SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-16-12, 06:08 PM   #4216
Caustic
Torpedoman

Downloads: 362
Uploads: 6
Default Savo Island Task Force

Caustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-12, 08:02 AM   #4217
xpirex
Watch

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0
Default I'm getting rather bored...

50 ships on mission 14 without refitting... annihilated 4 entire fleets without so much as a scratch... Yawn..

xpirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-12, 08:52 AM   #4218
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Downloads: 139

Unlimited Ammo maybe or a modded loadout?

Maybe try adding the RSRD mod to reduce the shipping volume. Really makes it a challenge in the later war years when Japanese shipping became scarce and boats returned from patrol without having fired a torpedo.

---------------------

Hylander_1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-12, 09:42 AM   #4219
xpirex
Watch

Not unlimited.. but I did have 1000 rounds of armour piercing shells just on that last mission. The rest of the game I have played completely straight.

I don't think I will continue the career mode though.. just way too repetitive for me. The enemy does exactly the same thing every single time.. so predictable. I can take on destroyers head on without even having to dive and although I'm still only on my second sub.. they all practically look and behave almost the same.

I'll try a few of the single missions as I don't want to deny myself the Yamoto, then Ill uninstall this game and try SH5..
Old 08-20-12, 02:29 PM   #4220
JonB
Bosun

Downloads: 10

I´m not much of a storyteller but the other day I ended up in a situation that I just had to share with you guys...

SS-202 / USS Trout
Tambor class
Middle of december 1942
Objective: Find and sink any enemy shipping.
Mod: TMO

After some cruising around and sporadic killing north of New Guinea I rearmed and refuled at the Salomon Island. For the first time in my SH4 career I sat course for Truk harbour, NNW of Solomon Islands. According to intel (the map) no subnets ought to be in the area so it felt temping to check the islands out.
Due to storm and heavy fog, I approached the islands with radar. I did a full lap around the Truk islands and couldn´t beleive the result. Not a single ship in the harbour but around the islands there were a total of 26 - 28 ships at anchor, devided into 4 or 5 groups. I marked all ships on my map and when the weather cleared towards the evening I did a full lap again, but this time coming from the outside going in towards each of the ship groups, going into periscope depth when closing, looking, going back out and then on to the next group. My route reminded of a star on the map and it took well into the second day to complete it.

All groups consisted of merchants except one group that was a Taskforce. The choice of what to attack wasn´t hard to make. In the middle of the taskforce I saw one ship bigger then the rest, called Yamato. I checked the recognissionmanual and the first ship in the book was the Yamato. It said about 62.000 ton.... 62.000 TONS??!!!! Holy sh*t, I have stumbled opon the biggest ship in the book!

I couldn´t restrain myself so I decided to attack right away. I regrouped in order to take out the Yamato first. You all know the drill; Battlestations, open the tubes, setting the torpedos according to the target and so on. I went with 4 torps on direct hit low on the starboard side followed up by two magnetic underneath her. All hit (since I cant take the frustrations of the duds I had disabled that ) so I awated any actions from the taskforce but nothing happened. Dont know why but I guess they have a long startup time. So I sail pass the Yamato in periscopedepth and finishes her off with my 4 stern torpedos to her portside.

Since the rest of the taskforce were just sitting there I also managed to take out 1 Takao at 15.000 tons, 1 Mogamo at 9500 tons and 3 Kuma Lights at 5100 tons each.

We didnt make it back home in time for christmas but we got the sailors ashore two hours before new years eve so it was a happy ending

All in all during that patrol, I had killed of 17 merchants and 6 navalboats at a total of 214.000 tons. My best patrol in SH4 history.

Ay you salty dogs!
JonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-12, 02:45 PM   #4221
fireftr18
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77

It sounds like you're still running stock. Try the supermods. I run TMO and RSDC. They make the enemy AI much better and not so predictable. It really adds to the game.
fireftr18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-12, 02:52 PM   #4222
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

Yea, load TMO and try taking on a DD on the surface, for that matter a armed merchant....You may last 30 seconds..

