SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-28-14, 03:31 AM   #16
lecrop
Watch

Downloads: 62
Uploads: 0

Amazing trip!
lecrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-14, 04:21 AM   #17
banryu79
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 82
Uploads: 2

Whoa!
Is the gramophone still working?
banryu79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-14, 12:35 PM   #18
Kaptlt.Endrass
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by banryu79 View Post
Whoa!
Is the gramophone still working?
Yes it is!

Forgot to do this before I went to Alaska for my survival games. Currently typing this from a laptop in a floatplane headed to Denali NP. My buddy, thankfully, let me borrow his wifi hotspot.

Just got to do this then give my laptop to my dad.

27 October 1942, 0056 hours
Kaptlt. z. S. Otto von Bismarck
261 km. ESE of the Horn of Africa, U-181

Plotted course for Penang, Malaysia, and started out at 12 knots. Food storage is close to half-gone, and we will be cutting it close on fuel. I hold some hope that we will find enemy ships, for the purpose of morale now, not the war effort.

30 October 1942, 1321 hours
U-181

Radioman reported Japanese communications on the radio. This is a great morale booster and will be encouraging as we continue on. The weather is kicking up and a storm is quite visibl on the horizon.

1 November 1942, 1254 hours
Kaptlt. z. S. Bismarck
U-181

Currently in the midst of a severe storm. Had to dive to 50 meters before our pitching ceased. Will ride out the storm underwater.

2 November 1942, 0246 hours
Kaptlt. z. S. Bismarck
U-181

Surfaced again to charge batteries and oxygen. Storm is passing, and it appears we are at the end of it. Spotted two distant ships, did not pursue. Any deviation from our course could leave us stranded. Morale is slightly better, and I had the gramophone played as we stopped with decks awash, allowing the crew to enjoy the water and deep-sea fish.

12 November 1942, 1609 hours
Kaptlt. z. S. Bismarck
U-181

Spotted a Japanese patrol ship as we entered Malaysian waters. We raised our flag on the periscope as the ship took a closer look. Food is dangerously low, as is fresh water.

15 November 1942, 0849 hours
Kptlt. z. S. Bismarck
U-181

Pulled into Penang and met both the kommandant of the 10th Flotilla and the Japanese admiral. Before dismissing the crew, I gave them a code of conduct. We will be in port for the next fortnight before leaving.

===========================================

This was loooong. That storm actually knocked off some hull integrity, I think. Anyhow, we're halfway around the world, and it's getting hard (honestly, I was about to abandon this when that Japanese ship came up on radar). Also, trying to make it seem like a real journal, with small details. Is it working?

Back to Alaska! Oh, we're almost to the lake.

As much as I dislike it sometimes, I'm a tin can sailor, through and through.
Kaptlt.Endrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-14, 07:11 AM   #19
Aras
Helmsman

Downloads: 48

I am so excited to read your next post. Good Story.

"Though I'm past 240 meters, I'm feeling very still and I think my u-boot knows which way to go ..."
Aras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-15, 06:23 AM   #20
banryu79
Samurai Navy

Yes, it's a good story to read about
It is always interesting, for me, to read about things like the one you are doing... I like to consider all the different "interpretation" the various people here do with this game.
Old 01-07-15, 12:01 PM   #21
UKönig
Captain

Downloads: 1

agrees with Banryu79.

Always enjoyable to read about different interpretations or experiences other players have had with the game. (lets me know where I stand as a 'captain' myself...)
Old 01-24-15, 11:56 PM   #22
Kaptlt.Endrass
Sonar Guy

This is the last series of entries for U-181 and her crew. I'm really glad with the feedback I recieved from the start, though, and maybe I'll try some other crazy test before long.

1 December 1942, 1258 hours
U-181

Departed from Penang and began a southern course to Jakarta, DEI. Will patrol Malaysian waters before making final stop in the east.

3 December 1942, 0646 hours
Kaptlt. z. S. Bismarck
U-181

Sighted Austrailian/American convoy, dove and pursued.

