't make sense between the states.
Old 06-17-23, 11:31 AM   #6
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Uploads: 13

This is my current favourite kitchen knife.

The Huusk from Japan.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-23, 12:05 PM   #7
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

JEEZE! i was gonna use that in the "who what where" thread!! My blades
of choice are from my extensive collection, many of which compliment a
particular firearm in my arsenal...
<The Emerson close quarter combat 7 has been in my onduty left boottop for at least thirty years; and been most useful on posts from time to time. The other is my original Snyder bayonet to my .577 Parker Hale Enfield for Civil War reenacting ...seen properly as I manfully defend my patio and flowers the last : a Davis stainless steel rigging knife gift from my boat captain used for myriad tasks on a Catalina in lofty places: mast-stay shackle tightener; knot marlin spike; and utility blade all in yer pocket!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 06-17-23 at 12:56 PM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-23, 05:49 AM   #8
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
This is my current favourite kitchen knife.

The Huusk from Japan.

I have been looking at that one.

Does it live up to the hype?
Old 06-18-23, 06:29 AM   #9
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Huusk: and check whether it is Japanese or Western-style grinded. If you grind a Japanese blade with a Western tool or sharpener or normal grindign stone, you ruin it. Japanese blades' sharp edges are V-shaped, Western blades' edges more U-shaped. The Japanese is sharper, te European is more durable (thats why Swiss knives became quite popular in Japanese private households). Also, Japanese blades often are grinded only on one side: when cutting, slicing, the blade then pulls to one side.
Old 06-18-23, 08:57 AM   #10
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus View Post
I have been looking at that one.

Does it live up to the hype?
I've been using mine regularly for cutting and dicing meats and veg etc, for over six months now without any sign of the blade losing its sharpness.

I agree with Sky when he states the sharp edge is v-shaped but have had no need to attempt at sharpening it yet.

The hole at the handle end of the blade allows you to place your trigger finger in and gives extra dexterity and control not matched by other knives.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-23, 12:05 PM   #11
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
…the last : a Davis stainless steel rigging knife gift from my boat captain used for myriad tasks on a Catalina in lofty places: mast-stay shackle tightener; knot marlin spike; and utility blade all in yer pocket! [/COLOR]

I am scared to death of heights. But when I was told it would cost me $80.00 a hour for someone to shimmy up our 64 foot mast to change a light bulb. I manned up and did it myself, in fact, I eventually made my own self raising and lower bosun chair and began charging others. The heights still freaked me out but I made good money changing bulbs, rigging and tuning other peoples masts.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-23, 01:11 PM   #12
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

No kidding. The prospect of ascending in a Boson's chair is unappealing to me as well. As for being scared of heights, my first short-lived occupation out of college ('73) was as a cable TV pole climber with Wecosa boots and calf-spikes for vertical ascents. Training consisted of climbing 90 foot poles and tossing a ball with two others on their respective poles. The first day, one of the newbies looked down midway up and completely "lost it"; put his climb-shanks through the boot calfs into his leg in blind panic. It fell to me and the other trainee, novices both, to climb up on the pole's lesser sides to calm him down; finish belting him to the pole, and belay him to the ground before he fell of his own accord. I didn't last long, having meagre electrical aptitude...the poor fellow who helped me later was killed on a pole sometime later when the electrical power transformer atop it exploded...I kept the electrical pocket knife after returning all the other gear; it's still out in the garage after 50 years awaiting the next household electrical chore (my meagreness notwithstanding) Here's one of my William Henry knives which i acquired a few decades ago. Titanium handled with Damascus blade and clip case; I don't ever carry it as I'm terrified of lo$ing it:

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 06-19-23 at 09:24 AM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-23, 09:49 AM   #13
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post

Where you in some state can carry them openly ?

Here in Denmark and Sweden it's illegal to carry a knife longer than 11 cm incl shaft. As long it isn't something you use in your work.

Markus
I really don't know for sure, Markus. All states are different. In Texas, automatic knives were banned for a long time, then a few years ago apparently someone changed the laws on that.

Quote:
In 2017 our bill removed all of the “illegal knives” in Texas law, finally allowing Texans the right to carry a Bowie knife, dagger and others in public. In 2019 our bill removed the ban on carry of clubs (including tomahawks) and possession of knuckles (including trench knives and the like).
https://kniferights.org/legislative-...ll-introduced/

https://www.houston-criminalattorney...tchblade-laws/

I see guys carrying big knives in scabbards once in a while, not really that often. No big deal to me.

Tags
knife, knives