Stock is nothing more than an arcade game.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-12, 04:22 PM   #4223
xpirex
Watch

I have had the whole TMO mod installed the entire time... it's not so hard to confuse the destroyers into coming strait for you.. then as I speed towards them leaving only a narrow profile they miss me while I can quite easily pick them off with the deck gun alone.. it's really not that difficult.
Old 08-20-12, 06:06 PM   #4224
A Hidden Soul
Soundman

Downloads: 49

Here's a couple I had.

A Hidden Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-12, 10:52 PM   #4225
grottski
Watch

Downloads: 36
First Patrol

So I finally started my first career in SH4 after messing around in the sub school to get the hang of the controls. I started from the wars start in a Porpoise Class at 71% realism (manual targeting, limited O2, fuel, battery and some others). The mods I'm running are NavMap Make Over, Improved Stock Environment v3, and a skin for my sub (USS Tarpon), I can't wait until my gold copy gets here so I can try out TMO and RSRD, but until then...

I wish I figured out how to remove the HUD before this shot, oh well...

My first successful torpedo attack (Luzon Straights)!!! RockinRobin is my hero for posting the tutorial on the "Dick O'Kane Method!" Not my first hit with a torpedo but definitely my first kill with them.

The USS Tarpon sailing away from the carnage in the Luzon Straights...

First Patrol down, 8 ships 55682 tons, 1 AM62 Zero
grottski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-12, 05:02 AM   #4226
Crazychip
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 0

I had an incident the other day that I found rather funny.
I have been playing SH4 for a few weeks now and up until recently with absolutely no realism. So a week ago I decided to start getting more real and decided to start with manual targeting. Watched the videos, read the guides and went on patrol. Had a few misses and some good hits, but overall a nice tonnage. Then I found the Dick O'Kane method..... Jaw-On-Floor.

I read up on the method and excited I went back out on patrol. Found a nice big merchant, did the math lined up 90deg and got 10k tonnage easily. Sweet.. I was super excited with the success I had gotten. So I am cruising along on the surface in the twilight hours when suddenly... Radar contact.
A Task force bearing almost 90deg into my course. I had yet to attempt an attack on this kind of target, and was a bit hesitant to try. Pumped up from my previous kill I decided to go for it. Not much of a course correction was necessary and soon I was waiting at periscope depth directly in their path. I knew from the radar contact that their was at least four aircraft carriers and I had chooses the first one. I was watching the sound contacts for the leading destroyer..... it passed me. I was not detected.. I could feel the adrenalin. This would be the firs time I tried for such a big target. "Up Attack Periscope" Looking down bearing 345. The carrier came into view, merely 900 meters ahead. "Fire tube 1", ...tube 2, 3, 4 ,5 ,6. Leave nothing to chance here.

Torpedo Impact!
2, 3, 4
Destroyed!

Wait, what did you just say?
Friendly Unit Destroyed....
*Facepalm*

Lessons to be learned from this always look at the flag....
Crazychip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-12, 07:31 AM   #4227
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

Crazychip, I sympathize! Been playing the Silent Service, but decided to give the ATO a try. Installed OM/OMEGU. AWESOME mod! First war patrol, cruising the Nodrsee in U-47 in SEP39 on my way to patrol the Western Approaches. Fat passenger/cargo, book says 9000t. Nailed it! Watching through the scope as it sank. T'was then I saw the Swedish flag! Uff da!

Lesson to be learned indeed!
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-12, 11:00 AM   #4228
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

Last edited by Armistead; 08-30-12 at 11:46 AM.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-12, 08:28 PM   #4229
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Downloads: 139

Man! That is just gorgeous Armistead! You gotta release that env. mod of yours!

---------------------

Hylander_1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-12, 09:55 AM   #4230
Rilder
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Searching for downed friendly pilots radar reported a flight of planes coming in, not really willing and risk losing any leads on possible pilots I elected to stay on the surface. They came in low and my AA opened up causing one of the Kates to steer off course right into one of his friends, causing this to happen:

Tags
screenshots