SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-12-15, 11:16 AM   #1
Jasonb
Watch

Downloads: 11
Uploads: 0
Default Change from the Usual Convoy

Hi all...

I'm up to mid '41 in my career, and whenever I find a Convoy up in the North Atlantic, it's normally pretty much the same setup, probably 4 or 5 rows of ships with 3 or 4 ships in each row, some US ships (like a T3 and a couple of C3s) that I can't attack yet, and the rest British ships, with one T2 and a three C2s, and then smaller merchants.

I just spend a few days hounding one of those convoys, taking out the T2 and 3 C2s, and as I was heading back south I came across another convoy! And this one was different, much bigger (maybe another 10 ships or so) and they're all British, with about 5 or so T2/T3 and even more C3s. Also, they're not in a standard layout, the front 10 or 15 ships are in 4 or 5 rows, but the ones in the back of the convoy are all over the place, changing direction, almost hitting each other etc. Basically as if they've been attacked (before I went near them).

Is this convoy unusual or have I just been always getting the more 'sedate' UK/US convoy up until now? Of course, when I found them I only had 4 torpedoes left, and 2 of them where in the stern, but I still had some fun with so many targets!

J.
Jasonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-15, 11:30 AM   #2
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Did you use high time compression? If so, my guess is they didn't like it and very nervously tried to keep their station in the convoy. Or they recently performed a course change. The front row doesn't have as much potential collisions to worry about.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-15, 06:06 PM   #3
UKönig
Captain

Downloads: 1

In the early years, merchant skippers didn't always do very well holding a formation. And their discipline was not so great either. But as the war dragged on and captains got used to sailing with each other, formation holding improved. It might not seem very accurate, with the ships running around all 'willy-nilly', but it is historical.
Old 01-13-15, 05:03 AM   #4
banryu79
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 82
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKönig View Post
In the early years, merchant skippers didn't always do very well holding a formation. And their discipline was not so great either. But as the war dragged on and captains got used to sailing with each other, formation holding improved. It might not seem very accurate, with the ships running around all 'willy-nilly', but it is historical.
As the saying goes: "It's not a bug, it's a feature!"
banryu79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-15, 06:55 AM   #5
Jasonb
Watch

I would use Time Compression alright (though not normally that high, especially close to a convoy).

It's weird though, *every* convoy I've seen in about 17 patrols has always been nice and neat and tidy in rows. Until I attack them, and then they all start weaving together.

This convoy, before it had any idea I was there, was half in perfect formation, and half all over the place. And a few hours later, it was still the same, it's like the second half of the convoy has some glitch and it just can't get into the formation that the first half is in.

J.
Old 01-14-15, 06:28 AM   #6
raymond6751
Admirable Mike

Downloads: 421
Default Details!

Congrats on your find. But the rest of the boats on patrol could use some details. We would like to know the date and latitude/Long of your find.

Sub skippers should share that info so others can home in on the enemy convoys. It isn't wolfpacking, but it is helping our cause.
Old 01-15-15, 05:12 PM   #7
Jasonb
Watch

Good idea, I hadn't thought of that.

I don't know how to get the Long/Lat, but at 4:30am on the 5th September 1941 the convoy is approx. 13km North West of the centre point of Grid AL38.

Hope that comes in handy to someone, if you get there with a sub full of torpedoes you'll have a field day!

J
Old 01-16-15, 11:51 AM   #8
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonb View Post
I don't know how to get the Long/Lat,
Distance to the equator and Greenwich meridian, divided by 120km. Then you have the degrees. The rest fraction must be multiplied by 60 to get minutes.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote