SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-03-15, 10:21 PM   #1
Delta Wolf
Engineer

Downloads: 155
Uploads: 0
Default Playing a US (Disc Version) version of SH3 in the UK

Hey Guys,

So i own a Steam copy of SH3 and have been playing happy for many hours.
I have always wanted to get a disc copy to run some other mods that i can't with Steam plus it would be nice to have a disc copy in general , however i want a new sealed copy of SH3.

I have never found one here in the UK all versions on Amazon or Ebay etc are second hand. (I know it makes no difference new or second hand but i just want a new copy)

I have found a retailer in the US that can send me a new sealed copy of SH3 for a great price however can i use that copy even though i live in the UK?
from what i have googled there does not seem to be any issues in playing US PC games in the UK as they are not region locked but i thought id just run it by you guys in case there could be some issue with patching or loading mods in SH3 given the above circumstances.

Am i likely to run into any issues guys?

Thanks
Delta Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-15, 12:09 PM   #2
UKönig
Captain

Downloads: 1

I went to Ubisoft.com and bought the game directly from them. Online download with the option of a hard disk, dvd, to boot, but I declined that (wish I took them up on it now), which would be mailed out at a later date. Maybe that's the reason I declined. Anyway, I went right to the source for the game and it only cost me 10$ canadian.
Old 01-04-15, 02:36 PM   #3
Delta Wolf
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKönig View Post
I went to Ubisoft.com and bought the game directly from them. Online download with the option of a hard disk, dvd, to boot, but I declined that (wish I took them up on it now), which would be mailed out at a later date. Maybe that's the reason I declined. Anyway, I went right to the source for the game and it only cost me 10$ canadian.
Hey UKönig,

That is a good idea i just looked at the Ubi store here and it's going for £4.19 that is cheaper than a McDonald's meal....

http://shop.ubi.com/store/ubiemea/en...unter_III.html

There is no mention of a hard copy being sent out and i wonder do you know if this will be tied to or need Uplay to use?
I guess you would need Uplay to download it again if needed?

Old 01-04-15, 10:34 PM   #4
Foggy
Loader

Downloads: 35

What mods can't you run with the Steam version? I'm running the Steam version with a bunch of mods...
Foggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-15, 09:03 AM   #5
Delta Wolf
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
What mods can't you run with the Steam version? I'm running the Steam version with a bunch of mods...
I have had issues installing various mods as well the h.sie patcher, needless to say I got them all working in the end with the Steam version.
I want to try SH3 Front end and Multi Sh3, I am not sure if these work with the Steam version however before doing this I have decided that it would probably be best to do a fresh install considering this install is well over a year old and has had multiple different mod set ups. I also have upgraded to a SSD so my current install is also a clone from my old HDD.

So for that cheap price I thought I would get a fresh install (Steam Free) and save me some time and possibly avoid some of the issues I ran into last time.
I have used Steam for years, have many games on there and are very happy with the service hence that's why I bought my copy from there in the first place.
It does seem that others have had issues also and others not.

I bought a copy from the Ubi store, they sent me a email with my game code and a link to the SH3 installer. I have installed this install to my games folder not in Program files or program files x86, it all seemed to go well but at the end of the install it wanted to install some other software to auto update the game to 1.4.
I thought Id just patch the game manually, at that point I just booted the game up to see if it would work all loaded up ok and to my surprise on the title screen it says 1.4 on the bottom right hand corner.
I also right clicked on the SH3.exe in the new directory and on the properties tab it says file version 1.4.0.1 and after some googling that is the latest Ubisoft version 1.4b.

So it seems the install automatically installed the latest version.

Cheers all
Old 01-16-15, 01:57 AM   #6
blackswan40
LSH-2022 Liaison Officer

Downloads: 589
Uploads: 30

Default RE BAND NEW COPY OF SH3

Ahoy Delta Wolf I have a brand new copy of SH3 still in cellophane the disk
is already patched to 1.4 has no starfore protection ill send it to you pm me your home addy I live in west Yorkshire England will send it Saturday morning
always best to have a backup if things go kitty wumpass
AT SUBSIM THE PRIDE RUNS DEEP WE LOOK-AFTER OUR OWN
blackswan40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-15, 03:23 AM   #7
Delta Wolf
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackswan40 View Post
Ahoy Delta Wolf I have a brand new copy of SH3 still in cellophane the disk
is already patched to 1.4 has no starfore protection ill send it to you pm me your home addy I live in west Yorkshire England will send it Saturday morning
always best to have a backup if things go kitty wumpass
AT SUBSIM THE PRIDE RUNS DEEP WE LOOK-AFTER OUR OWN
PM Sent
Old 01-24-15, 07:50 AM   #8
blackswan40
LSH-2022 Liaison Officer

Downloads: 589
Uploads: 30

Default AHOY DELTA-WOLF

Ahoy Delta-Wolf you have A PM PS watch out for the postman Tuesday!
blackswan40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-15, 10:31 AM   #9
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

And that's how it's done. Thanks Blackswan40 for upholding the finest traditions here at Subsim.
Old 01-27-15, 09:17 AM   #10
Delta Wolf
Engineer

Hey blackswan40

Just wanted to pop by here and let you know that i recived the disk from the postman this morning.

I know you made no mention of money for the disk when i offered so i went ahead and made another little donation to Subsim

Just wanted to thank you again for your kindness it is much appreciated.

Thank you