SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-22-08, 10:34 PM   #1
Castout
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 6
Default Hey would you like be interested in this little mod based on LWAMI?

Here's the Readme. I don't know what to call this small simple mod. Extension mod for LWAMI 308?

Changes to LWAMI 3.08
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Seawolf now has a silent speed of 25 knots as claimed by the US Navy.
The passive sonars of the Seawolf have been properly modified to reflect
Seawolf's higher operating speeds. This modification is based only by estimate guessing.
Now I feel more confident commanding the Seawolf. The ultimate underwater
stealth technology of the US Navy.

Both Akula II and Akula I improved have been made a little noisier than the US
Improved Los Angeles class submarine. Akula II is still quieter than the AKula
I improved though.

All the radio floating wire have been lengthened 4 times the stock length and
triple its buoyancy.Now it is possible to receive radio comm at deeper depths
and higher speed.The time to fully deploy the floating wire has been
appropriately lengthened 4 times over.

Feel free to post your comments
Just PM me on subsim

I do not claim the changes would make the game closer to reality.
However I made these changes to make the game more realistic in my own personal

opinion and taste. I made the changes based on only estimated guessing.

All changes are based on LWAMI 3.08.
---------------------------------------------------------

For installation back up your whole Database directory.->rename it something else

Put the object.eod into your database directory->Put the new database folder into game installation folder

Put the testSeawolf.mu scenario file in your scenario directory->Ignore this. Sorry. I didn't include this file

---------------------------------------------------------
I've included a modified torpedo.txt doctrine file which was posted by Bill Nichols on subsim a while ago.
It made the torpedoes to run at max speed when pinging or to 40 knots when set
to passive. when not activated the torpedoes will move at a preset speed.
So this enable us to launch a slow speed torpedo.

The idea was not mine. I just made the changes based on what was posted on the
forum. The idea was Xavier. M's.

Castout
-----------------------------------------------------------
New Link and files

http://files.filefront.com/ExtendedMod+fixedrar/;1

Old one contains faulty Kilo battery sorry

And now the entire Database files are included. Should be okay.

Last edited by Castout; 10-23-08 at 12:14 PM.
Castout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-08, 12:10 AM   #2
Castout
Silent Hunter

I'm looking for feedback especially on the floating wire length and buoyancy.

Because this actually redefines the tactical picture of the role of a submarine in a fleet operation. In that now a sub is part of the fleet not fully cut of from it. Now the sub is not oblivious as long as it is not diving too deep or at relatively high speeds.

With the length being 4 times over and buoyancy 3 times over the sub now can still read tactical pictures from the fleet or nearby maritime patrol aircraft even while not near surface or periscope depth and while traveling at medium speed. Not only that the sub is now even able to add its solution to the fleet tactical picture which is perhaps more useful for multiplayer games.

Did I overdone this? If so what's the more appropriate radio wire length? and its buoyancy? I feel the stock is rather ridiculously short to be useful.
Old 10-23-08, 06:10 AM   #3
Castout
Silent Hunter

Though the floating wire is now quite long(2000 feet to 2400 feet) your speed must be low in order to have a radio link with the wire.

This is because the wire's tension needs to be low in order it to float successfully to the surface.

If you are traveling at high speed or more than 5 knots the wire would be dragged under by the seawater above it because the wire starts from the sub itself all the way to the surface and hence a portion of it will always be underwater and hence that portion will be dragged under by your excess speed which is causing the seawater flow around the submerged wire to drag the whole wire down(increasing the wire's tension).

Increasing the buoyancy of the floating wire will not help you gain more speed but rather merely increases the depths at which you could establish radio link with your wire. Your speed will still be limited to about 5 knots. This is due to the reason I explain above.

So now the advantage of having such a long floating wire is merely to increase the depths at which you still could establish communication with the fleet.
Now it is possible to establish radio link at depth of more than 300 feet(100m) only if you are traveling at slow speed(about 5 knots).

Last edited by Castout; 10-23-08 at 09:21 PM.
Old 10-23-08, 03:28 PM   #4
GrayOwl
Soundman

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castout
Though the floating wire is now quite long(2000m to 2400m) your speed must be low in order to have a radio link with the wire.

This is because the wire's tension needs to be low in order it to float successfully to the surface.

If you are traveling at high speed or more than 5 knots the wire would be dragged under by the seawater above it because the wire starts from the sub itself all the way to the surface and hence a portion of it will always be underwater and hence that portion will be dragged under by your excess speed which is causing the seawater flow around the submerged wire to drag the whole wire down(increasing the wire's tension).

Increasing the buoyancy of the floating wire will not help you gain more speed but rather merely increases the depths at which you could establish radio link with your wire. Your speed will still be limited to about 5 knots. This is due to the reason I explain above.

So now the advantage of having such a long floating wire is merely to increase the depths at which you still could establish communication with the fleet.
Now it is possible to establish radio link at depth of more than 300 feet(100m) only if you are traveling at slow speed(about 5 knots).
It is possible to increase this all very quickly - I can receive a signal on a wire in 1 minute on depth of 500 meters.
And in any speed. It is true.
You can it put as correctly - or as to you to like.
Old 10-23-08, 08:17 PM   #5
Castout
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayOwl
It is possible to increase this all very quickly - I can receive a signal on a wire in 1 minute on depth of 500 meters.
And in any speed. It is true.
You can it put as correctly - or as to you to like.
But that is extreme isn't it. It's not very likely. The wire will be so very long and the buoyancy will also be very significant in value.

What do you think the correct way for floating wire then GrayOwl? Help me out on this.
Don't tell me stock I don't buy it.

Right now I made the US subs have a floating wire length of 2400 feet (about 800m)
and its Russian counterpart wire length of 2000 feet (about 600m)
The wire now could accidentally be cut by the propeller because it is longer than the sub's hull. Like when diving with a fully deployed wire.

Last edited by Castout; 10-23-08 at 09:23 PM.
Old 10-26-08, 08:57 PM   #6
Castout
Silent Hunter

I cut down the wire length by half and reduce its buoyancy by a third.

So the wire length is now twice that of stock(1000 feet for Red subs, 1200 feet for US submarines) and its buoyancy twice as stock(-10).

But nobody seems to be interested so I'm not going to upload it and it is easy to mod them with DWEdit tool.