3 December 1942, 0703 hours
Kaptlt. z. S. Bismarck
U-181

Reached firing position 32 seconds late, lined up shots on an intermediate tanker and passenger/cargo. Fired at 0701 hours, scored a kill on the tanker, damaged the passenger/cargo (early detonation on torpedo 2).

3 December 1942, 0712 hours
Kaptlt. z. S. Bismarck
U-181

First sonar pings heard, fully detected soon after. Dove to 75 meters and set speed to 1 knot.

3 December 1942, 0716 hours
Kaptlt. z. S. Bismarck
U-181

First depth charging. Attemted knuckle turn and released decoys as follow up. Minor damage to deisels. Put damage control on standby.

3 December 1942, 0723 hours
Kaptlt. z. S. Bismarck
U-181

Two more depth chargings made in quick succession. Moderate damage to forward torpedo room, severe damage to bow quarters and Zentrale. Fore batteries destroyed, flooding in bow. Put damage control to work and ordered 40 meters depth.

3 December 1942, 0729 hours
Kaptlt. z. S. Bismarck
U-181

Another depth charge run made. Diesels reported flooding, and damage control switched over. Pumps are being overwhelmed, and we are going down by the bow. Chief Engineer and two sailors are dead.

3 December 1942, 0734 hours
Kaptlt. z. S. Bismarck
U-181

Final depth charge made, too shallow. Passed 150 meters. Engines are attempting to give repair crews time at emergencey back.

3 December 1942, 0737 hours
Kaptlt. z. S. Bismarck
U-181

Passed 200 meters as flooding in stern stopped. Immediately switched all available crew towards bow quarters. Hull is creaking dan------

End of Kriegstagbuch

That's the end. Sorry all, but once we passed 206 meters, she collapsed. I tried all I could, but even the best aces saw their end. U-181 lies 73 kilometers WSW of Penang, far beneath the waves. All hands lost.

And that second depth charging was actually a Hedgehog saying hi. Anyways, thanks for your support, take care, and I'll catch ya next time!

Old 01-27-15, 03:59 AM   #23
banryu79
Samurai Navy

Code:
            3 December 1942
     In memory of Kapitänleutnant 
           Otto von Bismarck

Woot! Woot! Woooot!
What a trip! Kudos to you and thanks for sharing.
Btw, I really wanted to see you and your men come out this alive.
Old 03-27-17, 12:34 PM   #24
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

So ... did you really manage to make a trip all over the SH3 world ? How is it possible ? Steve said that it was impossible due to game engine limitation ...
Old 03-28-17, 01:49 AM   #25
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Downloads: 81

If you read the response to Steve's post, you'll see how he made it possible, and if you read the last journal entries, you'll see the answer to your other question. It's worth the read.

Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-17, 11:13 AM   #26
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargamel View Post
If you read the response to Steve's post, you'll see how he made it possible, and if you read the last journal entries, you'll see the answer to your other question. It's worth the read.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptlt.Endrass View Post
I should probably say that I'm using a mod of my own making. I'm working on opening up the entire map for travel.
This doesn't answer the question : how is it possible ? how does this mod work ???

I will try myself to travel around the world. Let's see what happens, that's not clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
SHIII doesn't have the whole world.
Old 03-28-17, 12:19 PM   #27
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Tested without problem. I was on the left edge of the map, I sailed towards west, and a few minutes later I was on the right edge of the map. No mod is needed !!!
Old 03-28-17, 06:51 PM   #28
Kaptlt.Endrass
Sonar Guy

A mod is not needed to sail, no...

I planned to put in naval traffic and bases in the entire world, however. It is extremely barren out there. However, I long stopped work on said mod as I've grown a bit wiser and realised there are probably very few people that would want to have this mod, as there really isn't much work to do out there or even be there in the first place. In addition, I don't have much time anymore as I've grown older and had to start leading a good life...being young and nearly penniless isn't much fun.

Last edited by Kaptlt.Endrass; 03-28-17 at 08:01 PM.