SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-11-15, 07:07 PM   #1
Doolar
Expert Shipsinker

Downloads: 360
Uploads: 0
Default Video Memory OPINION

Ok fellow U boat commanders , I have a Video Memory OPINION question for ya'll . We all have our opinion's on whether the best video cards are NVidia or ATI , and that argument could be as diverse as the age old debate on , MaryAnn or Ginger . I'd take MaryAnn if U32 were to run aground on a deserted desert island , if you're wondering . But anyway back to my question . If you had the choice between a video card with either :

2gb of GDDR2 memory or 1024mb of GDDR5 memory , what would be your choice ? The best option for SH III .

The system is older and will be tad beefy when finished . I have a ton of spare parts to play with . I intend to use this computer as a test bed machine , so I don't mess up my gamer ... thanx Jerry and by the way one card is an ATI and the other is a NVidia .

Last edited by Doolar; 01-11-15 at 07:39 PM.
Doolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-15, 08:24 PM   #2
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doolar Semler View Post
Ok fellow U boat commanders , I have a Video Memory OPINION question for ya'll . We all have our opinion's on whether the best video cards are NVidia or ATI , and that argument could be as diverse as the age old debate on , MaryAnn or Ginger . I'd take MaryAnn if U32 were to run aground on a deserted desert island , if you're wondering . But anyway back to my question . If you had the choice between a video card with either :

2gb of GDDR2 memory or 1024mb of GDDR5 memory , what would be your choice ? The best option for SH III .

The system is older and will be tad beefy when finished . I have a ton of spare parts to play with . I intend to use this computer as a test bed machine , so I don't mess up my gamer ... thanx Jerry and by the way one card is an ATI and the other is a NVidia .
I'd fall back on the old sailors' saying:

"Some is good. More is better."
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-15, 09:23 AM   #3
theoffizier
Seaman

Downloads: 133

Hey, go for the GDDR5 card of course, the difference between GDDR2 and GDDR5 is just to big (in speed) to ignore it.
See the very first answer at this thread

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...GDDR5-pls-help!

Also SHIII will never come close to using 2GB of VRAM, i recently checked the recommended requirements of LSHIII V6, and it was 1024MB of VRAM (imagine now the difference between stock SHIII and LSHIII). That said 2GB of VRAM for SHIII would be an overkill. Also even though the GDDR2 card has 2GB of VRAM, the loss at speed would be simply too much to copensate for the 1GB more of VRAM.

One more link

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/258983-33-gddr2

Hope that helps!

By the way in my opinion, there is not real difference between ATI and Nvidia (concerning graphic cards), i now am a user of an ATI-AMD card, and i am more than satisfied from its performance. Before, i used a more entry level Nvidia card, but for its money, it performed pretty nice.
theoffizier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-15, 02:44 PM   #4
Doolar
Expert Shipsinker

Downloads: 360
Default thanx to u "theoffizier"

Thanx for the help and the interesting reads. I was actually play'n with idea of replacing my current video card in my gamer, which is only used for play'n SHIII. After read'n the links, I'm now think'n that 1024mb of GDDR5 video memory is cool.
My video card is the "ASUS RADEON EAH5770/1gb GDDR5" I’m running 4gb of PC3-12800 , DDR3 (1600mhz) system memory and my "swap files" have been moved to a second HD. I do play with a few graphic intense mods , MEP5 to name one for example and my "frame rates" are very good, so I’m gonna pass on the video upgrade for now and add another 4gb of system memory.

thanx to u "theoffizier" ... Jerry
Doolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-15, 02:52 PM   #5
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Welcome to SUBSIM theoffizier

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-15, 03:46 PM   #6
theoffizier
Seaman

Doolar, the HD 5770 is more than enough for SHIII so I agree with you that there is no need for an upgrade to that part. Concerning your RAM though, 4GB is OK even if you plan on using some graphic mods like the one you mentioned and (in my opinion), 8GB would be an overkill for SHIII. Of course with that amount of RAM, you will be able to play and some other modern games too.
Old 01-12-15, 03:47 PM   #7
theoffizier
Seaman

Thank you ded poet, glad to be part of this great community!